Rossana88
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello I am Rossana, I hope you can help! I have just received an offer for the Adult Nursing degree course starting at Southampton University in September 2020. Does anyone know, more or less, how many times per week and how many hours is attendance required? I know the course is full time, but I need to arrange childcare for my baby and I do not have any idea about the Uni attendance. Thank you so much.
Nefarious
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can't offer you any advice on the specifics for Southampton, (especially with Covid 19 complicating matters and meaning you'll likely do more distance learning than normal.) I can however give you a more general idea of what will be typical for a nursing degree.

When they describe a nursing course as full time they are not kidding. It is easily equivalent to a full time job, often substantially more work when you factor in personal study and course work.

During sections of the course when you are attending lectures you will likely be in at least three days per week (Covid allowing.) During clinical placement you will be expected to work the equivalent of any full time nurse employed in that area. In a hospital setting that could be three 12.5 hour shifts per week including some nights and with no set days. Child care is going to be tough for you. The best people to talk to for advice would be the university themselves, you won't be the first person they've talked to in this situation and there may be some extra support they can offer you.

I've known plenty of people to manage the course while juggling child care, including one single parent with two young children, so it is doable, but you should do not underestimate the challenge you are setting yourself!

Good luck.
Last edited by Nefarious; 1 year ago
Rossana88
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much! This is really helpful. Yes I know it is very demanding and challenging, in fact I am still considering the opportunity. It is something I really would love to do, but I am thinking about my daughter and I am worried about the time I will not be able to spend with her. Thank you so much for the advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (56)
28.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.69%
No I am happy with my choice (108)
55.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
8.21%

Watched Threads