Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday my driving instructor said to me that next year the DVLA are making a law so that learners cannot put in for a driving test unless you can prove that you have had at least 45 hours of lessons with a driving instructor! Is this the case? If it is im glad im taking my lessons now and not next year:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I hope not! The DVLA are a law unto themeselves really, they would do better to force 60+ to have an extra 20 hours of instruction and then a test each...

ReputationRep:
    They are discussing it, but like most government changes they have no clue what they're doing so could take a few years if they get round to doing it. It's not the DVLA pushing this, just some thinktank who thinks the roads are too dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Hah. I don't know whether it's true or not, but that's ridiculous. I managed to pass my test first time, and have never had an accident (in over a year of driving solo) with only 6 hours of driving with an instructor. Clearly unnecessary. I agree that in some cases, people might need that much, but in some, it's utterly pointless.

ReputationRep:
    I can guarantee you that a law like that would never be passed, and your instructor will have misunderstood whatever he heard.

45 hours at £20 an hour would total around £900, plus tests. It would stop poorer people from ever being able to drive and make licensing subject to personal wealth, rather than pure ability to drive safely. It would also completely undermine the purpose of testing. This wouldn't happen, and certainly not under a labour government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    I can guarantee you that a law like that would never be passed, and your instructor will have misunderstood whatever he heard.

45 hours at £20 an hour would total around £900, plus tests. It would stop poorer people from ever being able to drive and make licensing subject to personal wealth, rather than pure ability to drive safely. It would also completely undermine the purpose of testing. This wouldn't happen, and certainly not under a labour government.
    So quite possible then.

ReputationRep:
    it will happen sooner or later look at the systems in place else where in the EU ... the Uk still has a relatively 'easy' route to a full licence

ReputationRep:
    my lessons are £25 an hour, and unless the government are going to make driving lessons somehow cheaper its a joke...

In the US its free to take your test etc

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous.

(Original post by Callipygian)
    That's how it should be. Any naturally bad driver here could take 60 lessons and pass after 6 tests, then have an accident after they have their license. Whilst there are better drivers who fail because of not checking a mirror or something stupid like that.

The problems caused on the road are due to the driver's mentality, if the decide to speed or do something stupid it had nothing to do with the drivers ability. Which is why the laws should be harsher to get these idiots off the road, not make everyone else pay more insurance and have unecessary lessons.

Anyway the driving system here is ****ing stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)

Well if you cant afford that then your not going to be able to afford insurance or tax.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if that is true. I used to live in the US; my brother took his driving test there, and he had to pay if I remember correctly. Obviously it wasn't as expensive, and there wasn't a few weeks waiting list. Just turn up on the day and get it done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I'm not sure if that is true. I used to live in the US; my brother took his driving test there, and he had to pay if I remember correctly. Obviously it wasn't as expensive, and there wasn't a few weeks waiting list. Just turn up on the day and get it done.
    Ah ok, it must vary from state to state, me friend who told me this lives in georgia

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, it must vary from state to state, me friend who told me this lives in georgia
    Ah, I dunno, I'm not entirely sure. This was about 6 years ago. But yeah, it more than likely differs between states.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.