Turn on thread page Beta

Off to Uni and don't know how to cook? watch

ReputationRep:
    This thread is especially for the man/boys who are off to Uni but don't know how to cook. I was just wondering how are you all gonna survive?

I mean I started the Summer and was gonna do a few cooking lessons with my mum. But I just can't and won't cook. I'm too lazy and there's more important things to do in my free time (like go on TSR, watch football, chase the ladies, etc).

I was thinking some microwave meals most days and the odd take away every now and then while at Uni. Would probably be a good idea to get myself a girlfriend when I get there so that I have someone to cook for me but even she can do so much. :rolleyes:

So what are you guys gonna do?

can you boil water?

ReputationRep:
    You can't really fail with Pasta. And microwave meals aren't a long term option, they cost too much.

ReputationRep:
    i cant cook either but i was thinking

Breakfast - Cereal
    Lunch - Soup
    Dinner - Beans on Toast.

easy

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry you will learn, if not you'll have to eat out or bring frozen food from home.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone can cook to a certain extent :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear. It really isn't difficult to find recipes on the internet and follow the instructions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    I was thinking some microwave meals most days and the odd take away every now and then while at Uni. Would probably be a good idea to get myself a girlfriend when I get there so that I have someone to cook for me but even she can do so much. :rolleyes:

So what are you guys gonna do?
    Well, I'm certainly not going to lapse into a pile of my own apathy and casual sexism.

Learn to cook man. Microwave meals and take aways will do nothing for your health.

It's honestly not that hard to boil pasta.

ReputationRep:
    boil water add pasta, drain, stir in sauce and heat
    put chips and nuggets in oven for appropriate time at appropriate temp
    get mum to make food and freeze it, then heat when necessary

You'll be a far more attractive prospect to the ladies if you can cook, even if it is just scrambled egg in the morning

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going to improvise to be honest. Its easy to put a pizza or chips in the oven, and even easier to make cheese on toast, beans or toast soup and toast etc.
    These things arn't even really cooking, its not like you even need a recipie book!

If your not sure how you do something, just ask one of your flat mates and they will probably be able to show you anyway.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Woah...you can cook! It is easy, you don't need to be able to cook from scratch.

Go tesco, buy a bag of oven chips, and a pie of some description. On the box, it tells you how long to cook them for on what temperature. So set the oven to that temperature and put them in. Then put on a plate and eat!

It is easy!

Cooking from scratch is slightly more difficult, but things like lasagne, spaghetti bologniase etc are really easy. Give it a go!!!

ReputationRep:
    Following recipes isn't hard, but if you wanna spend a fortune on microwave meals and live a life of sexism, then feel free, that's your right.

Me? I'll be buying stuff from the market/supermarket and making up things at the start of the week that can be frozen and cooked later. Last year I spent £20 a week on food (with some fancy extras like pancetta...!) and was eating a lot better than anyone else I knew, except those living at home with their mummies doing the cooking.

ReputationRep:
    If you can boil water you can cook pasta, rice, potatoes, couscous, ramen. If you learn how to use a frying pan you can fry chicken, veggies, fish and any kind of meat really. Add some creme fraiche, tomato puré, something else that is liquid, spices and you have a sauce. Then you make a nice salad (I'm sure you can chop tomatoes and cucumber and stuff) and voila! You have a lovely dinner! It's not exactly rocket science is it ?

ReputationRep:
    dont worry you'll get used to living off takeaways, ready meals, and eating out.

ReputationRep:
    Get an easy peasy recipe book :p:

Anyone can follow the instructions on packets of things, you don't need to be able to cook from scratch! If you're really clueless, ask flatmates nicely if they can help show you how to do things

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively, make friends with the staff/owners of the local greasy spoon, and you'll be on your way to a discount/semi-free food in no time!

ha ha you'll soon learn
    don't worry

ReputationRep:
    Having never cooked a meal in my life, I found it quite surprising I was able to cook chicken curry from scratch in less than 30 minutes, without using any curry sauces or anything. Fry onions; add a teaspoon of about six spices; add a tin of chopped tomatos and a dash of yoghurt; then add the chicken and simmer for 20 minutes - and voila, you have yourself a decent curry!

ReputationRep:
    I love cooking, I find it incredibly therapeutic. Cooking your own food tends to be healthier too, and basic stuff isn't expensive. I didn't learn until just recently.

Get a few cookbooks. There are books out there aimed specifically at students, at your budget and your possibly limited skill. Even 'difficult' recipes can be broken down and worked out slowly.

Cooking vegetables isn't hard at all. Steaming works great, you hardly have to do anything. If you've got a frying pan and a bit of oil, you can cook chicken, bacon, even beef or duck or something. Rice salad is a great thing to have - rice plus onions, a few herbs, maybe some chicken. Cooking your own soup is also mega easy with some onions, potatoes and stock cubes.

Over the past year I've learned to quickly make custard, bread, gnocchi, onion soup, carbonara sauce, chili con carne, shepherd's pie, duck salad, chicken satay, chips, and loads of other stuff, all from scratch. :]

ReputationRep:
    yeah I just learned to cook. got me 14 healthy, tasty and pretty simple recipes that I will alternate.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.