The Student Room Group

Reapplying to university independently for 2021 confusion

I've just sent an email to my tutor from college, but I am a year 13 student and she has stated that she will not be replying to emails from ex year 13 students until 25th August, which is too late for my issue. Instead I'm going to paste the email here and see if anyone can help me with the various confusions I have?

Over the course of lockdown, I've decided to change the degree I want to pursue at university, and with this comes a change of university too. I just had a few questions regarding re-applying and UCAS as I won't go through clearing, I'll take a gap year instead.

Firstly, I know that my teachers wrote references for me as they did all students, but they used the name of my initial degree in their references, is there anyway they could possibly alter what they've said or will I have to apply without references?

Secondly is my personal statement. I submitted my personal statement and received offers from universities so it has obviously been read and such and perhaps it is in a database or system somewhere, but the new degree I want to take is very similar to my initial choice. I was wondering if I could alter my personal statement I used (by this I just mean change the name of the degree and a few lines of text), but will I be stricken with plagiarism if I do this and use it in my new application, even though it was I who originally wrote it?

Another thing, will I have to create a new UCAS account or can I use the one I already have and just edit certain parts, (Such as the personal statement, the universities, the degrees, references etc). Assuming that I have to create a new account, as I am no longer an official student of this college, I will have to apply via the independent route which I'm sure I can manage, however my concern was with my grades. Obviously I don't know what they are, but I've made my own predictions and comparing those predictions to the entry requirements of the new universities I want to apply to, I think I may have to actually sit an exam for one of my subjects to improve the grade. So now, would I have to sit this exam in the Autumn or could I sit it in the summer and still get 2021 entry? My concern was that because I'm independently applying (presumably), I won't have predicted grades from a college so I was assuming that you could only input grades you have already received and not predictions, and as the UCAS deadline is in January, the summer exams would be too late, forcing me to take another year out of which I don't want to do.

I was only fretting because if the above is the case, and I have to sit the Autumn exams for 2021 entry, it would probably be wise to start revising again now.

I'm sorry for the long email and if some parts are confusing, I didn't want to dump this all on you on results day and because that is still a few weeks away, if I do have to revise for these Autumn exams, at least it gives me a little bit more preparation time.

So I'm just slightly panicking thinking because I've seen someone mention that if you want to apply for 2021 entry, you'll have to sit the re-sits in the autumn because obviously the UCAS deadline is in january. Has anyone know anything about the issues I've raised? Any help would be so greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey, I did the exact same as you - I changed my course and university during lockdown through UCAS. For your personal statement, you definitely can use parts from your old application and it won’t detect any plagiarism, and it states this on the UCAS website. For references I think your teacher can alter it you just need to ask them.
I’m not quite sure about what to do about your exams/re-sits as I’ve already done my A levels last year so I don’t really know what this year’s A level cohort are doing about those - it’s probably best you ask your college :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by okurr123
Hey, I did the exact same as you - I changed my course and university during lockdown through UCAS. For your personal statement, you definitely can use parts from your old application and it won’t detect any plagiarism, and it states this on the UCAS website. For references I think your teacher can alter it you just need to ask them.
I’m not quite sure about what to do about your exams/re-sits as I’ve already done my A levels last year and I don’t really know what this year’s A level cohort are doing about those - it’s probably best you ask your college :smile:

Thank you for the clarification regarding the personal statement! I did look at UCAS, I’ve obviously missed it. And thank you for the references too, I have emailed the college but they won’t contact me until Autumn, but thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending