Turn on thread page Beta

Getting a flat/house for a couple? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm acting a bit in advance here but me and my boyfriend want to move in together next september. He'll be 21, hes a barman, and I'll be 18 and starting an undergrad degree. We want a selfcontained flat, not a room in a house. I'm wondering when we should start looking? And is anyone likely to let their flat into our hands considering we're not postgrads?

Any advice would be helpful cheers!

ReputationRep:
    I've just got arranged a house rental to start on the 11th September, and found the place at the start of August. You'll generally find that property appears on the market about a month before the day the tenancy is available from, since tenants have to give one month's notice before leaving. You'd be lucky to start a tenancy the day you ideally want though, so best to start looking 1.5 - 2 month before you want to move in.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived with my boyfriend for 18 months now as a student. He isn't a student. I think it helps us that I have a part time job as well to suplement the income. Because he's not a student we have to pay 75% council tax so that's something that you need to remember. It took us about 2 weeks for all our credit checks and job references to come back ok. Sometimes landlords require you to earn over a certain amount to even be considered to rent the flat (although I think this is more likely when you rent privately using an agent). It took us about 6 weeks to find a place we loved. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    My friend has moved into a flat with her boyfriend now. They found it during the summer half term, and moved in on the 1st of August. He's gone into his third year at uni, and she's started working full time. They had one landlord who refused because she's not a student, but there was a fair bit of choice when they looked, I think

ReputationRep:
    What about if your boyfriend is going to be a student at the same uni too?
    How do you go about living at least close together?
    x

ReputationRep:
    i need some adv i'll be in bristol(uwe) by next week i already secured an accommodation on campus(frenchay mendip courts) i was told it would be more economical to leave off campus.someone tell me sumtin

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I agree with one of the people who said to start looking around mid-July. Bear in mind that a room would be so so much cheaper My boyfriend wanted us to get our own flat but it's just too expensive considering we'd only be splitting the bills between 2 of us Good luck!

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.