TeacherTraining1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I've applied to an independent/boarding school to work as a Learning Support Assistant, but I am now worried that I have aimed out of my league. I don't have a strong educational background (in terms of Russel groups etc.) and consider myself an average joe. I found the job on a average joe board site, so I assume they're not expecting much for non-teaching staff? The specifications stated that you need to have experience with supporting students (I do) and a good standard of education. I have no idea if I reach the latter, since they didn't expand on what 'good' is to them. I'm now worrying that they'll laugh at where I went to uni as it's not prestigious. But does this matter for a support role? I feel out of my depth since it's so unusual to come across openings at places like these. What are your thoughts and experiences? Also, the annual pay is the same as if I applied to state schools/elsewhere.
Last edited by TeacherTraining1; 2 weeks ago
Advertisement
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TeacherTraining1)
I've applied to an independent/boarding school to work as a Learning Support Assistant, but I am now worried that I have aimed out of my league. I don't have a strong educational background (in terms of Russel groups etc.) and consider myself an average joe. I found the job on a average joe board site, so I assume they're not expecting much for non-teaching staff? The specifications stated that you need to have experience with supporting students (I do) and a good standard of education. I have no idea if I reach the latter, since they didn't expand on what 'good' is to them. I'm now worrying that they'll laugh at where I went to uni as it's not prestigious. But does this matter for a support role? I feel out of my depth since it's so unusual to come across openings at places like these. What are your thoughts and experiences? Also, the annual pay is the same as if I applied to state schools/elsewhere.
I doubt they'll laugh at your application- but, even if they did, it's not like you're going to know!

With job applications in general, I find it's helpful to send them off and then not worry about it until you hear something back. Maybe they'll interview you, maybe they won't, and that could be for all sorts of reasons. But it's pretty unlikely they will think you are silly just for applying- and if they did, would they be the sort of organisation you'd want to work for?
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They might have changed their mind about recruiting as many are struggling - some have already closed recently.

I'd avoid the Private sector as LSA posts aren't very secure in them.
Advertisement
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 2 weeks ago
You shouldn't think like this :nah:

You have little to lose by applying and try not to be intimidated if they call you for interview.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
From my experience of private schools, they are more interested in the type of person you are then whether you are posh or went to a high flying uni. Yes they will look at your track record in terms of have you shown kind support to the pupils in your present/ previous job? I would sit down and think of examples where you have shown this before and write them down, just in case you get an interview. All the experience and poshness in the world would, I would think, be less important than a large dose of empathy and patience.

Good luck with your application.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (140)
37.43%
Take autumn exams (118)
31.55%
Look for a job (11)
2.94%
Consider an apprenticeship (16)
4.28%
Take a year out (66)
17.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
6.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed