The Student Room Group

Scottish Clearing Applicant Choices

I have recently completed my application on UCAS with a hope of finding an undergraduate degree I could possibly get a place on through Clearing.

I am Scottish looking to study at a Scottish Uni. It has been disappointing to find that the options for Scottish students applying are very limited, whereas, there are many choices for applicants from the rest of the UK wishing to study in Scotland. I appreciate that this is most likely due to fee’s.

For example, English students have a choice of 659 undergraduate courses on Clearing at University of Glasgow, in comparison to 13 for Scottish students.

Is this something that anyone else has came across/is concerned with?
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes I’ve noticed that too. If you look at Stirling uni they only list 5 courses for Scottish students and rest of uk have a lot more
Original post by beccac4
I have recently completed my application on UCAS with a hope of finding an undergraduate degree I could possibly get a place on through Clearing.

I am Scottish looking to study at a Scottish Uni. It has been disappointing to find that the options for Scottish students applying are very limited, whereas, there are many choices for applicants from the rest of the UK wishing to study in Scotland. I appreciate that this is most likely due to fee’s.

For example, English students have a choice of 659 undergraduate courses on Clearing at University of Glasgow, in comparison to 13 for Scottish students.

Is this something that anyone else has came across/is concerned with?

I hope you realise that your university tuition fees are heavily subsidised by the Scottish Government? You pay a few thousand pounds a year and the Scottish Government pays the rest. Hence universities in Scotland are told by the Scottish Government how many places they can offer students from Scotland. That's only fair if the Scottish Government is footing the bulk of the tuition fees. However, Scottish universities are allowed to go out into the market and entice English students to come to Scotland and study. In such cases, the English student is charged the usual £27k course tuition fees (spread out over 4 years and not 3) - a nice little earner for Scottish Unis. Hence that is why you are seeing 659 courses available for English students and only 13 for Scottish students.

You can always travel south and apply to an English Uni and pay the £27k course fees if you are desperate to study a particular subject.
Reply 3
Original post by mike23mike
I hope you realise that your university tuition fees are heavily subsidised by the Scottish Government? You pay a few thousand pounds a year and the Scottish Government pays the rest. Hence universities in Scotland are told by the Scottish Government how many places they can offer students from Scotland. That's only fair if the Scottish Government is footing the bulk of the tuition fees. However, Scottish universities are allowed to go out into the market and entice English students to come to Scotland and study. In such cases, the English student is charged the usual £27k course tuition fees (spread out over 4 years and not 3) - a nice little earner for Scottish Unis. Hence that is why you are seeing 659 courses available for English students and only 13 for Scottish students.

You can always travel south and apply to an English Uni and pay the £27k course fees if you are desperate to study a particular subject.

Yeah thank you I do realise that, but I think the policy is just a bit counter intuitive.

I appreciate that the Scottish system is good in that it allows Scottish applicants who wouldn’t normally be able to go to uni a chance. But on the other hand it’s a shame that come results day there are going to be a lot of disappointed people with good grades who will miss out on a place because of their location and the cap.

Would be good to just have the option, but maybe an English uni is the way forward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending