first year french optional modules at exeter Watch

*cath*
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hi, I'm about to start a french and spanish degree in september, but have no idea what to choose for my optional module.

can anyone help by giving any feedback if you've already done one last year?
which ones are good / boring?!

anyone else chosen theirs yet for this year?

i quite like literature, and am quite interested in film, but don't want anything too heavy going as i think it will be too much with everything else going on!

thanks, cath x
Modestmouse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I'm doing French & have literally just chosen my modules. I wasn't too sure about how many modules to do each semester, so just put 1 for the first and 2 for the second.
I liked the look of the French cinema module & put that as my first choice. Also think the The French Language, Present & Past looks quite interesting...
*cath*
yes im thinking about french cinema too!
looks quite interesting and i love foreign films, but have never studied cinema or media before.

Im not sure about the other one you said, I dont know if i would be very interested in linguistics, but then its hard to say as ive never studied it before!

thanks for your help x
Modestmouse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I doubt if it really matters if you've studied Film in the past. I did Art & Design Film at A-level and I doubt if this would be anything like that. If you're interested in it & appreciate foreign cinema then that should be enough I guess.

How many modules are planning to do each semester?
*cath*
i think i only do one as its a dual honours with spanish, definately only one for the first semester but im not sure about the rest yet!
city_chic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm also doing French and Spanish, and choosing my optional modules. I definitely want to do the French Language from the Past and Present (or whatever the exact name of it is lol). The cinema module seems interesting also, and I've never studied French cinema before... I don't really like the sound of the war literature module, though the death and romance in French literature option sounds better. I need to read them in more detail. The way they're each assessed also varies, so I'm going to look carefully at that.

Edit: ooh, I believe I've come across you on the Facebook Freshers group, Catherine
*cath*
hi yes you probably have as im in that group!! thanks for your ideas, its quite a hard decision to make!
Laurz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm on the facebook group too

If you are doing combined (I'm doing French and Spanish) then for French you only do one optional module over the whole year, and none in Spanish :yep:
city_chic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm sending mine off today... the deadline's 3rd September so I've left it a bit late, eek.

One optional module's not a lot really...

I'm doing French and [ab initio] Spanish too
winged_llama
Report 10 years ago
Bonjour!
I did french last year, and will be studying french and spanish next year.
I chose love and death in french culture, which I really enjoyed. Also, I don't think there is really an easy option- they are all quite challenging- but have a look to see how much is based on coursework or exams and choose one that you find easiest. Just a warning though, all the people I spoke to who did french language past and present found it intensely boring. The only advantage in taking it is that there are more options available to you in the second year.

hope that helps!
Join the french society!
x
city_chic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by winged_llama)
Bonjour!
I did french last year, and will be studying french and spanish next year.
I chose love and death in french culture, which I really enjoyed. Also, I don't think there is really an easy option- they are all quite challenging- but have a look to see how much is based on coursework or exams and choose one that you find easiest. Just a warning though, all the people I spoke to who did french language past and present found it intensely boring. The only advantage in taking it is that there are more options available to you in the second year.

hope that helps!
Join the french society!
x
Aw no, really? =/ I put French language past and present as my first choice. Then my second French war literature and third love and death in French culture.

Ah well, I hope I enjoy whichever module I end up doing anyway.

I plan on joining the French soc.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The French soc is great (or at least it was when I was on the committee, haha )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (148)
27.82%
No (384)
72.18%

Watched Threads