Do universities monitor the forum for negative reviews?

Watch
Anonyhummus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Sadly, I have noticed that it is difficult indeed to find honest, straight-up reviews about Postgraduate courses offered by UK Universities. I noticed that some extremely negative reviews get flagged up pretty quickly, even when they are based on genuine experiences. This makes me wonder whether some University teams closely monitor relevant conversations on TSR and quickly attempt to report extremely negative reviews, in the hope of having the latter removed. What are your thoughts on this?
Last edited by Anonyhummus; 2 months ago
thagirlhanna
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I've seen lots of negative reviews about the university accommodation I'm gonna be living in on TSR and very few positive ones so idk
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
StrawberryDreams might be well placed to offer insight into this
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonyhummus)
Sadly, I have noticed that it is difficult indeed to find honest, straight-up reviews about Postgraduate courses offered by UK Universities. I noticed that some extremely negative reviews get flagged up pretty quickly, even when they are based on genuine experiences. This makes me wonder whether some University teams closely monitor relevant conversations on TSR and quickly attempt to report extremely negative reviews, in the hope of having the latter removed. What are your thoughts on this?
TSR does have commercial links with universities, as is evident by all the advertising. The general rule is whoever pays the piper, calls the tune.

This is different from asking whether Universities have favourable moderation, or whether the rules of TSR are interpreted differently for a paying commercial advertiser than they are for a bog-standard member like you or me. I don't believe this to be the case: I think the CS inteprets and applies the rules fairly and consistently across the user base.
Last edited by Reality Check; 2 months ago
thagirlhanna
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
TSR does have commercial links with universities, as is evident by all the advertising. The general rule is whoever pays the piper, calls the tune.

This is different from asking whether Universities have favourable moderation, or whether the rules of TSR are interpreted different from a paying commercial advertiser than they are to a bog-standard member like you or me. I don't believe this to be the case: I think the CS inteprets and applies the rules fairly and consistently across the user base.
I love how you word things. You inspire me for my University work 😂❤
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by thagirlhanna)
I love how you word things. You inspire me for my University work 😂❤
That's such a lovely thing to say. Thank you so much.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I've seen a some negative reports get removed, but this has in every instance that I have seen been because they libel people at the institution in question rather than because the review is negative

The problem is that lots of people posting here do not filter out information which can lead to legal issues arising, and the moderation must then do that retrospectively to protect everybody involved.
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey Anonyhummus,

Thanks for you question, and CoolCavy for tagging me in

We don't usually talk about our moderation in the public forum, but I wanted to reply to you here so it's addressed clearly. Any member can report a post, which means that posts about different university experiences are often flagged by various members for different reasons. Our community guidelines remind members that we can't take down any posts purely based on the fact they may be negative; there has to be a solid reason why that post violates our guidelines. gjd800 is absolutely correct, if we do take down any posts that are negative about institutions in particular it's often based on libelous content, and for this reason it violates our guidelines. Although we do work with many universities, we are always clear in communications that we will not take down any posts that they may not like just because they don't like them, and actively show them how to respond to members who post negative reviews in the most constructive and helpful way. Our moderation team work really hard to make sure that they are making the often difficult but correct decision about any content that is reported to us, and our community guidelines are applied in the same way to all our members.

If you have any other questions about moderation, do come and chat with us in our Ask the Community Staff forum

Strawberry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
16.75%
I'm not sure (5)
2.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (70)
35.53%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.52%
I'm not a current university student (86)
43.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise