How to make friends at 17....?

Watch
Solivagant_x
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm 17 and getting VERY close to turning 18.....
I've been homeschooled since beginning of year9 and have always struggled socially to make friends.
we recently moved house, not too far from my old house. So I don't really know anyone here. I recently lost the only friend I had, my ex. and I'm struggling a little.
I'm fairly lonely and know I need, want and would benefit from having friends around my age to actually hang out with rather than being alone with my own thoughts lol.
I've trying to get a job/college(1x a week) or apprenticeship, but would rather not rely on this.
Is there a way to make local friends without being "weird" etc. like how do I find them?
I'm female and would like some girly friends, however some male friends would be great too!
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
i need help with this too lmaoaoaoa. the current friends i have i met online, usually by replying to their snap story or something. you could join clubs i guess but i mean idk if clubs still exist.... but i understand it's hard, i don't have many friends atm, i've left school now so idk how to make new ones it is a bit awkward

how did you get to know ur ex if u were homeschooled?
Solivagant_x
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i need help with this too lmaoaoaoa. the current friends i have i met online, usually by replying to their snap story or something. you could join clubs i guess but i mean idk if clubs still exist.... but i understand it's hard, i don't have many friends atm, i've left school now so idk how to make new ones it is a bit awkward

how did you get to know ur ex if u were homeschooled?
difficult isn't it. I've thought about just walking my dog everyday around popular areas and then maybe just meeting people. but I'm awful socially!! clubs I think aren't that common now, especially around this age too. and my anxiety would be awfula DN I'd cancel last minute lmaooooo.

we were both homeschooled. I had a small science IGCSE group that I went too, and then a cooking lesson and he saw me and then we started messaging from then. but our breakup really hasn't been easy on me and I need a good distraction now.
the home ed groups are quite full of people not quite my type. or I struggle to interact with, as I'm quite intolerant lol. my ex was one of the few I didn't get bothered by lollll.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Solivagant_x)
difficult isn't it. I've thought about just walking my dog everyday around popular areas and then maybe just meeting people. but I'm awful socially!! clubs I think aren't that common now, especially around this age too. and my anxiety would be awfula DN I'd cancel last minute lmaooooo.

we were both homeschooled. I had a small science IGCSE group that I went too, and then a cooking lesson and he saw me and then we started messaging from then. but our breakup really hasn't been easy on me and I need a good distraction now.
the home ed groups are quite full of people not quite my type. or I struggle to interact with, as I'm quite intolerant lol. my ex was one of the few I didn't get bothered by lollll.
lmao same i wouldn't be able to join a club tbf idek why i suggested that. my bad

i just got a job, i start tomorrow, so i really wanna make new friends but ik it's not gonna work bc i can't talk to people.. one of my friends works there which is why i applied but just my luck we don't have the same shifts, so it's a brand new environment all on my own yay i also think most of the people who work there are adults, and i don't really fancy making friends with 30 year olds (well, even if i wanted to i couldnt bc im so shy). i'm hoping i become more confident, it's a checkout job so i have to talk to people (im shtting myself honestly i'm so scared i will have a panic attack whilst scanning someones crisps), i find it difficult even saying hello

i would say go out more but idk how bad ur anxiety is, i def would not be able to, but if u feel comfortable w that i guess that could work idek. but if ur as bad as me i think ur best bet is social media
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads