I have a huge fear of losing my memory

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My mum was diagnosed with brain cancer a year ago and it’s been playing on my mind every since. I know how selfish I sound and I’m sorry. It’s just I’m 17 and A level exam will be here before we know it, and I spent literally 7 or more hours a day studying in the hope that I will at least pass with a C, but then I lie awake anxious about the next academic year and feel like it’s all going to waste...it’s not like I can take it in on 4 hours sleep. Anyway, I want to open up to a teacher about this, but they’ll think I’m naive and being inconsiderate because my mum’s the one who actually had to suffer, and still suffers, mentally and physically. Please help. Will I lose my memory?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
What makes you think you will lose your memory?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What makes you think you will lose your memory?
I don’t really know :/. I suppose it’s because I haven’t been sleeping that well - read online recently that lack of sleep can distort your memory. Also, I’m not sure whether I’m overworking or doing too little, as both obviously have their consequences.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It sounds like you're struggling to manage your mum's diagnosis, it might be worth getting some therapy. Sorry to hear your mum's diagnosis.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t really know :/. I suppose it’s because I haven’t been sleeping that well - read online recently that lack of sleep can distort your memory. Also, I’m not sure whether I’m overworking or doing too little, as both obviously have their consequences.
From personal experience, lack of sleep does affect you memory but only temporarily and it all goes back to normal when you start sleeping normally again. To me, it sounds like you need to take a break from the studying - it's the summer holidays, why not take a few weeks off and then go back to studying again when you are more refreshed? You will only get more stress and burn out if you keep going like this.

Have you spoken to anyone about how you are feeling?
Last edited by black tea; 1 month ago
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you’re just really stressed out and anxious. It’s highly unlikely you’ll just lose your memory out of nowhere. Yes, lack of sleeps etc. will affect your brain and how you think but it won’t cause you to fully lose your memory. You may be a bit more forgetful but that’s all!

You really need to stop putting so much pressure on yourself! I know it’s hard, especially in your circumstances, but you do need to take time for yourself! I really think you should get some support, either from a teacher or a health professional.

Is there anyone who lives with you that helps support your mum? Maybe explain how you feel to them and maybe they’ll help a bit more?

Tell your teachers, it’s important they know.

Just take a breath and relax for just a moment. Everything will work out, but it’ll only work if you stop putting so much pressure on yourself. Just set yourself small goals, for example “tonight I’m going to go to bed at 10pm and sleep till 7am” or something.

I really hope you’re okay! And I’m really sorry to hear about your mum!

Best of luck <3
Last edited by pepsimaxcherry; 1 month ago
thebiochemguy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My mum was diagnosed with brain cancer a year ago and it’s been playing on my mind every since. I know how selfish I sound and I’m sorry. It’s just I’m 17 and A level exam will be here before we know it, and I spent literally 7 or more hours a day studying in the hope that I will at least pass with a C, but then I lie awake anxious about the next academic year and feel like it’s all going to waste...it’s not like I can take it in on 4 hours sleep. Anyway, I want to open up to a teacher about this, but they’ll think I’m naive and being inconsiderate because my mum’s the one who actually had to suffer, and still suffers, mentally and physically. Please help. Will I lose my memory?
Stress has been proven to significantly impact your memory in a detrimental way. You should try and relax a bit more, repetition is the key to memory, if you keep on going over content then you’ll be fine! You should probably open up to a doctor about this, they can help you that way.
Last edited by thebiochemguy; 1 month ago
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The good news is... that if it did happen, you won't remember it anyway, so you won't feel any loss..

Serious part - on top of all the suggestions above, why not keep a diary/journal? Just a little practical thing that can make you relax a bit knowing your memories are recorded.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (5)
13.89%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
27.78%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
8.33%
No, I haven't received any communication (18)
50%

Watched Threads