Big Choice: Uni or Carpenter. Someone help.

Watch
crockett
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’ve spent 2 years in sixth form studying Media English and Sociology and am currently on track to study for a marketing degree at uni.

Since year 11 I’ve been interested in carpentry and joinery and have seen it as more enjoyable and fulfilling than any office job, maybe with better money opportunities and skills. However a mixture of pressure from my school and expectations from others made me stay at sixth form and go to uni (like everyone else).

I was told I was ‘too brainy’ for a trade which doesn’t really make much sense.

So, I am considering deferring my uni course and exploring opportunities in carpentry, hopefully starting an apprenticeship. But I know that it would put me 2 years behind, maybe having to start a level 2 course. Ideally I’d want to gain loads of experience in building and eventually start a company way in the future.

Does anyone have any idea what would be the best thing to do? Should I fulfil my ‘potential’ or go for something I might enjoy but would place me back a few years?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by crockett)
I’ve spent 2 years in sixth form studying Media English and Sociology and am currently on track to study for a marketing degree at uni.

Since year 11 I’ve been interested in carpentry and joinery and have seen it as more enjoyable and fulfilling than any office job, maybe with better money opportunities and skills. However a mixture of pressure from my school and expectations from others made me stay at sixth form and go to uni (like everyone else).

I was told I was ‘too brainy’ for a trade which doesn’t really make much sense.

So, I am considering deferring my uni course and exploring opportunities in carpentry, hopefully starting an apprenticeship. But I know that it would put me 2 years behind, maybe having to start a level 2 course. Ideally I’d want to gain loads of experience in building and eventually start a company way in the future.

Does anyone have any idea what would be the best thing to do? Should I fulfil my ‘potential’ or go for something I might enjoy but would place me back a few years?
There's no such thing as .being two years behind' when you are an adult, it's entirely a school concept.

Generally, it's easier to start uni later than start a practical course, and if you've got money behind you because you've been working, then uni in you rmid 20s, if that's what you decide, is pretty straightforward.

So I'd explore carpentry options and make a well informed decision, not one others make for you.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As above, I'd suggest exploring the carpentry option first and then have uni as a backup plan if you want.

If you complete a degree first (or even just complete part of a degree then withdraw but are given an exit award of certHE/dipHE) you may have funding limitations if you wanted to do a vocational qualfiication subsequently. It can also be a lot harder to survive on the first year apprenticeship wages (which are lower than minimum wage) when you are an adult living independently. When you're younger it may be easier to manage by living at home for that first year or having your family to help financially support you while you live out of your family home if they are able.

On the other hand you can go to uni at any age, and both universities and (graduate) recruiters are legally prevented from discriminating against applicants on the basis of age. So you really have nothing to lose by going to uni later if you do decide to go that route in the end
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (178)
58.75%
No they should not (90)
29.7%
Abstain (35)
11.55%

Watched Threads