French Novels Watch

shorty.loves.angels
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Bonjour

I am currently learning french (starting level 5 in september) I have a good understanding of french language ,grammar etc but I want to improve my fluency when speaking as at the minute I'm reading in French and thinking in English so not achieving brilliant grades.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a novel (or something else interesting if you have any other suggestions), that is written in French? And if anyone has (read) any which they particularly like then feel free to suggest them with a quick description

Most helpful reply will be +repped, thanks in advance
Cerulean
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Amazon?

L'Etranger is what quite a lot of french linguists I know where studying. Haven't a clue what it's about though.
Pollywollydoodle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
www.amazon.fr is where i buy my books from. The website is obviously in French but they deliver very cheaply and quickly to the UK.

I am reading:

L'étranger (a very popular A level choice)
Le Horla

Also I buy Le Monde and Paris Match (french newspaper and magazine) from my local WHSmith!
faber niger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Flaubert is the man! :p:
shorty.loves.angels
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cerulean)
Amazon?

L'Etranger is what quite a lot of french linguists I know where studying. Haven't a clue what it's about though.
Oo yes we've read a few passages from this. Never thought about foreign websites tut. Thanks for your help +rep, appreciated

(Original post by Pollywollydoodle)
www.amazon.fr is where i buy my books from. The website is obviously in French but they deliver very cheaply and quickly to the UK.

I am reading:

L'étranger (a very popular A level choice)
Le Horla

Also I buy Le Monde and Paris Match (french newspaper and magazine) from my local WHSmith!
Quick overview of what the books are about?

I was wondering if I could get french newspapers from anywhere!! Do you find that they help? I really just want to be fluent when I read/speak. Thanks for your help, I'll +rep you next time I'm online

(Original post by jismith1989)
Flaubert is the man! :p:
Ummmm, who might this be then??

(Original post by KayleeLand)
Tristess
Is this a book?? ... About?? ... Authour? Thanks
Pollywollydoodle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
I was wondering if I could get french newspapers from anywhere!! Do you find that they help? I really just want to be fluent when I read/speak. Thanks for your help, I'll +rep you next time I'm online
Yup they help a lot and it's surprising how much I can actually understand. When I was reading L'étranger I had a notebook where I wrote down all the new words I came across and their English translations (I needed to use a dictionary a lot!). But then when I read the book a second time just a week later I knew almost all of the words and I could read entire pages without a dictionary! Very beneficial!
faber niger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can get Le Monde from newsagents in most big cities. I know a lot of places that sell it in Manchester.
Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have a look at The Big French Book Discussion, and here are some French newspaper online :
Le Monde
Le Figaro
L'Express
Libération
L'Humanité
Métro
Reuters France
shorty.loves.angels
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pollywollydoodle)
Yup they help a lot and it's surprising how much I can actually understand. When I was reading L'étranger I had a notebook where I wrote down all the new words I came across and their English translations (I needed to use a dictionary a lot!). But then when I read the book a second time just a week later I knew almost all of the words and I could read entire pages without a dictionary! Very beneficial!
Excellent

Yeh I plan to do the same, gonna right words I don't know in my french folder though so I can take them to lectures

Thank you so much x
shorty.loves.angels
Rep:
?
(Original post by jismith1989)
You can get Le Monde from newsagents in most big cities. I know a lot of places that sell it in Manchester.
I'll have a browse round, I don't live within a big city though so I might struggle

Thanks
shorty.loves.angels
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anatheme)
Have a look at The Big French Book Discussion, and here are some French newspaper online :
Le Monde
Le Figaro
L'Express
Libération
L'Humanité
Métro
Reuters France
Wow... That's a lot of suggestions thanks I'll check them out soon, thanks for the time and effort
Fillette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
Wow... That's a lot of suggestions thanks I'll check them out soon, thanks for the time and effort

Also, come to the French book discussion thread (see my signature) where there are many recommendations of titles for your level !
Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fillette)
Also, come to the French book discussion thread (see my signature) where there are many recommendations of titles for your level !
Netta, I already linked your thread
shorty.loves.angels
Rep:
?
Tut, should have chcked there first really :rolleyes:

Thank you
Fillette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anatheme)
Netta, I already linked your thread

lol je suis aveugle, cheers Marion !
jonnythemoose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hither :w00t:
KayleeLand
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Am tres sorry, the book title is actually 'Bonour Tristesse' check it out on wikipedia* and the author is Mr Francoise Sagan. It's a popular A level text and is about a 17 year old girl.
KayleeLand
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
*Bonjour Tristesse*
elin89
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"Stupeur et Tremblements" by Amélie Nothomb. culture clash/different society for a belgian woman in japan. semi-autobiographical. also made into a film
tbravo
Report 10 years ago
It's a MS François Sagan.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?