Low gcses high a levels

Watch this thread
Reza_129
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So as it says in the title I wanted to know the very best unis available that accept students with straight 4s but also is pridicted 4 As at a level. I want to study law and don't know where to look. Please help.
LawStudent456
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reza_129)
So as it says in the title I wanted to know the very best unis available that accept students with straight 4s but also is pridicted 4 As at a level. I want to study law and don't know where to look. Please help.
I’m in same position (well worse I only left school with 3) and I’m hoping that they’ll recognise going from very poor GCSEs to high a levels as a positive and it will defo make me stand out.

Do you think you may be eligible for a contextual offer? If so then some top unis will defo consider you.
ajj2000
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You need to look through the websites for the best 15 or so universities for law and check GCSE requirements carefully. You need to see if you need to resit maths and english. Possibly you need to do this on a year out. Good luck - you can get there. Other than minimum requirements you can get offers from great universities.
Reza_129
Rep:
(Original post by daveymcloughlin)
I’m in same position (well worse I only left school with 3) and I’m hoping that they’ll recognise going from very poor GCSEs to high a levels as a positive and it will defo make me stand out.

Do you think you may be eligible for a contextual offer? If so then some top unis will defo consider you.
Yeah the college I do a levels is eligible for contextual offer but not the place I done gcses sadly.
Reza_129
Rep:
(Original post by ajj2000)
You need to look through the websites for the best 15 or so universities for law and check GCSE requirements carefully. You need to see if you need to resit maths and english. Possibly you need to do this on a year out. Good luck - you can get there. Other than minimum requirements you can get offers from great universities.
Thanks. I really don't want to do another year of gcses and want to continue with a levels. Hopefully universities at the top level accept the improvement I made and accept the minimum I have for gcses in exchange for very high a levels
ajj2000
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks. I really don't want to do another year of gcses and want to continue with a levels. Hopefully universities at the top level accept the improvement I made and accept the minimum I have for gcses in exchange for very high a levels
I'd be careful about this. There are two issues:

1) How will universities assess you as a candidate with poor GCSEs

2) What are the university minimum requirements for maths and English.

For the first of these you are probably just fine if you show a huge improvement. Some universities you may chose not to apply to, but you'll still have loads of options, and could always apply again after a levels.

For the second you might have a real problem. Universities tend to be very strict on minimum requirements so you need to check carefully. Retaking one or two GCSEs will not mean another year of GCSEs. You just have to tough it out while you do A levels. For example, UCL require grade 6's in both maths and English.
username5335518
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Depends what you mean by top level, most London unis and Oxbridge I’ve been told take GCSEs into consideration just because they have so many applicants, and use their minimum requirements to filter people out, or they’ll be overloaded. Other than that, they shouldn’t matter too much I think?
LawStudent456
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yeah the college I do a levels is eligible for contextual offer but not the place I done gcses sadly.
What unis that you looked at? Manchester?

Try loads there the criteria for contextual is different everywhere. The biggest factor normally is your home postcode
Reza_129
Rep:
(Original post by sakura_23)
Depends what you mean by top level, most London unis and Oxbridge I’ve been told take GCSEs into consideration just because they have so many applicants, and use their minimum requirements to filter people out, or they’ll be overloaded. Other than that, they shouldn’t matter too much I think?
I hope they consider me
Reza_129
Rep:
What unis that you looked at? Manchester?

Try loads there the criteria for contextual is different everywhere. The biggest factor normally is your home postcode
My contextual offer is based on my college being in the bottom 40%. I've looked at unis like Manchester maybe Birmingham, Exeter and Liverpool. But there's probably more just need to research more
LawStudent456
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
My contextual offer is based on my college being in the bottom 40%. I've looked at unis like Manchester maybe Birmingham, Exeter and Liverpool. But there's probably more just need to research more
Liverpool don’t offer contextual mate.
Manchester you won’t be eligible then for school.
Exeter do very good contextual as they give out BBB and Bristol and Durham also do contextual with low requirements.

York is RG that you may be eligible for but there is a compulsory interview for Law at York.

Leeds for Access to Leeds and Newcastle do this thing called Partners look them both up
Last edited by LawStudent456; 1 year ago
Reza_129
Rep:
Liverpool don’t offer contextual mate.
Manchester you won’t be eligible then for school.
Exeter do very good contextual as they give out BBB and Bristol and Durham also do contextual with low requirements.

York is RG that you may be eligible for but there is a compulsory interview for Law at York.

Leeds for Access to Leeds and Newcastle do this thing called Partners look them both up
Thanks for recommending some unis. I just done the uni of manchester contextual offer check and I qualified without knowing. It said my contextual offer was flag plus or something like that. And my postcode and college qualified so I guess that's some good news.
LawStudent456
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for recommending some unis. I just done the uni of manchester contextual offer check and I qualified without knowing. It said my contextual offer was flag plus or something like that. And my postcode and college qualified so I guess that's some good news.
If your postcode works for Manchester that means you’ll live in a quintile 1 area for POLAR4 so with that and your college performing below average you should be eligible pretty much everywhere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (65)
19.82%
The paper was reasonable (121)
36.89%
Not feeling great about that exam... (94)
28.66%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
14.63%

Watched Threads