Employer fired me for being in hospital ill

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I worked at a bar and got the job just before the end of March when lockdown happened - after the pub reopened I have been ill twice within a few weeks.

First time I had sickness, fever and a migraine, I got tested for COVID and came back negative. I was then unwell again and taken into hospital for pheumonia as I had symptoms of very low temperature and looked very blue. After I came out of hospital and after a few more days of resting at home - my employer called me in and told me I was fired for breach of contract and being off for more than 2 days in a month during probation. He was unsympathetic and unreasonable.

Is this unfair? I feel so angry about this.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 6 months ago
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/problems-at-work/employment-tribunals-from-29-july-2013/making-an-employment-tribunal-claim-is-it-worth-it/employment-tribunals-unfair-dismissal-claims/legal-tests/employment-tribunals-legal-tests-for-unfair-dismissal-claims-long-term-sickness/

https://www.gov.uk/dismissal/reasons...eds%20changing

i don't blame you for being angry and it seems unreasonable. unfortunately it's not so cut and dry. see links above.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I worked at a bar and got the job just before the end of March when lockdown happened - after the pub reopened I have been ill twice within a few weeks.

First time I had sickness, fever and a migraine, I got tested for COVID and came back negative. I was then unwell again and taken into hospital for pheumonia as I had symptoms of very low temperature and looked very blue. After I came out of hospital and after a few more days of resting at home - my employer called me in and told me I was fired for breach of contract and being off for more than 2 days in a month during probation. He was unsympathetic and unreasonable.

Please name and shame the bar so we can boycott. Sounds like unfair dismissal to me and getting in touch with citizens advice is your best bet. You dod the right thing by not going into work if feeling ill, specially at a time lie this. I’ve also had several family members with covid some got a negative result, but when tested again a few days later it was positive. It’s not uncommon. They also had pneumonia as a symptom
username2393237
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Please name and shame the bar so we can boycott. Sounds like unfair dismissal to me and getting in touch with citizens advice is your best bet. You dod the right thing by not going into work if feeling ill, specially at a time lie this. I’ve also had several family members with covid some got a negative result, but when tested again a few days later it was positive. It’s not uncommon. They also had pneumonia as a symptom
I don’t think TSR would appreciate it if the OP named and shamed the bar.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
Ok then a ‘i wouldn’t drink at such and such because the pint are sh*t’ would suffice. Some companies have supported their employers amazingly throughout the pandemic & others haven’t and i no longer spend my money at the later. I see no issue doing the same here
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
They should be nsmed and shamed, even for 20 minutes on this thread.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Get some legal advice?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you're in your probationary period,you have very little recourse. They can pretty much bin you off for whatever they like. I'd just move on, tbh
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What does your contract say? Was your employer kept informed of the situation with you?
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by gjd800)
If you're in your probationary period,you have very little recourse. They can pretty much bin you off for whatever they like. I'd just move on, tbh
But this is not quite true. Probationary dies not mean no employment rights! "if you dismiss someone without going through a fair dismissal process an employee can claim wrongful dismissal, for which there is no length of service requirement. Wrongful dismissal occurs when an employer dismisses an employee in breach of the employer's contractual or statutory obligations, for example by failing to follow a contractual disciplinary / dismissal procedure or failure to give contractual notice." a lawyer's opinion.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by mgi)
But this is not quite true. Probationary dies not mean no employment rights! "if you dismiss someone without going through a fair dismissal process an employee can claim wrongful dismissal, for which there is no length of service requirement. Wrongful dismissal occurs when an employer dismisses an employee in breach of the employer's contractual or statutory obligations, for example by failing to follow a contractual disciplinary / dismissal procedure or failure to give contractual notice." a lawyer's opinion.
No, but the terms therein are usually less favourable than the terms of the contract when outside of the agreed period

The only thing that is guaranteed is that they cannot breach your statutory rights, and it is not clear form this post that stat rights have been breached, indeed it looks as though the sickness policy applies within the agreed period. There is no evidence, prima facie, of any misstep on the employer's part

It is unfair, but without seeing more, there's no reason to assume any illegality
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed