Problem with uni house- moneywise Watch

Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
:o: Hey here's the problem.
In July two of my friends and I signed a contract for a student house due to move into in sepetmber.

However in that time I failed a few modules (nursing both theory and practice) So today attended a meeting seeing if I would be able to stay on the course. The result was positive and I shall be redoing my year in nurse training in the January intake.

However as I recieved an NHS busary which has stopped due to me not studying at the moment. I have absolutely no idea what to do about the house :s: one of my friends paid some of my rent for me already because they really want me to move in. :s:

I still want to move in but have no job, and no money :s: is there anything I can apply for money wise? I'm a bit lost at what to do. :o:
Paeony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
JSA probably ... or a job. Problem is that you'll be liable for 75% of the council tax for the house whilst you're not a student, so you need to budget for that. If you can't earn enough, you could apply for council tax benefit but that can take ages, and obviously you're studying again in January. Best thing to do is to try to find work asap - if you don't mind what you do, a lot of agencies are signing up Christmas shop staff round about now and if you're willing to work extra hours, it can be a good way of earning money, or if you've got nursing experience then care homes etc always need staff.
brokenangel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
loads of hca jobs on the go at the minute
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you are unable to find a job then JSA? At least then you won't have to pay the full amount of council tax.

I suggest you take a look at the Govt website and see what applies. I'd imagine you are looking for work? In the mean time, definitely enquire about JSA if you have no other source of funding.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...its/DG_4016805

Hope you get things sorted
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by randomgirl)
If you are unable to find a job then JSA? At least then you won't have to pay the full amount of council tax.

I suggest you take a look at the Govt website and see what applies. I'd imagine you are looking for work? In the mean time, definitely enquire about JSA if you have no other source of funding.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...its/DG_4016805

Hope you get things sorted
Thanks for the info.
I have applied for JSA which is £45 everytime I sign in. Was going to enquire if there's I can recieve for help with rent other than that, according to my friend there is she just couldn't remember the name of it!:p:
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Enchanté)
Thanks for the info.
I have applied for JSA which is £45 everytime I sign in. Was going to enquire if there's I can recieve for help with rent other than that, according to my friend there is she just couldn't remember the name of it!:p:
Housing benefit perhaps?

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/bene...ng_benefit.asp
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed