Qualifying for home fees after three years?

Watch
mwilli52
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi everybody,

My family and I are moving back to England in a few years. We are all british-born and raised, british citizens, and have british passports and are moving back to England to be back with family. This is a permanent move.

However, since I am already moving to England I will also have to go to a graduate degree uni in England. I understand that because I’ve been living abroad, I won’t qualify for home fees for three years and will have to pay international.
However, after three years of full time school paying international fees - will I then qualify for home fees and support from the government for my fourth and fifth years? The main purpose of my move and my residence is NOT for education, it is to be with family. I am only going to school in england because that’s where my family is moving to.
Last edited by mwilli52; 2 weeks ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mwilli52)
Hi everybody,

My family and I are moving back to England in a few years. We are all british-born and raised, british citizens, and have british passports and are moving back to England to be back with family. This is a permanent move.

However, since I am already moving to England I will also have to go to a graduate degree uni in England. I understand that because I’ve been living abroad, I won’t qualify for home fees for three years and will have to pay international.
However, after three years of full time school paying international fees - will I then qualify for home fees and support from the government for my fourth and fifth years? The main purpose of my move and my residence is NOT for education, it is to be with family. I am only going to school in england because that’s where my family is moving to.
Fee status is generally not subject to change during a degree. It is determined based on residency at the start of the course.
It might be possible to move back the the UK for a year (assuming you previously lived in the UK) with your family and do something other than study for that period which would demonstrate that your stay outside the UK was intended to be temporary (visas and work contracts can also do this) and would therefore mean that your ordinary residence would have remained the UK for the time you lived abroad.

Talk to UKCISA to understand the rules around fee status (and student support which has similar but slightly different rules). https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (161)
38.42%
Take autumn exams (127)
30.31%
Look for a job (15)
3.58%
Consider an apprenticeship (18)
4.3%
Take a year out (71)
16.95%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
6.44%

Watched Threads