The Student Room Group

Government Policy Profession Policy Advisor HEO

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blueberrysro
I was having similar issues so I just thought I'd share with you what I did which was email all of the following: [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected]
I said I'd had no contact from the vacancy holder in X weeks, have no idea how to submit documents, explained no one was responding to my emails and insisted they confirm receipt of my email. I also marked the email as urgent and that was the first time someone properly agreed to look into my case. Might be worth a try for you.
I think I've said earlier on this forum but I've been told my delay is because the vacancy holder hasn't submitted some form that is crucial for my pre-employment checks to actually go through and the person from HR trying to help me is trying to contact them. So I do wonder if it might be DHSC have forgotten to do this form for everyone and that's why we've all slipped through the cracks?

Thanks Blueberry. I'll give it a go.

Wonder how they could have forgotten to fill in a form for so many people. 😑
Reply 781
Just wondered if anyone waiting on DHSC has had any informal calls with teams/managers to discuss potential roles?

I had one yesterday and wondered what the process is. I was told they’d be in touch ...
Original post by TheBol
Just wondered if anyone waiting on DHSC has had any informal calls with teams/managers to discuss potential roles?

I had one yesterday and wondered what the process is. I was told they’d be in touch ...

I haven't heard anything from DHSC since allocation on October 1st, never mind a chat with anyone. They have stopped even responding to my emails.
Reply 783
I wasn't part of this recruitment campaign, but for a similar role but for just one deprtmant a few years back.

I heard I passed the interview at the end of July or maybe in August. I didn't start until end of November, and I was near the very top of the merit list. If anything the CS recruitment process teaches patience.
Has anyone found that things were going quite well and then people just stop replying to their emails? I had a bit of dispute with HR over the Equalities Act and now they've just stopped replying to me (probably because they realise they messed up) . My contact at DWP can't help as it's purely a HR issue and now everything has ground to a halt again. It's apparently unlikely my start date will go ahead now, even though the issue isn't relevant until I need to be in the office.
I have 2 interviews (non CS) lined up for November and I'm starting to hope something comes of one of those so I can just bin this whole thing off. It's been the most disorganised recruitment process I've ever known and communication is shocking.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 785
Congratulations to everyone that was successful in this selection process. I passed the tests with relatively good scores but I didn't past the personal statement sift. I'd like to apply for future policy roles but I'm not sure how to improve my personal statement. Would anyone who was successful be happy to share how you wrote yours or some examples of how you demonstrated that you meet the specific behaviours. I wrote mine following the STAR approach but I don't know what aspect of it it's letting me down.
Original post by TheBol

Oh wow that’s great! Can I ask was it more of an informal interview or were they more telling you about the role?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by charra
Congratulations to everyone that was successful in this selection process. I passed the tests with relatively good scores but I didn't past the personal statement sift. I'd like to apply for future policy roles but I'm not sure how to improve my personal statement. Would anyone who was successful be happy to share how you wrote yours or some examples of how you demonstrated that you meet the specific behaviours. I wrote mine following the STAR approach but I don't know what aspect of it it's letting me down.

I'd say keep applying as you'd get more feedback, one thing I did with behaviours was to create a checklist from their behaviour paragraphs and ensure that I hit each point and where suitable I used the language in their paragraphs e.g. for bigger picture using phrases like 'I created value by... ' , 'this demonstrated my alertness to emerging trends etc'. There is obviously a fine line as you don't just want to regurgitate their words but at the same time you want to make it easy for the 'marker' to assess your work. In line with that a clear structure to your statement helps, I was tight on words but felt it was worth utilising headers.
I’ve got a question for those that asked to be reallocated. Just wondering what sort of timeframe it took to be reallocated and then to start checks/hear from managers etc? Also wondering if anyone has recently asked which departments are still available?

I’m getting so sick of waiting for DHSC and frustrated that even internally my recruitment lady is struggling to contact the vacancy holder 😬
Sound like a broken record but has anyone heard from Scot Gov recently? I’m still waiting to get allocated to directorate and start checks. Starting to wonder if they’re just finding it hard to place me 👀😞
DHSCs lack of any replies has been off the charts. I've emailed so many different accounts, as well as back and forth to the policy profession. I cannot get my head around it. It's like shouting into the abyss.
Reply 791
Original post by arya1290
Sound like a broken record but has anyone heard from Scot Gov recently? I’m still waiting to get allocated to directorate and start checks. Starting to wonder if they’re just finding it hard to place me 👀😞

Only heard to confirm they had all my pre-employment check documents. Just waiting for start date info, but as an existing CS expect it will take a couple of weeks to get everything from current employer. Are you contacting Scot Gov directly?
Reply 792
I’ve got a question for those that asked to be reallocated. Just wondering what sort of timeframe it took to be reallocated and then to start checks/hear from managers etc? Also wondering if anyone has recently asked which departments are still available?

I’m getting so sick of waiting for DHSC and frustrated that even internally my recruitment lady is struggling to contact the vacancy holder 😬

I was reallocated within a few day’s of being asked to! I would recommend doing so! Cabinet Health & ministry of defence are full. Last I heard DWP wasn’t full but that could have changed!
Original post by Jach34
I was reallocated within a few day’s of being asked to! I would recommend doing so! Cabinet Health & ministry of defence are full. Last I heard DWP wasn’t full but that could have changed!

Oh brilliant thank-you! I think I’ll ask them then
Is it possible to not be allocated?! I had a chat with a team about being allocated with them but the line manager didn't think that it was a good fit for me (although I felt differently), and now they're going to try another team, so now I'm really worried what if they don't want me either?! Is there a risk than no-one will want me and I won't actually get placed anywhere and they could drop me?
Anyone else rejected and then another email asking them to express interest in a bigger campaign? Think its for internal only though

Hey there, so I've been in touch with someone from HR when I asked about reallocation. I've been allocated to DHSC north (this has been confirmed re my earlier posts when I assumed it was north!). I wanted to move to MOD or HO. They got back to me and said HO has been filled but there was scope for me to move to MOD only if I was willing to relocate down south.. which I am not. So I am sticking to DHSC! As far as I'm aware, the contact at HR said there is active recruitment ongoing at DHSC North and I get the impression there's the most amount of vacancies available here right now.
Original post by camy1705
Hey there, so I've been in touch with someone from HR when I asked about reallocation. I've been allocated to DHSC north (this has been confirmed re my earlier posts when I assumed it was north!). I wanted to move to MOD or HO. They got back to me and said HO has been filled but there was scope for me to move to MOD only if I was willing to relocate down south.. which I am not. So I am sticking to DHSC! As far as I'm aware, the contact at HR said there is active recruitment ongoing at DHSC North and I get the impression there's the most amount of vacancies available here right now.

This is maybe why they're taking so long to get back to me, as that's where I've asked for.
Original post by nj4es
Only heard to confirm they had all my pre-employment check documents. Just waiting for start date info, but as an existing CS expect it will take a couple of weeks to get everything from current employer. Are you contacting Scot Gov directly?

How long did it take for them to approve your pre employment docs? Do you reckon you’ll probably have a start date for 2021 now based on how long it may take to agree start date? I had chased two weeks ago and the head of hr resourcing emailed me to say that they’re in the middle of allocating successful candidates to business areas and will be in touch soon. That was on 13 October I think!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Moana92
Is it possible to not be allocated?! I had a chat with a team about being allocated with them but the line manager didn't think that it was a good fit for me (although I felt differently), and now they're going to try another team, so now I'm really worried what if they don't want me either?! Is there a risk than no-one will want me and I won't actually get placed anywhere and they could drop me?

I don’t think that would happen. What dept was it that they thought wouldn’t be a good fit? I think you will get placed elsewhere for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending