The Student Room Group

career advice

hi ppl
i grew up wanting to join the airforce or do something in the field of computing or become a surgeon .... at the start of my college when picking my subjects my someone really close to me suggested medicine the college that i was going to didnt have computing as a subject so i ended up picking chem bio and psychology since i am really short i dont think i will ever get into the AIRFORCE they do have a speciifc height requirment
throughout the whole of the last year i have been searching up stuff , watching stuff related to doctors and i was aiming to apply for medicine and have software developing as my back up however my gcse grades arent great meaning applying this year would mean i have like 20 percent chance of getting in to some university far away that i probably will end up rejecting since im not moving out , i need to get into unis closer to me and but for liverpool i need 15 points in gcses and mine add up to 14 and for manchester i need 3 more 7s i am absolutely confused and dont know what do ...if i take a gap year and apply provided i get amazing a levels i can get in my gcse are 977766666 in all my subjects in which i got 6s i was 2 or 3 marks away from getting a 7 ik sad.
if i take a gap year i still need to apply this year for something just in case i dont get the right a level grades for medicine , what should i do ? i am fully determined to get A stars at the end and have been working hard throughout the lockdown period .....im really stressed pls help me.....my family told me that they will be happy with any degree that i do but i dont normally give up on stuff that easily and since last night after deciding not to apply for medicine i have been feeling full on depressed i dont know if thats my passion speaking there or something else but i dont feel like going into any other career field apart from medicine .....this is pretty complicated and not easy to explain but whenever i have a problem i post here ppl normally tend to understand n offer some advice
one more thing i havent had the best childhood life or teenage life my mum really wants me to get into a good career asap earn money and have as much fun as possible ....
(edited 3 years ago)
wow umm firstly i didnt realise the air-force had a height requirement. Ok so medicine at uni
i have done some research and lecister uni requires a 6 in GCSE English,maths and two sciences and AAA at a level.
you could take a foundation course or another science course like biomed and then after first year transfer.
Maybe check out these, the first one gives a list of unis and what they require so that should help
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2187365

good luck

Quick Reply

Latest