The Student Room Group

Im considering changing degree halfway through my current, I need advice?

Ok so I'm going into my 3rd year of a Sport Business degree and I've not really enjoyed it. I initially wanted to study Sport Science but changed at the last minute as I felt like everyone had it and employment opportunities wouldn't be great. I tried to change to sport science after my 1st year as I wasn't keen on Business, but my university refused. I have since qualified as a Personal Trainer which is essentially like a Sport Science degree (minus all the lab work etc). I also went to College for a year (Scotland), studying Health Fitness and Exercise, as I received no offers when I initially applied to university in 2017.

I have always been interested in Law and I was considering doing an Accelerated LLB Law degree after my current degree as I would have two degrees. However, I don't know if it's worthwhile changing now as I would be graduating at the same time anyway. I personally would prefer to transfer as the university I'm at just now isn't great in terms of student support. I don't think any transfer is possible now and I've missed the UCAS deadline.

I do have an INFJ personality Type (Advocate) which means I am interested in many subject areas and find it very difficult to come down to one subject. I feel like whatever I do I won't be content with what I choose as I'll always want to learn about another subject area. I do sports at a high level and I've never really had a strong career plan as I've always put effort into my sport, and want something to fall back on.

I just want this endless cycle to end as it is very stressful and the more I think about it the more options I consider and its not great. It annoys me more because I'm normally very decisive but for whatever reason when it comes to university I can't think to save myself. Does anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
My problem here is that, it took you three years to decide to take action, which you then decide it's time to change to a completely different degree before even finishing your current course? One minute you say sport business, the next is sport science, then the next is a law degree (how the hell did you even get here)? No one really cares about your personality type either and it definitely isn't a justifiable reason for why you're doing all this. You're making choices for your future, and right now, you're playing with fire.
Original post by lcondy
Ok so I'm going into my 3rd year of a Sport Business degree and I've not really enjoyed it. I initially wanted to study Sport Science but changed at the last minute as I felt like everyone had it and employment opportunities wouldn't be great. I tried to change to sport science after my 1st year as I wasn't keen on Business, but my university refused. I have since qualified as a Personal Trainer which is essentially like a Sport Science degree (minus all the lab work etc). I also went to College for a year (Scotland), studying Health Fitness and Exercise, as I received no offers when I initially applied to university in 2017.

I have always been interested in Law and I was considering doing an Accelerated LLB Law degree after my current degree as I would have two degrees. However, I don't know if it's worthwhile changing now as I would be graduating at the same time anyway. I personally would prefer to transfer as the university I'm at just now isn't great in terms of student support. I don't think any transfer is possible now and I've missed the UCAS deadline.

I do have an INFJ personality Type (Advocate) which means I am interested in many subject areas and find it very difficult to come down to one subject. I feel like whatever I do I won't be content with what I choose as I'll always want to learn about another subject area. I do sports at a high level and I've never really had a strong career plan as I've always put effort into my sport, and want something to fall back on.

I just want this endless cycle to end as it is very stressful and the more I think about it the more options I consider and its not great. It annoys me more because I'm normally very decisive but for whatever reason when it comes to university I can't think to save myself. Does anyone have any advice?

im going thru something similar ....u should try out different stuff related to the subjects that you are interested in the most and then decide what it is exactly that u r passionate about....but if i were u i wouldnt drop out
Original post by lcondy

You can do law as a postgrad with any degree. Finish your degree then do law after....pretty simple.

No one's going to be able to help you start over... Either way your interests frankly... Are pretty mickey mouse (sports science) no offense is a mickey mouse degree. You can't transfer into anything with that. Why you dropped business lord knows, then you could have maybe transferred into politics or another social science. But either way don't be silly, finish your degree and then assess your options. Way too late now.
Reply 4
Original post by Xarao
My problem here is that, it took you three years to decide to take action, which you then decide it's time to change to a completely different degree before even finishing your current course? One minute you say sport business, the next is sport science, then the next is a law degree (how the hell did you even get here)? No one really cares about your personality type either and it definitely isn't a justifiable reason for why you're doing all this. You're making choices for your future, and right now, you're playing with fire.

Wow. That is so helpful. Haven't you heard of the saying "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"? You clearly didn't grasp the fact that I'm confused. Or that I have many subject interests. Or that I had taken action before but didn't get anywhere. If you actually read what I put you would understand
Reply 5
Original post by tecna
im going thru something similar ....u should try out different stuff related to the subjects that you are interested in the most and then decide what it is exactly that u r passionate about....but if i were u i wouldnt drop out

Really? It isn't a great situation to be in. I have been reading some law books and I do enjoy them. I think the uncertainty of the times we live in now doesn't really help either. The thing that's putting me offing starting Law is going back to 1st year
Original post by lcondy

I do have an INFJ personality Type (Advocate) which means I am interested in many subject areas and find it very difficult to come down to one subject. I feel like whatever I do I won't be content with what I choose as I'll always want to learn about another subject area.

lol.
Finish your current degree and it for their - however it’s gonna be a big change switching and starting a new degree with fresh.
Original post by lcondy
Really? It isn't a great situation to be in. I have been reading some law books and I do enjoy them. I think the uncertainty of the times we live in now doesn't really help either. The thing that's putting me offing starting Law is going back to 1st year

You would not have to go back to first year as a fresh undergraduate - there is the GDL:
https://www.thelawyerportal.com/free-guides/gdl-law-conversion-course-overview/

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/law-sector/law-conversion-courses

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending