The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I do law but in the future u don’t have a certainty with jobs, u will be competing with people who have highly outstanding grades, I have spoke to Barristers and even my law teacher agrees too because there is a chance u won’t get the pupilage and they like their candidates to be different from the rest so doing other work experience on top of law etc.
Reply 81
Original post by kingyii1997
I doubt that as laws are not merely rules or legislation. AI does not possess emotions. This the biggest weakness for AI. Emotions are crucial in law. Humans have the unique ability to create empathy with jurors, but not AI. I believe AI can help with the strategy and quality of information but not replacing lawyers. Furthermore, using AI will speed up the process of due diligence. This is crucial for the commercial firms as they charged by hours. I think this will undermine their income, as fewer hours are needed to complete a task.

You are actually misleading people here. Lawyers / jurors / AI should not have emotions: emotions confer prejudicial bias and jurors will likely sympathize with the purported "victim" far more than a potentially innocent "defendant". We will see innocent people being put behind bars. The law is the law, emotions are emotions, they don't and shouldn't mingle / replace each other
Reply 82
Original post by username2393237
Trolling probably. Their posts were ill-informed and they seem to have multiple accounts.

I am curious as to which part of his thread is ill-informed?
Is Law the most overrated university subject and career path?

It's worth focusing for a moment on the actual question at the start of this thread because it will be a question that many young people will be asking in these exceptionally difficult times.

As a Higher Education researcher with a special interest in the legal professions, I know that most students are often more concerned with the career opportunities that arise from the study of Law than in the intrinsic value of the subject itself. That's entirely understandable when there are far more graduates than graduate jobs. Nowhere exemplifies this more than Law: too many LLBs, not enough openings for solicitors and barristers. Long gone are the days when the study of Law was a passport to a comfortable middle class lifestyle. In that sense, the answer to the question is a clear 'Yes'. And, sadly, it makes matters worse that those with a privileged background and the right connections have a very significant and unfair advantage. There is much that is true in this article:

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/school-background-of-trainee-solicitors

Yet with determination, perseverance and a bit of luck Law can still provide its fair rewards. I know two people in their early thirties who attended state schools and non RG universities. They are both earning around £50,000 - and I imagine that many readers of this thread (outside London at least) would settle for that! One is a solicitor working a 12 hour day for a regional firm and the other is a university lecturer with a much superior work-life balance but it took an LLB, an LLM, a PhD and many years of earning next to nothing to get there. Of course, as everyone knows, those at the very top are richly rewarded, but they are relatively few in number. The study of Law can, in its own right, be intellectually stimulating and very worthwhile. It is also a valuable preparation for a wide range of careers. Expectations should not be too high - but for those with ambition and genuine ability it can still pay off.
Original post by Frogeyes
3 years of law have elucidated everything for me, and I am not even bitter since I had a decent honours from a decent RG university:

First of all, laws aren't even made by lawyers. Those who make laws need not, and usually do not, have a law degree or profound knowledge in law.
So you are basically studying something that is not even made by lawyers/people who have studied law. And you view it as a seemingly "exclusive" profession.

Secondly, laws change all the time, what you have learnt in this year may have to be erased/modified to make way for new laws next year. Don't even get me started on case law. It's simply chaos and uncertainty shrouded in a veneer of "tradition".

Thirdly, laws differ even within a single country, let alone overseas common law jurisdictions, and let alone non-common law jurisdictions. Meanwhile most sciences are universal, and even business studies do generally work universally.

Fourthly, the UK justice system is a joke. Most judges probably had a sentence in mind BEFORE the trial even began. And laws have to make way for the social status / perceived worth of the defendant.

Fifthly, the legal profession probably does not depend on academic ability as much as the other aspects of a prospective candidate, such as connections and social status/background. 80-something% of lawyers say their work is boring and not challenging in the slightest. Surely judging a candidate mostly on their academic merit would be pointless?

What else?

My view is that law is something that takes a lot of work after the degree to succeed in. You have to be intelligent and confident. The work is probably boring and stressful a lot of the time but meeting with clients etc could be quite stimulating once you are established. A lawyer is very highly respected profession and some earn a lot of money.

I studied engineering and I could give you a list of things why engineering is overrated. The pays is terrible for the effort, most of it is politics and paperwork (in the majority of jobs), an engineer doesn't design something like a car they just spend 6 months designing a suspension component or some electronics circuit. No one cares if you are an engineer they basically think you fix boilers. The list goes on.
Original post by alex282
My view is that law is something that takes a lot of work after the degree to succeed in. You have to be intelligent and confident...

I studied engineering and I could give you a list of things why engineering is overrated. The pays is terrible for the effort...

This is essentially the point I was making in #87. Alas, it is the problem with all graduate employment these days: 'the pay is terrible for the effort'. To succeed in any career, you have to be 'intelligent and confident' and 'put in a lot of work after the degree' but competition in the legal professions is especially intense and success is often - though not always - skewed by socioeconomic status to a greater extent than in other careers; or to put it another way, 'it pays to be posh'.

'Degree degradation' and 'a revolution of falling expectations' is something all students have to contend with, whatever their chosen subject:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/degree-degradation-with-too-many-university-graduates-and-not-enough-jobs-many-are-finding-10461190.html

The situation has worsened since the above article was written and is now further exacerbated by the Covid-19 debacle. But the brightest and the best - along with the privileged - will still find success.
Reply 86
Original post by Supermature
This is essentially the point I was making in #87. Alas, it is the problem with all graduate employment these days: 'the pay is terrible for the effort'. To succeed in any career, you have to be 'intelligent and confident' and 'put in a lot of work after the degree' but competition in the legal professions is especially intense and success is often - though not always - skewed by socioeconomic status to a greater extent than in other careers; or to put it another way, 'it pays to be posh'.

'Degree degradation' and 'a revolution of falling expectations' is something all students have to contend with, whatever their chosen subject:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/degree-degradation-with-too-many-university-graduates-and-not-enough-jobs-many-are-finding-10461190.html

The situation has worsened since the above article was written and is now further exacerbated by the Covid-19 debacle. But the brightest and the best - along with the privileged - will still find success.

I have studied law and I don't think law is a subject that is difficult / intellectually stimulating. The profession itself is even less so.

Lawyers take laws for granted, and it is simply to apply laws to facts. Far less of a deal than memorizing mathematical equations and solve math questions. You only need to understand English (well) and couple it with a little bit of hard work, no "talents" whatsoever needed for law.

Meanwhile mathematics and STEM subjects are more like IQ tests, they are exclusive, either everything clicks in your brain or there's nothing at all in there. Some people solve math questions easily whichever shape it comes in while others think for days and nights and still cannot fathom a solution to a single question. That IS exclusive and prestigious to me.

I would say it is rather the "prestige" / "pretentiousness" of those practicing law which made law appear somewhat sophisticated and privileged. People who used to study law probably overwhelmingly came from the upper echelons from the society and through hereditary means they established law as a "prestigious" craft.

Something like 85% of lawyers say their work is boring and meaningless.
Mathematicians say there is beauty in numbers.
That pretty much answers everything
Reply 87
Comment on the content not the provenance...
Provenance is what made daft and mediocre posh public / private school kids get starry A Level grades straight into Oxbridge, made worthless modern artworks sell for hundreds of millions, and what made a dry and worthless subject / career like law "prestigious"
Original post by whatitdobabyeee
How is doing Law risky?

Not everyone will make it due to the competition.
Btw the arguments advanced by the OP are really a load of nonsense and bear no relevance to the actual question.

All a bit tedious really. Do your research, then do it or dont do it.
If you are good enough you cna have a great career , make decent money and enjoy your job.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 89
3 years of law have elucidated everything for me, and I am not even bitter since I had a decent honours from a decent RG university:

First of all, laws aren't even made by lawyers. Those who make laws need not, and usually do not, have a law degree or profound knowledge in law.
So you are basically studying something that is not even made by lawyers/people who have studied law. And you view it as a seemingly "exclusive" profession.

Who do you think drafts the law? Who do you think advises the legislator? Do you have such little understanding of the system that you are unaware of this?

Secondly, laws change all the time, what you have learnt in this year may have to be erased/modified to make way for new laws next year. Don't even get me started on case law. It's simply chaos and uncertainty shrouded in a veneer of "tradition".

Would it be better, in your mind, if the law never changed? Would this increase the utility of a law degree?

Thirdly, laws differ even within a single country, let alone overseas common law jurisdictions, and let alone non-common law jurisdictions. Meanwhile most sciences are universal, and even business studies do generally work universally.

Why is this relevant? The majority of lawyers will only wish to practice law in the country where they reside.

Fourthly, the UK justice system is a joke. Most judges probably had a sentence in mind BEFORE the trial even began. And laws have to make way for the social status / perceived worth of the defendant.

Evidence for the former accusation please?

Fifthly, the legal profession probably does not depend on academic ability as much as the other aspects of a prospective candidate, such as connections and social status/background. 80-something% of lawyers say their work is boring and not challenging in the slightest. Surely judging a candidate mostly on their academic merit would be pointless?

What else?

So connections and social status/background don't play a role in recruitment in any other sector, i suppose? Why do the top law firms have strict academic criteria for applicants then?

Yes, you don't sound bitter at all.
Reply 90
Original post by RV3112
Who do you think drafts the law? Who do you think advises the legislator? Do you have such little understanding of the system that you are unaware of this?

Would it be better, in your mind, if the law never changed? Would this increase the utility of a law degree?

Why is this relevant? The majority of lawyers will only wish to practice law in the country where they reside.

Evidence for the former accusation please?

So connections and social status/background don't play a role in recruitment in any other sector, i suppose? Why do the top law firms have strict academic criteria for applicants then?

Yes, you don't sound bitter at all.

See, lawyers do not make law on their own volition. Their work is always passive, dependent, and is always overwhelmingly about formalities. it's not to say it is definitely a good thing for all laws to be created by lawyers, but lawyers have little to no say in what the law is and cannot really think outside of the box.
Computer programmers make new computer programs without depending on anyone else, advancements on literature on anatomy are always created by surgeons themselves, biologists and chemists make new discoveries and formulations which were not known to exist by anyone else before. Yet laws are not made by lawyers themselves but legislators who draws a skeleton and the most a law draftsman could do is add flesh to the bone.

An important reason behind why laws have to / tend to change, is that they were unsatisfactory. New legislation is there to patch up the mischief caused by old laws in the same area. It would of course be a good thing if laws do not cause mischief and therefore need not be changed for that reason. Yes, it would.

The majority of lawyers only want to practice law in their own country? How do you know? You are the embodiment of the "majority of lawyers"? Why are training contracts with international seats so popular with prospective trainees then? Perhaps most lawyers practice in their own countries because they are not qualified to practice in another country and therefore have no choice? What about people who want to escape political uncertainties in their own country?
Aren't you the one waffling about?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/25/oxford-student-judge-suggested-bright-prison-spared-jail-stabbing/
"Too bright for jail" coming from a judge. Why call it a "court of law" instead of a "court of prejudice, family background, and perceived personal worth"?

I can say medicine and most sciences do not have nearly as much emphasis, if at all, on family background and connections, with employment decisions based overwhelmingly on merit. Sciences / mathematics emphasizes talent. Law only requires good English (which is not exclusive enough), so they have added "prestige, family background, gender, race" and the lot.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/18/legal-profession-prejudice-sexism-racism-class

The top law firms have strict academic criteria... for outsiders like those coming from state schools without lawyer parents I am guessing? Law is the most inheritable profession so I have read.
https://abovethelaw.com/2019/04/children-of-lawyers-17-times-more-likely-to-become-lawyers/
Obviously they want to keep outsiders out of their "prestigious" profession.
85% of all lawyers say their work is boring, not challenging, and simply pointless:
https://www.legalcheek.com/2018/05/being-a-corporate-lawyer-is-a-bullst-job-argues-lse-professor/
I could infer that a stellar first class Oxbridge law grad will likely not handle paperwork / "purely administrative tasks" with any visible difference than, say, a 2:1 normal RG-uni law graduate. See? All about prestige and family backgrounds.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by addodod
See, lawyers do not make law on their own volition. Their work is always passive, dependent, and is always overwhelmingly about formalities. it's not to say it is definitely a good thing for all laws to be created by lawyers, but lawyers have little to no say in what the law is and cannot really think outside of the box.
Computer programmers make new computer programs without depending on anyone else, advancements on literature on anatomy are always created by surgeons themselves, biologists and chemists make new discoveries and formulations which were not known to exist by anyone else before. Yet laws are not made by lawyers themselves but legislators who draws a skeleton and the most a law draftsman could do is add flesh to the bone.

What difference does it make? Their expertise is required in the process. Why on earth are you fixated on this point? It has nothing to do with employability or the usefulness of the degree.

Original post by addodod

The majority of lawyers only want to practice law in their own country? How do you know? You are the embodiment of the "majority of lawyers"? Why are training contracts with international seats so popular with prospective trainees then? Perhaps most lawyers practice in their own countries because they are not qualified to practice in another country and therefore have no choice? What about people who want to escape political uncertainties in their own country?
Aren't you the one waffling about?

The majority of people wish to work in the country in which they reside in. This shouldn't come as a huge shock to you. If they wish to move countries and are qualified in their own jurisdiction, many countries have procedures in place that do not require repeating a 3-4 year degree and are really not particularly onerous if you are skilled at legal study. So, yes there is often a choice. The barrier caused by a required fluency in a country's language (and perhaps immigration issues) is often far more difficult to overcome.

Have you actually practiced? I am guessing that you haven't.

Original post by addodod

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/25/oxford-student-judge-suggested-bright-prison-spared-jail-stabbing/
"Too bright for jail" coming from a judge. Why call it a "court of law" instead of a "court of prejudice, family background, and perceived personal worth"?

How does this prove that the judge had his mind made up about a sentence before the trial had even begun? That's right, it doesn't.

You are talking absolute nonsense. The number of solicitors i know with no relatives in the legal profession far outweighs those that do. There is no conspiracy to exclude 'outsiders'. Rather than reading a blog, i would advise actually qualifying and working as a solicitor for a few years. Perhaps then you will know what you are talking about.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by RV3112
What difference does it make? Their expertise is required in the process. Why on earth are you fixated on this point? It has nothing to do with employability or the usefulness of the degree.

The majority of people wish to work in the country in which they reside in. This shouldn't come as a huge shock to you. If they wish to move countries and are qualified in their own jurisdiction, many countries have procedures in place that do not require repeating a 3-4 year degree and are really not particularly onerous if you are skilled at legal study. So, yes there is often a choice. The barrier caused by a required fluency in a country's language (and perhaps immigration issues) is often far more difficult to overcome.

Have you actually practiced? I am guessing that you haven't.

How does this prove that the judge had his mind made up about a sentence before the trial had even begun? That's right, it doesn't.

You are talking absolute nonsense. The number of solicitors i know with no relatives in the legal profession far outweighs those that do. There is no conspiracy to exclude 'outsiders'. Rather than reading a blog, i would advise actually qualifying and working as a solicitor for a few years. Perhaps then you will know what you are talking about.

You are focusing on employability and usefulness of the degree but what this thread is about is not only "usefulness" but also all that "academic rigour" and "intellectually stimulating" **** found in every law personal statement. How can it be stimulating when you have to take laws for granted? How is legal formalities stimulating in any way? It isn't. There are too many people in this thread and elsewhere who talked about wanting to study law and saying that law is sacred / meaningful / upholding justice. I was somebody along those lines and I can't cope with how utterly stupid I was.

Obviously law students are employable that's why it's usually rated highly but what people fail to realize BEFORE studying law is that it is overrated, and "overrated" is a relative concept, overrated in relation to science and STEM subjects which are underrated.

There are a lot of law programs with a year of studying abroad and they are almost always more competitive to enter than ordinary 3-year LLBs. If people only wish to work within their own country / jurisdiction with absolutely no interest in working elsewhere then these programs (e.g. Oxford BA law with European law) would certainly be LESS competitive to enter?
And even if you could waffle all this away, it is STILL the case that law practitioners have to make a greater effort than people of other professions to work elsewhere within their own field, should political or other circumstances require so. For medics and science people they would only need to overcome the language barrier while lawyers have to do that AND spend a year or two taking exams if not starting from scratch in very different jurisdictions.

How do I know the judge had his mind made up in a prejudicial manner before trial? Because he made his decision entirely on non-legal grounds. A court trial is there to ultimately determine a legal outcome. And a legal outcome is determined at trial. Since he manifestly disregarded the laws which dictate the sentence which she deserved in law, it must be that he used personal metrics which would have been present before the trial ever began. A racist judge would still be racist before, during, and after the trial. And he would have determined guilt of, e.g. a black man, before the trial ever needed to start. SIMPLE ENOUGH?

I am the one talking nonsense? How about you at least refer to articles? As far as I know undergraduate law does expect you to at least refer to sources?
Reply 93
Original post by addodod
You are focusing on employability and usefulness of the degree but what this thread is about is not only "usefulness" but also all that "academic rigour" and "intellectually stimulating" **** found in every law personal statement. How can it be stimulating when you have to take laws for granted? How is legal formalities stimulating in any way? It isn't. There are too many people in this thread and elsewhere who talked about wanting to study law and saying that law is sacred / meaningful / upholding justice. I was somebody along those lines and I can't cope with how utterly stupid I was.

Obviously law students are employable that's why it's usually rated highly but what people fail to realize BEFORE studying law is that it is overrated, and "overrated" is a relative concept, overrated in relation to science and STEM subjects which are underrated.

There are a lot of law programs with a year of studying abroad and they are almost always more competitive to enter than ordinary 3-year LLBs. If people only wish to work within their own country / jurisdiction with absolutely no interest in working elsewhere then these programs (e.g. Oxford BA law with European law) would certainly be LESS competitive to enter?
And even if you could waffle all this away, it is STILL the case that law practitioners have to make a greater effort than people of other professions to work elsewhere within their own field, should political or other circumstances require so. For medics and science people they would only need to overcome the language barrier while lawyers have to do that AND spend a year or two taking exams if not starting from scratch in very different jurisdictions.

How do I know the judge had his mind made up in a prejudicial manner before trial? Because he made his decision entirely on non-legal grounds. A court trial is there to ultimately determine a legal outcome. And a legal outcome is determined at trial. Since he manifestly disregarded the laws which dictate the sentence which she deserved in law, it must be that he used personal metrics which would have been present before the trial ever began. A racist judge would still be racist before, during, and after the trial. And he would have determined guilt of, e.g. a black man, before the trial ever needed to start. SIMPLE ENOUGH?

I am the one talking nonsense? How about you at least refer to articles? As far as I know undergraduate law does expect you to at least refer to sources?

What law student starts their course not understanding the basic role that lawyers play in legislative process? Who proposes changes in law is very basic general knowledge. What law student starts their course not understanding that the law is different in different countries? So, in what sense it is overrated? If you failed to research the realities of legal practice before you started the degree, the fault is on you. Not the degree.

Why do you think you are an expert on a profession that you have no practitioner experience in? It's utterly astonishing.

I don't have the time to respond to the rest of your drivel. Refer to articles regarding what? That judge's don't decide sentencing before hearing a case? That there isn't a conspiracy among solicitors to exclude outsiders? Please enlighten us as to what you need.
Reply 94
Original post by RV3112
What law student starts their course not understanding the basic role that lawyers play in legislative process? Who proposes changes in law is very basic general knowledge. What law student starts their course not understanding that the law is different in different countries? So, in what sense it is overrated? If you failed to research the realities of legal practice before you started the degree, the fault is on you. Not the degree.

Why do you think you are an expert on a profession that you have no practitioner experience in? It's utterly astonishing.

I don't have the time to respond to the rest of your drivel. Refer to articles regarding what? That judge's don't decide sentencing before hearing a case? That there isn't a conspiracy among solicitors to exclude outsiders? Please enlighten us as to what you need.

Yes that is their fault. That is also why ~85% of lawyers get bored and frustrated at their work. That's also why every one of them had "intellectually stimulating" on their personal statement. The obvious fact is that they WERE MISTAKEN and they ARE DISAPPOINTED.
Hence law is overrated because people hold unrealistic and incorrect perceptions as regards to this legal field. People hold law highly because they are mistaken! That is pretty much why OP said law is "overrated" no?

It is utterly astonishing that you thought you had the intellectual capability to continue arguing, but now I see that you are realizing all you have said is entirely unsupported, self-contradictory drivel.
Reply 95
Original post by addodod
Yes that is their fault. That is also why ~85% of lawyers get bored and frustrated at their work. That's also why every one of them had "intellectually stimulating" on their personal statement. The obvious fact is that they WERE MISTAKEN and they ARE DISAPPOINTED.
Hence law is overrated because people hold unrealistic and incorrect perceptions as regards to this legal field. People hold law highly because they are mistaken! That is pretty much why OP said law is "overrated" no?

It is utterly astonishing that you thought you had the intellectual capability to continue arguing, but now I see that you are realizing all you have said is entirely unsupported, self-contradictory drivel.

I asked you what "articles" you require? It is a simple question.

I guarantee that i am infinitely more qualified to speak on this subject than you are. So i wouldn't advise taking the "intellectual capability" argument. You are just going to continue looking foolish.

As i advised earlier, if you want to talk as an expert on the solicitor profession, i would advise working as one first. If you want to talk as an expert on criminal trials, perhaps conduct research and earn a doctorate in this area. If you want to speak about academic rigour, the structure of a law degree and student's expectations, perhaps become a law lecturer. When you have achieved all three, then we will be equally qualified to speak on the matter.
(edited 3 years ago)
Honestly, 100% yes.

I have a law degree and life is nothing like it was sold to me as. Nobody I am still in contact with from my degree class would recommend doing it and many have already left the profession 10 years on. Those who have already left have either done it by transferring department within a company i.e. to HR within a legal type firm, or have contacts who have helped them to get a new job in an area they are interested in but have no qualifications/experience in.

I've been thinking of leaving the profession for at least the last 3 years, but have found that my options are limited with a law degree. I've looked at quite a lot of alternative jobs, but essentially I may as well not have a degree at all because it's not STEM and much else requires experience I don't have because I have a full time job in law at the moment.

And that is how I've found myself back on this website, looking into how I can finance a second degree to become an allied health professional instead.
Reply 97
Original post by rock_miss
Honestly, 100% yes.

I have a law degree and life is nothing like it was sold to me as. Nobody I am still in contact with from my degree class would recommend doing it and many have already left the profession 10 years on. Those who have already left have either done it by transferring department within a company i.e. to HR within a legal type firm, or have contacts who have helped them to get a new job in an area they are interested in but have no qualifications/experience in.

I've been thinking of leaving the profession for at least the last 3 years, but have found that my options are limited with a law degree. I've looked at quite a lot of alternative jobs, but essentially I may as well not have a degree at all because it's not STEM and much else requires experience I don't have because I have a full time job in law at the moment.

And that is how I've found myself back on this website, looking into how I can finance a second degree to become an allied health professional instead.

It feels good to find someone in the same boat as I am, and who is honest and experienced enough to state the truth as it appeared to most experienced legal practitioners.

Law students and law practitioners have every reason to instill respect for their own field yet 85% of them did not even bother lying.

I am currently in limbo as regards to both my academic and professional career, perhaps not so different from what you are experiencing, as I have realized what law really is as a career before sinking my feet deep in it.

Since you have long graduated from your law degree, how do you plan to obtain academic references which are necessary for your prospective second degree? This is a matter which troubles me even though I am relatively fresh as a law graduate. Any thoughts on that?
Reply 98
Original post by addodod
Alright I know your style, you guarantee everything without any form of proof.
I have to be a law professor + legal practitioner + law doctorate in order to talk to you while your arguments demonstrate the contrary to what you have claimed.

People are mistaken as to law -> study law, work as lawyers -> 85% of them say they are bored and hate their job -> law is overrated.

That's simply it, but you obviously don't have the intellect to even contemplate that. But instead you raise questions which are more supportive to my argument than otherwise.

I have obviously talked to real solicitors, they said international law firms prefer people with a posh background, that is why I am speaking here.

YOUR ENTIRE ARGUMENT IS UNSUPPORTED, AND YOU HAVE THE CHEEK TO PICK 1 POINT OUT OF 10 POINTS THAT I HAVE MADE AND SAY IT'S UNSUPPORTED DRIVEL SO AS TO UNDERMINE MY CREDIBILITY?
YOU THINK EVERYONE HERE IS PLAIN STUPID?

You have to be Einstein to have the intellect to talk to me. I have 172 IQ.

Do you think typing in capital letters makes your argument more coherent or convincing?

I have now asked you three times what "support" you need.

"I have obviously talked to real solicitors, they said international law firms prefer people with a posh background, that is why I am speaking here." -
And you have the temerity to accuse others of not supporting their arguments. I've spoken to hundreds of barristers over the course of my legal career, but i would never believe that i was qualified to speak about that profession. There are roughly around 200 international law firms, and around 10,000 domestic law firms in the UK. Even if your assertions about "international law firms" were accurate, that would not make them representative of the overwhelming majority of firms.
Original post by addodod
Since you have long graduated from your law degree, how do you plan to obtain academic references which are necessary for your prospective second degree? This is a matter which troubles me even though I am relatively fresh as a law graduate. Any thoughts on that?

I haven't got that far yet. Obviously I have my degree certificate but in terms of personal references I don't know how that will work. I'm looking into whether it would be better for me to do a BSc or a MSc pre-registration at the moment and as part of that I'm emailing relevant universities to see whether they would take into consideration degree level study when making offers. I might have to do at least 1 more A-level first anyway because I don't necessarily have the right subjects to get onto a course.

Latest

Trending

Trending