NHS no longer protected from any form of control outside UK

Watch
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Conservatives have voted down the Labour amendment to protect the NHS in future trade deals, despite in their 2019 manifesto saying:

“When we are negotiating trade deals, the NHS will not be on the table. The price the NHS pays for drugs will not be on the table. The services the NHS provide will not be on the table”.

75% of voters had said they wanted to see the NHS protected from trade deals (Source Survation&WeOwnIt) and given Tories have an 80 seat majority, we have 340 MPs who voted against the public .

They clapped for the NHS but won’t vote for an amendment to protect it.

Let’s hope this government’s incompetence and lies aren’t voted in again at the next election.

https://twitter.com/houseofcommons/s...386242565?s=21
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Name:  2BD702EE-B8F7-41E9-9111-90428D330D9C.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  147.1 KB
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Absolute scumbags, if you clapped and voted conservative give your head a wobble
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Malevolent)
Absolute scumbags, if you clapped and voted conservative give your head a wobble
Honestly! The complete hypocrisy of these Tory MPs who clapped their hands whilst voting against protecting it.
Calibrated.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is precisely what 52% of Britain voted for.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I support the Tories and I have a big brain. Unlike Labour, who would have sold out the Union, if they formed a coalition with the SNP in 2019.
Calibrated.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
I support the Tories and I have a big brain. Unlike Labour, who would have sold out the Union, if they formed a coalition with the SNP in 2019.
That puts you in a minority. The majority of Conservative Party members would happily see the Union fall apart and the UK as we know it destroyed in return for Brexit.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 12
Size:  53.6 KB

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...party-destroye
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Calibrated.)
That puts you in a minority. The majority of Conservative Party members would happily see the Union fall apart and the UK as we know it destroyed in return for Brexit.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 12
Size:  53.6 KB

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...party-destroye
There's still 28% of Tories who wouldn't want that.
Burridge
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There's still 28% of Tories who wouldn't want that.

Corbyn ruled out a coalition with the SNP in both 2017 and 2019.

Jeremy Corbyn rejects 'progressive alliance' with SNP http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-39648506

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...abour-sturgeon

Perhaps you don’t understand the irony of it. Over 2/3 of your own party - the Conservative and Unionist Party - would sacrifice the Union in pursuit of Brexit.

Out of curiosity, how have you measured the size of your brain?
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This sort of stuff appeals to idiots, but it's frankly nothing more than xenophobic rabble-rousing.

When the NHS puts something out to tender, businesses bid for the work. While we're still effectively within the EU during the transition period, this means that any business in any of the 27 EU member-states can bid - and, by law, have to be treated equally, even accommodated. That has, unsurprisingly, worked perfectly fine since the 1970s.

In any case, excluding foreigners from bidding for contracts is pretty absurd in itself. And what, I wonder, do Labour propose to do about foreign businesses with a British subsidiary company - that is far from difficult to set up? Seriously, is this sort of insular claptrap really what they're reduced to pushing now?

If you're buying into this crap, you've been spun a very silly line indeed.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burridge)
Corbyn ruled out a coalition with the SNP in both 2017 and 2019.

Jeremy Corbyn rejects 'progressive alliance' with SNP http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-39648506

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...abour-sturgeon

Perhaps you don’t understand the irony of it. Over 2/3 of your own party - the Conservative and Unionist Party - would sacrifice the Union in pursuit of Brexit.

Out of curiosity, how have you measured the size of your brain?
No but when I do I'll be sure to send you the details.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)
This sort of stuff appeals to idiots, but it's frankly nothing more than xenophobic rabble-rousing.

When the NHS puts something out to tender, businesses bid for the work. While we're still effectively within the EU during the transition period, this means that any business in any of the 27 EU member-states can bid - and, by law, have to be treated equally, even accommodated. That has, unsurprisingly, worked perfectly fine since the 1970s.

In any case, excluding foreigners from bidding for contracts is pretty absurd in itself. And what, I wonder, do Labour propose to do about foreign businesses with a British subsidiary company - that is far from difficult to set up? Seriously, is this sort of insular claptrap really what they're reduced to pushing now?

hows the boot taste?
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)

Good reply. My thoughts exactly. It is interested how Labour's position seems to have shifted from stop privatising the NHS to don't sell it to foreign companies.

It seems that the idea of private companies providing care has been accepted.
Calibrated.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)

The Chinese ambassador or CEO of Huawei could not of expressed it better.

Rather than loudly squealing xenophobia like a SJW, maybe you should become a little better informed.
Burridge
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No but when I do I'll be sure to send you the details.
I look forward to hearing it. When you find out, bear in mind that Neanderthals had brains that were ~5% larger than Homo Sapiens
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Calibrated.)
The Chinese ambassador or CEO of Huawei could not of expressed it better.

Rather than loudly squealing xenophobia like a SJW, maybe you should become a little better informed.
Oh for heaven's sake, we're not proposing giving NHS contracts to businesses that hostile states could use to spy on us.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hows the boot taste?
Oh noes, teh Americans will take our NHSes!
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burridge)
I look forward to hearing it. When you find out, bear in mind that Neanderthals had brains that were ~5% larger than Homo Sapiens
And they were still dumber. Like Labour, who are dumb.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And they were still dumber. Like Labour, who are dumb.
Its a great soundbite. Then you look at the Tory A-team and things aren't much better.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Embracing your inner Trump?
(Original post by L i b)

In fairness the general opprobium is directed against the Americans getting their claws into it. Given how their own health service works its not an entirely unreasonable position to take.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (191)
33.45%
Receiving them online / by email (286)
50.09%
I still don't know (94)
16.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed