Plan my gap year for me :) Watch

__natalie__
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So, due to me being an absolute IDIOT and not particularly working for my A-Levels, it looks as though I'm having an unplanned gap year this year.

Because I'd not even considered the possibility of it, I haven't thought about it, researched it or anything!

I have about £3000 in savings that I could use and I will hopefully work full time for a few months before I go.

So give me some ideas - where you'd recommend going, companies I should use, etc etc.

I have basic French knowledge but wouldn't mind trying to improve it, or learn a new language. I'm pretty open to anything, so go for it .
username131927
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
interailing around europe sounds good

so buy the train for however long you wanna go for, plan a route, look up the hostels you wanna go to and away you go
bellebaihe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you gonna be doing retakes or anything throughout this year? Makes a big difference as to how free you'll be...
__natalie__
Rep:
?
(Original post by bellebaihe)
Are you gonna be doing retakes or anything throughout this year? Makes a big difference as to how free you'll be...
nope, my results weren't that bad - BBB - just not enough to get into any of my unis.
bellebaihe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, that's exactly (well kinda) what happened to me last year. What are you interested in? ie. Science, medicine, or languages etc.

star_5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just go travelling round Europe...or teach english in Japan? Kinda random...but sounds like fun!
__natalie__
Rep:
?
(Original post by bellebaihe)
Ok, that's exactly (well kinda) what happened to me last year. What are you interested in? ie. Science, medicine, or languages etc.

social sciences - history, politics, international relations, that kind of thing .
d0mz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd work a ski season, and then go inter-railing.
__natalie__
Rep:
?
(Original post by d0mz)
I'd work a ski season, and then go inter-railing.
a ski season was one of my ideas actually - if i go and work for crystal i'd get full board, lift passes and equipment hire provided for the whole time i was there.
Makaveli_The_Don
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Work for part of the year, travel for the other part.
~|Shock|~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you are short on cash.....do part time jobs (ft is OK if you can manage it)

If you are worried about academics.....do a couple of A-levels

If you are worried about nothing, travel around the world and enjoy yourself
bellebaihe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmm. You should try and get a job that deals with any of those subjects (easier said than done, I know) or you could try doing something completely different. Consider teaching? Or do you just want to travel? My gap year details were pretty much made as each month went by, but I had a pretty grounded base plan from the beginning, as in a skeleton structure of what I wanted to get done.
I wouldn't recommend using all your savings at once.
If you already have a job, try and work it full time heavy duty for the next month or two to top up on the funds, but first figure out if you want to go travelling just for fun or whether you want to work abroad. If you want to go travelling for fun, I'd say stick with as many jobs as you can take to bring the money and then take a good 4 or 5 months travelling, either with an organisation or with friends (if you're lucky enough to find some with similar plans)
I personally think just travelling to exotic places on a gap year is ok, but being able to live and work in a foreign country to the one you're used to living in is infinitely more useful as you will learn SO much, and possibly even a new language along the way.
If you want to improve your french then perhaps start the hunt for jobs in france (not that easy to find but its possible. My friend was teaching in MArseille and absolutely loved it)

If you are reapplying this year (which I wasn't during my gap as I deferred entry) you may need to think really carefully as to whether you need to do things that are relative to whatever you're applying for.

If you feel like getting into Teaching English as a Foreign Language, PM me and I will be more than happy to chat to you about what you could do.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?