nikkiblonsky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
are they good. Im going into year ten in september and starting my gcse courses and was wondering how useful they are??? i dont intend to rely soley on them ill use other things to revise... like free science lessons etc. I was just wondering with the new 9-1 system if they are still useful???
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by nikkiblonsky)
are they good. Im going into year ten in september and starting my gcse courses and was wondering how useful they are??? i dont intend to rely soley on them ill use other things to revise... like free science lessons etc. I was just wondering with the new 9-1 system if they are still useful???
You'll need to buy the 9-1 CGP books for whatever subject you're doing.
I used CGP books for the sciences and they were super super helpful because it only had what you needed to know without all the waffle that you sometimes get in textbooks, plus there was a practice paper in the back that you could go through. I really like the classic CGP layout and diagrams as well cos I'm a visual learner so it worked for me.

I also used the CGP guide for English lit but imo that was a waste of money. It was really basic and generic, nothing that you couldn't get on Sparknotes or Shmoop or those other revision websites. The poetry CGP guide for AQA English was quite good though as it breaks down the key themes and has notes on form and structure etc. but I would not recommend buying the CGP guide for your actual texts like Macbeth etc.
sarah_owen
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I find them helpful for the sciences but I don't really find the others useful. I also like the collins books (the all in one revision and practice) as they have lots of practice questions and I feel like it's layed out a bit better (less chaotic) but the notes aren't as good. For other subjects I just use the internet and my textbook from school. Like for English, I find Mr Salles to be really helpful.
tansrr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
They're good; only for the sciences though. I literally only used revision guides for science. Everything else was online
Muserock
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
They're very good for science. Although I also used You Tube videos and past exam papers to consolidate my learning.
lulumillie02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yes, they are good in a way as they have revision guides, workbooks, exam practice books and practice papers etc...
But it does depend on you as an individual and what works best for you.
Personally, for me I am not a big fan of the revision guides as they highlight a lot and they don't tend to have practice pages all the way through like Collins does. But I do like the workbooks as they are show what grades specific questions are at so one question may be grade 3-4 for example.
For revision guides though Collins is the one for me as they have practice questions, review questions and sometimes practice papers at the back. As a three in one which is a really good technique which I find engaging and helpful for me. As you are being tested from what you have learnt in the previous revision information pages. Every page has a quick test too to see if you understood the topic.
I write the questions on flashcards for practice too which is really helpful.
I think the best thing about Collins it that you get this for a good price, especially on Amazon you can get them around £7.99, depending on the subject.
I hope this helped
nikkiblonsky
Rep:
?
(Original post by lulumillie02)
Yes, they are good in a way as they have revision guides, workbooks, exam practice books and practice papers etc...
But it does depend on you as an individual and what works best for you.
Personally, for me I am not a big fan of the revision guides as they highlight a lot and they don't tend to have practice pages all the way through like Collins does. But I do like the workbooks as they are show what grades specific questions are at so one question may be grade 3-4 for example.
For revision guides though Collins is the one for me as they have practice questions, review questions and sometimes practice papers at the back. As a three in one which is a really good technique which I find engaging and helpful for me. As you are being tested from what you have learnt in the previous revision information pages. Every page has a quick test too to see if you understood the topic.
I write the questions on flashcards for practice too which is really helpful.
I think the best thing about Collins it that you get this for a good price, especially on Amazon you can get them around £7.99, depending on the subject.
I hope this helped
can you give me links to the collins books?
lulumillie02
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
can you give me links to the collins books?
Sure.
Here is the Collins website which has books and free resources too such as flashcards.
https://collins.co.uk/pages/secondary-revision-practice
And here is the Collins GCSE books on Amazon, their Amazon shop.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-GCS...517637&sr=1-14
nikkiblonsky
Rep:
?
(Original post by lulumillie02)
Sure.
Here is the Collins website which has books and free resources too such as flashcards.
https://collins.co.uk/pages/secondary-revision-practice
And here is the Collins GCSE books on Amazon, their Amazon shop.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-GCS...517637&sr=1-14
thank you!!
lulumillie02
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
thank you!!
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (55)
13.99%
Virtual campus tours/open days (90)
22.9%
Live streaming events (38)
9.67%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (38)
9.67%
A uni comparison tool (88)
22.39%
An in-person event when available (84)
21.37%