I'm 21 and have never worn a bra

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I've never worn a bra and I have no idea how to find the right size or anything like that. My Mother never explained it to me, she didn't even explain what to do when I get my period. She has asperger's syndrome so struggles with communicating things like that.

So how do you find bras to wear? Are wearing bras even worth it? I wear crop tops (and sport bras..ones without straps)mostly but I've heard it's weird to do that when you're older than 14.
Down_worlder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you like crop tops, stick with them, no problem! I know a few people that do. However, most people prefer bras because they provide more support and look better with certain outfits - I find they are worth it, as long as you find some you like and they are comfortable to wear.

To find the right size, you can use websites like the M&S one where you input your measurements and it gives you the result (I think you can find full details on how to measure this online, but basically you measure the circumference around your boobs, then just under). Or, you can go into the actual m&s shop and have a bra fitting done there, by a professional, who is more likely to give you an accurate result.

As for choosing a bra, you can try them on in store. This is usually better than buying online, as sizes can vary depending on different brands, just like with other clothes. Get a range of different styles, if you ask me, so that you have things to wear on different occasions, whatever you feel like! I think most people have about 7.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Down_worlder)
If you like crop tops, stick with them, no problem! I know a few people that do. However, most people prefer bras because they provide more support and look better with certain outfits - I find they are worth it, as long as you find some you like and they are comfortable to wear.

To find the right size, you can use websites like the M&S one where you input your measurements and it gives you the result (I think you can find full details on how to measure this online, but basically you measure the circumference around your boobs, then just under). Or, you can go into the actual m&s shop and have a bra fitting done there, by a professional, who is more likely to give you an accurate result.

As for choosing a bra, you can try them on in store. This is usually better than buying online, as sizes can vary depending on different brands, just like with other clothes. Get a range of different styles, if you ask me, so that you have things to wear on different occasions, whatever you feel like! I think most people have about 7.
thanks for your answer
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Personally, I don't think you need bras if you're comfy with what you have! I'm not keen on them and only wear them for school/work.

A bra fitting is the ideal if you've never had a bra before, though - wearing ill-fitting bras can cause all sorts of issues, and the only way to avoid that is a professional fitting. Then you can just choose from the bras available in the shop, and try them on. Bras tend only to last about 6 months if you wear them every day (they stop being as supportive), so I'd get 2 or 3 'everyday' bras. And it can be nice to get a prettier one too. The bra fitter should be able to advise you too and suggest styles
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (71)
40.11%
Take autumn exams (59)
33.33%
Look for a job (5)
2.82%
Consider an apprenticeship (6)
3.39%
Take a year out (25)
14.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
6.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed