Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting uni on the second of october, studying Business Studies North America Australasia, which I'm quiet happy of.
    However, I have always wanted to study at Oxford, it's a town and an ambiance I love, aswell as a very very good uni. As a French, I didn't know that the closing date was the 15th of october and haven't applyed last year. I got reasonable grades at my french baccalaureate, and have therefore decided to apply for next year, for the economics and management course. I know there is very little chance they will take me, but I think it's worth trying.
    The question is how should I go about it??
    Should I tell them I'm already in uni, but that they are the only uni I really want to go to ?
    My year in uni will indeed allow me to learn english and parts of economics and management that will be usefull for me in my studies in Oxford.
    Also how should I write my PS ?
    PS : This course will be the only one in my application through UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Ross)
    I'm starting uni on the second of october, studying Business Studies North America Australasia, which I'm quiet happy of.
    However, I have always wanted to study at Oxford, it's a town and an ambiance I love, aswell as a very very good uni. As a French, I didn't know that the closing date was the 15th of october and haven't applyed last year. I got reasonable grades at my french baccalaureate, and have therefore decided to apply for next year, for the economics and management course. I know there is very little chance they will take me, but I think it's worth trying.
    The question is how should I go about it??
    Should I tell them I'm already in uni, but that they are the only uni I really want to go to ?
    My year in uni will indeed allow me to learn english and parts of economics and management that will be usefull for me in my studies in Oxford.
    Also how should I write my PS ?
    PS : This course will be the only one in my application through UCAS.

Well, they might wonder what you're doing post qualification but I dunno

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cerulean)
    Well, they might wonder what you're doing post qualification but I dunno
    That's reason why I was asking if I should tell them the truth...
    Can't be that bad, I personally think it's benefic as I will learn english and start doing some economics and management courses which I have never done before...

ReputationRep:
    You definitely shouldn't mention that you're already at University. But there seems to be little point going and then applying somewhere else. You should either be content with your choice of uni or take a year out and reapply.

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth. My college dad was at Durham after one of these weird college decisions which didn't let him it. Applied again whilst at Durham (college knew about it) and got in. Finished 2nd in his year in Prelims.

I'd say tell them- just my view though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theflyingpig)
    You definitely shouldn't mention that you're already at University. But there seems to be little point going and then applying somewhere else. You should either be content with your choice of uni or take a year out and reapply.
    I'm definitly not taking a gap year, first my course is already quiet good and second I've tryed to but apparently even with my dad's important customers help, I wouldn't be able to find an interesting job, having something to do with business in the Uk at the moment. Yeah guys england is going bad... However, I definitly am applying to oxford for next year, so the point is should I tell them in my personal statement that I'm in lancaster. I fear that whatever I say, they 'll find it out anyway. Also I would much prefer to be honest. But if they simply don't take people that are already at uni, I will, very reluctantly, lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Dreams)
    For what it's worth. My college dad was at Durham after one of these weird college decisions which didn't let him it. Applied again whilst at Durham (college knew about it) and got in. Finished 2nd in his year in Prelims.

I'd say tell them- just my view though.
    Well thank you, but when was that ? Also, I fear I'm not as clever as your dad was

ReputationRep:
    Sorry "college dad" is someone in the year above you who helps you out - so it was only in 2005 or so I think. Need to sit down for a second to work out the actual year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fillette)
    Bonjour Felix

You need to call your university that you have enrolled at, and tell them that you wished to be released from them. You can't apply to one university whilst already being enrolled at another university.
    Since when?

ReputationRep:
    Filette, plenty of people apply whilst enrolled, so it can be done. You just can't apply in the subsequent year whilst simultaneously holding a deferred place.

Edit: here you go http://www.ucas.com/students/beforey...e/transferring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    Filette, plenty of people apply whilst enrolled, so it can be done. You just can't apply in the subsequent year whilst simultaneously holding a deferred place.

Ok, cool. I stand corrected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fillette)
    Ok, cool. I stand corrected
    No probs You're right in a way though, you can't, say, hold a deferred place in 2009 whilst also putting in a UCAS app to start in 2009 after a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I suppose I'll probably tell them the truth then.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, just be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, will you be starting your course from the begining if you get in to uni next year? or apply for direct second year entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_22)
    Just out of curiosity, will you be starting your course from the begining if you get in to uni next year? or apply for direct second year entry?
    I will be starting the course from the begining, It's not the same course : I'm doing Business and it's Economics and management.
    But it doesn't really matter, I suppose it will even help me in my first year.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, what are your bac results if you don't mind me asking? (1ere and term); were you in S or ES?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactus_c)
    Hey, what are your bac results if you don't mind me asking? (1ere and term); were you in S or ES?
    I was in S,
    Got two 9/20 in french in 1ere
    Then got 17 in maths (including the speciality)
    16 in physics/chemestry
    17 in History/Geography
    15 in English
    15 in Spanish
    13 in Philosophy
    13 in Biology
    12 in sport
    Average : 14,63/20
    I know that's not that great, but I called them and they said I had a chance as I got 17 in maths and 16 in physics.
    If you think about it, I still got like 3 A's. The only reason I got under 15 is because of the french, which I hope they won't be too difficult about...
    Where are you going to next year ?

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting the course from the begining, It's not the same course : I'm doing Business and it's Economics and management.
    But it doesn't really matter, I suppose it will even help me in my first year.
    So essentially you will be loosing the whole year of studies? Its a bit of a shame, but I guess worth it, if you get something you really really want...

ReputationRep:
    I was in S,
    Got two 9/20 in french in 1ere
    Then got 17 in maths (including the speciality)
    16 in physics/chemestry
    17 in History/Geography
    15 in English
    15 in Spanish
    13 in Philosophy
    13 in Biology
    12 in sport
    Average : 14,63/20
    I know that's not that great, but I called them and they said I had a chance as I got 17 in maths and 16 in physics.
    If you think about it, I still got like 3 A's. The only reason I got under 15 is because of the french, which I hope they won't be too difficult about...
    Where are you going to next year ?
    It's definitely worth AAA, voir plus; french bac difficulty is underestimated imo, british unis give out crazy offers

As for me, i'm entering Term S, and hoping to get a deferred offer from LSE, UCL or Warwick (I'm a year ahead). See sig for details That's a long shot though, and I'll probably end up in prepa lol.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.