The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Personally i think you should mention it because this first year at uni can only make you a stronger applicant (imo).
Reply 21
Hi Felix Ross ! It's nice to see that I'm not the only French Bac holder applying post-q to Oxford :-) Why didn't you take a year off ? I actually missed the deadline last year just as you did and decided to take a year off or gap year. Some people think that I am crazy for doing this because I refused an admission offer from the Sorbonne and another one from Dauphine (Paris IX). As for your question, I think you might want to mention that you have already started university. I'm not sure but it could help you as you would have a background in the subject.
Reply 22
By the way, do you guys have any chart to convert French Bac grades to A-Level grades ?
mourad23
By the way, do you guys have any chart to convert French Bac grades to A-Level grades ?

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/international_students/international_qualifications/index.html
Reply 24
I know that webpage. It only states that an average score of at least 15 is required. Thanks anyway :-)
Reply 25
mourad23

It really depends on the university you're applying to. Some will ask 15, 16, 17 for AAA whereas some will ask for a 14. What subject/uni are you thinking of?

I'm really interested by what you did actually. I'm in Term S, applying for economics in a few weeks (see sig for details). So, do you have a bac S or ES? What grades did you get? And since you mentionned Dauphine, were you looking for something to do related to economics/management? And what about la sorbonne?

Thanks for your answers
Reply 26
hello,

i did it - i went to uni for a year in germany, and applied to oxford during the first weeks of my course. i'll be starting in oxford next week now.

i never had the impression they disliked the fact that i was studying already. of course, i had to explain why i wanted to come to oxford, why i was applying to oxford even though i had already started my studies elsewhere etc. apart from that, it was never an issue again. i rather expect it to make things easier for me during the first weeks of term.
Reply 27
cactus_c
It really depends on the university you're applying to. Some will ask 15, 16, 17 for AAA whereas some will ask for a 14. What subject/uni are you thinking of?

I'm really interested by what you did actually. I'm in Term S, applying for economics in a few weeks (see sig for details). So, do you have a bac S or ES? What grades did you get? And since you mentionned Dauphine, were you looking for something to do related to economics/management? And what about la sorbonne?

Thanks for your answers

Hey cactus_c ! Sorry I couldn't answer your questions sooner ... :o:

1)
- Oxford: PPE
- LSE: Government and Economics ( also considering Politics and Philosophy OR Philosophy and Economics )
- Warwick: PPE or Economics, Politics and International Studies
- University of St Andrews: Economics and International Relations
2) Bac S - 16.13
3)Yes - Dauphine Applied Economics and Management ( DUGEAD :wink: )
4)Sorbonne- Economics and Management
Reply 28
mourad23
Hey cactus_c ! Sorry I couldn't answer your questions sooner ... :o:

1)
- Oxford: PPE
- LSE: Government and Economics ( also considering Politics and Philosophy OR Philosophy and Economics )
- Warwick: PPE or Economics, Politics and International Studies
- University of St Andrews: Economics and International Relations
2) Bac S - 16.13
3)Yes - Dauphine Applied Economics and Management ( DUGEAD :wink: )
4)Sorbonne- Economics and Management

Right; the first 2 usually look out for 16+ applicants (even if LSE recquires you to have at least 14 when you apply, offers are usually 16), unless you're really exceptionnal; Warwick give out offers around 15, and I'm not sure about St A. In any case, you have an excellent grade, you were in S, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Are you doing anything academically relevant this year, out of curiosity?

And lol, so many frenchmen would be shocked at you refusing to go into DUGEAD :biggrin: but your alternative is definitely worth it. Good luck with your application!
Reply 29
Well, I don't know if it is academically relevant but, right now, I'm taking advanced Spanish classes at the local Cervantès and I will probably sit for the DELE. I'm also doing some volunteer work here in my country. Besides, I'm preparing for some horrible standardized American exams as I'm also thinking about applying to a couple of universities over there.
As for Dauphine, it's a good school but it has little international reputation. I have always wanted to attend a university in the English-speaking world anyway ...
Reply 30
mourad23
Well, I don't know if it is academically relevant but, right now, I'm taking advanced Spanish classes at the local Cervantès and I will probably sit for the DELE. I'm also doing some volunteer work here in my country. Besides, I'm preparing for some horrible standardized American exams as I'm also thinking about applying to a couple of universities over there.
As for Dauphine, it's a good school but it has little international reputation. I have always wanted to attend a university in the English-speaking world anyway ...

SATs on the 1st of november?
Reply 31
Unfortunately, yes ... :s-smilie: Are you taking them too ?
Reply 32
mourad23
Unfortunately, yes ... :s-smilie: Are you taking them too ?

Nah, but I know a bunch of american students stressing about it ^^

Latest

Trending

Trending