african_sunset
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello

Next year I will be going into 6th year and I’m a little unsure what subjects I should choose. Currently I have selected higher Human biology, higher psychology, advanced modern studies and advanced English. I’m not entirely sure what I want to do yet, probably a law degree to become a solicitor or a psychology degree to become a psychologist or councillor (not too sure as become a psychologist can take a long time). I was wondering if I would be better off dropping a couple of subjects and using my time instead to do work experience or would it be better to just do the subjects? I’m predicted A’s across the board for my higher son French English Maths Drama and Modern Studies and I don’t know if that would be enough to get into law school 😂 open to any advice, is two advanced highers too much? Would I be better taking one and loads of work experience? Or should I drop the psychology and instead do mock trials after school? Thanks so much )))
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by african_sunset)
Hello

Next year I will be going into 6th year and I’m a little unsure what subjects I should choose. Currently I have selected higher Human biology, higher psychology, advanced modern studies and advanced English. I’m not entirely sure what I want to do yet, probably a law degree to become a solicitor or a psychology degree to become a psychologist or councillor (not too sure as become a psychologist can take a long time). I was wondering if I would be better off dropping a couple of subjects and using my time instead to do work experience or would it be better to just do the subjects? I’m predicted A’s across the board for my higher son French English Maths Drama and Modern Studies and I don’t know if that would be enough to get into law school 😂 open to any advice, is two advanced highers too much? Would I be better taking one and loads of work experience? Or should I drop the psychology and instead do mock trials after school? Thanks so much )))
Hi there!

So exciting you're getting to the stage of picking your subjects again for 6th year You've already got a good grounding with the Highers you've got so far.

If you're interested in studying Law, I'd recommend focusing on what we would call 'essay based' subjects. You're already on the right lines with Higher Psychology and Advanced Modern Studies and English! I'd say that Higher Psychology and Adv. Modern Studies are certainly relevant towards Law, given the study of things like human behaviour/current affairs etc. English is a good one too as you're analysing and comparing texts- a good skill for potential lawyers to have. If you're between studying Law/Psychology at university - picking Higher Psychology is a good idea. This gives you a taster of what Psychology is which will let you have a think about whether or not you'd enjoy it at uni.

Work experience isn't essential usually but if you can get some that will support your application nicely. I also think this is a good idea as it gives you an insight in to the profession (for example if you watch a mock trial and you don't like the look of it, you then have time to reconsider your choices before you submit your UCAS form). Likewise, lots of work experience could be relevant and it doesn't have to be specific to law. Working in retail gives you experience interacting with people from all walks of life, being in a call centre shows you have good listening skills, and tutoring shows you are a patient and concise individual. These are all skills an academic selector would like seeing in a potential uni student And balancing any form of work experience with your studies also shows a great work ethic and commitment so that's something to point out in your Personal Statement too.

I hope some of this helps? Have you already had a chance to watch any mock trials/shadow a lawyer or anything like that? Do you think you're swaying more towards Law than Psychology at the moment?

Best of luck on results day! I'm sure you'll do great, and I'm more than happy to chat to you about your next steps if you like.

-Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
african_sunset
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hi there!

So exciting you're getting to the stage of picking your subjects again for 6th year You've already got a good grounding with the Highers you've got so far.

If you're interested in studying Law, I'd recommend focusing on what we would call 'essay based' subjects. You're already on the right lines with Higher Psychology and Advanced Modern Studies and English! I'd say that Higher Psychology and Adv. Modern Studies are certainly relevant towards Law, given the study of things like human behaviour/current affairs etc. English is a good one too as you're analysing and comparing texts- a good skill for potential lawyers to have. If you're between studying Law/Psychology at university - picking Higher Psychology is a good idea. This gives you a taster of what Psychology is which will let you have a think about whether or not you'd enjoy it at uni.

Work experience isn't essential usually but if you can get some that will support your application nicely. I also think this is a good idea as it gives you an insight in to the profession (for example if you watch a mock trial and you don't like the look of it, you then have time to reconsider your choices before you submit your UCAS form). Likewise, lots of work experience could be relevant and it doesn't have to be specific to law. Working in retail gives you experience interacting with people from all walks of life, being in a call centre shows you have good listening skills, and tutoring shows you are a patient and concise individual. These are all skills an academic selector would like seeing in a potential uni student And balancing any form of work experience with your studies also shows a great work ethic and commitment so that's something to point out in your Personal Statement too.

I hope some of this helps? Have you already had a chance to watch any mock trials/shadow a lawyer or anything like that? Do you think you're swaying more towards Law than Psychology at the moment?

Best of luck on results day! I'm sure you'll do great, and I'm more than happy to chat to you about your next steps if you like.

-Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Yeah at the moment I think I’m swaying more towards law 😂 thanks so much. I have shadowed a law firm only once and found it very interesting especially the immigration department. Unfortunately due to COVID I Am not sure if I’ll be able to do my psychology higher because it is at a college. 🙄 Thanks for all the advice I’ll be sure to take that on board. )))))
thepunmaster.e
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 minutes ago
I’m not sure doing 2 AHs and 2 Highers are a good idea as adv highers are a lot of work especially humanities subjects like modern studies which require a lot of reading. If you want to do law psychology is a lot closer to it than human biology so maybe you could drop that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (72)
40.22%
Take autumn exams (60)
33.52%
Look for a job (5)
2.79%
Consider an apprenticeship (6)
3.35%
Take a year out (25)
13.97%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
6.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed