Turn on thread page Beta

Giving laptop to repair but... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have damaged my laptop by accident, it wont even turn on and its been like that for 3 months. At first, I was going to remove the hard drive and save all my data but I am not sure how to and rather than it just sitting at home I thought I would sort it out. However, it's from comet so I am giving it to them to fix it as its insured.

What I want to know is, do they take out my hard drive (which isnt damaged) and place a new one in or do they leave that in and will it be wiped. This is as it contains personal stuff...

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm im not to sure, but if they do fix it I think everything on your hard drive will be lost, unless you tell them to try and save it... but this would cost you

It really depends how badly damaged it is ... but im no expert

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt mind if data is lost but what I am saying is, would they insert a new hard drive in or would they leave the old one in. I just don't want my old hard drive to be used on another pc they may give out.

ReputationRep:
    Usually with laptops when they do stop working, the whole hard drive has to be replaced.

If they do.. you should ask for your old one back, and u can smash it up.

ReputationRep:
    They'll only replace the hard disk if there's a fault with it - and if there is, they probably won't be putting it in any other computers.

ReputationRep:
    water fell in it and when i restarted, it came up with memory dump so restarted again and it wouldn't even turn on. As far as I know hd is ok then?

ReputationRep:
    If they put the hard drive in another computer, can that user have all my data?

ReputationRep:
    I am sure that they won't re-use your old hard drive... but IF they did then yes that person would have all your data... BUT they won't re-use your hard drive ..

Just try to get your old hard drive back if you can. so you can dispose of it.

ReputationRep:
    No, they won't put your HDD in another's computer. They'll throw it away if they replace it.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.