Protected by EU Withdrawal Agreement with pre-settled status?

Watch
Daniekie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm an EU student starting an Access to HE course this September. In September 2021 I want to start a course at university.
Now that there have been updates regarding EU students studying in the UK after Brexit, I'm a bit worried.

On the university website it says EU students will no longer be eligible for home fee status for courses starting in 2021. However, EU nationals benefitting from Citizens' Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement will NOT be affected by this.
I've applied for pre-settled status. Does this mean if I get pre-settled status the tuition fees would be the same for me as for UK students?
Thanks!
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Daniekie)
I'm an EU student starting an Access to HE course this September. In September 2021 I want to start a course at university.
Now that there have been updates regarding EU students studying in the UK after Brexit, I'm a bit worried.

On the university website it says EU students will no longer be eligible for home fee status for courses starting in 2021. However, EU nationals benefitting from Citizens' Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement will NOT be affected by this.
I've applied for pre-settled status. Does this mean if I get pre-settled status the tuition fees would be the same for me as for UK students?
Thanks!
Hi you will be ineligible for funding unless you have settled status.
Daniekie
Rep:
?
(Original post by murpo)
Hi you will be ineligible for funding unless you have settled status.
Thanks for your reply I contacted SFE and they said it’s not clear yet since the government are still in discussion.
Seems weird that EU students wouldn’t be able to get funding with pre-settled status. Hopefully the new rules will only apply to those who aren’t protected by the EU settlement scheme, like students who don’t already live here in the UK (before 31st of December 2020).
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks for your reply I contacted SFE and they said it’s not clear yet since the government are still in discussion.
Seems weird that EU students wouldn’t be able to get funding with pre-settled status. Hopefully the new rules will only apply to those who aren’t protected by the EU settlement scheme, like students who don’t already live here in the UK (before 31st of December 2020).
The government are not still in discussion, whichever advisor told you that provided you with wrong information. Here is the information the government released https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...ort-in-england
Daniekie
Rep:
?
(Original post by murpo)
The government are not still in discussion, whichever advisor told you that provided you with wrong information. Here is the information the government released https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...ort-in-england
Read the link you sent me lol. “It will not affect students starting courses in academic year 2020/21, nor those EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals benefitting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively.”

The EU Settlement Scheme is part of the Withdrawal Agreement. So where did you read EU students have to have settled status and not pre-settled?
nermin01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am in the same situation. Would you be able to clarify as I haven't really understood the conclusion. The students that have enrolled in an Access Course which leads to an Undergraduate Degree (2021 entry) would be exempt from paying international fees if they have settled OR pre-settled in the UK before end of the year? Would appreciate some clarification. Thank you
Daniekie
Rep:
?
(Original post by nermin01)
I am in the same situation. Would you be able to clarify as I haven't really understood the conclusion. The students that have enrolled in an Access Course which leads to an Undergraduate Degree (2021 entry) would be exempt from paying international fees if they have settled OR pre-settled in the UK before end of the year? Would appreciate some clarification. Thank you
Hi, today I called SFE and got more information.

At first, she said they're just not sure yet how all this will affect EU students exactly, but that EU students have to have been living in the UK for 5 years prior to the start of the course to be eligible for home fee status.
She then mentioned the maintenance loan and I said I'm not interested in the maintenance loan because I know I can't get it at this point (there's certain criteria EU citizens have to meet to be eligible). When I said this she told me there haven't been any updates on Brexit affecting JUST the tuition fee loan. It's unlikely this will suddenly change, otherwise they would have already announced this.
To them, student finance means the tuition fee loan AND maintenance loan. In that case, EU citizens have to have lived in the UK for 5 years. She told me if I just apply for the tuition fee loan I should be fine and will get the minimum amount of money to cover the tuition fees.

EU students WILL still be able to get funding but only if they have pre-settled or settled status. I then asked how much I would get should it be the case where EU students will end up having to pay around £14.000 a year (like international students). She said if that's the case it's likely that SFE would then give the EU students more money to make up the difference in fees.
This became clear towards the end so it was a bit confusing but that's the conclusion.

Of course, it's not final until official announcements have been made but this is what they know at this point. They'll probably have exact details around January/February.
I'll keep checking for more information lol. Hope this was helpful!

Have you applied for pre-settled status?
nermin01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, today I called SFE and got more information.

At first, she said they're just not sure yet how all this will affect EU students exactly, but that EU students have to have been living in the UK for 5 years prior to the start of the course to be eligible for home fee status.
She then mentioned the maintenance loan and I said I'm not interested in the maintenance loan because I know I can't get it at this point (there's certain criteria EU citizens have to meet to be eligible). When I said this she told me there haven't been any updates on Brexit affecting JUST the tuition fee loan. It's unlikely this will suddenly change, otherwise they would have already announced this.
To them, student finance means the tuition fee loan AND maintenance loan. In that case, EU citizens have to have lived in the UK for 5 years. She told me if I just apply for the tuition fee loan I should be fine and will get the minimum amount of money to cover the tuition fees.

EU students WILL still be able to get funding but only if they have pre-settled or settled status. I then asked how much I would get should it be the case where EU students will end up having to pay around £14.000 a year (like international students). She said if that's the case it's likely that SFE would then give the EU students more money to make up the difference in fees.
This became clear towards the end so it was a bit confusing but that's the conclusion.

Of course, it's not final until official announcements have been made but this is what they know at this point. They'll probably have exact details around January/February.
I'll keep checking for more information lol. Hope this was helpful!

Have you applied for pre-settled status?
Thank you so much for your answer, much appreciated. I have not applied to pre-settled status as I haven't lived in the UK ever. I was supposed to move for this Access Course in August. If I do apply for pre-settled status soon would I be exempt from international fees for next year uni entry you think? Or is it just for those who have already lived before in the UK? Secondly, what has your university told you about this recent change? Are you the only European student in the class? Do you intend on attending the course in September even though you're not sure what will happen? By the way, I've read it's much more than 14k a year it's around 20k - 25k minimum
Daniekie
Rep:
?
(Original post by nermin01)
Thank you so much for your answer, much appreciated. I have not applied to pre-settled status as I haven't lived in the UK ever. I was supposed to move for this Access Course in August. If I do apply for pre-settled status soon would I be exempt from international fees for next year uni entry you think? Or is it just for those who have already lived before in the UK? Secondly, what has your university told you about this recent change? Are you the only European student in the class? Do you intend on attending the course in September even though you're not sure what will happen? By the way, I've read it's much more than 14k a year it's around 20k - 25k minimum
I would move to the UK as soon as possible if you are able to. What kind of accommodation will you be having?
It sounds like you would be in the same position as me. So as long as you only intend to apply for the tuition fee loan, your fees should be covered by SFE. Even if EU students with pre-settled or settled will have to pay international fees, the SFE employee told me they would then cover the difference.
However, from what is clear now we would be protected by the EU Withdrawal Agreement and therefore still have the same rights (and fees) as home students. This would be the case if you move here before the end of December 2020. So it doesn't matter as long as you're here before that date. (This isn't the case for the maintenance loan)
Do keep in mind that this is just what I've been told and things could still change (slightly).

I called the university I want to go to in September 2021 but they weren't much help. They mentioned a visa which I wouldn't need so it seems like they don't understand the changes yet.
I don't know if I'm the only EU student in my Access year class yet.

I do intend on going to university next year so I will be starting the Access course this September. Even though it's all a bit vague and uncertain, with the information I have at the moment it sounds like the EU nationals on the Settlement Scheme will be protected.
With regards to the international fees; the university I want to go to charges around £14k for international students. Obviously this depends on the university. Where are you thinking of applying to?

You should call SFE (EU department) and explain your situation just so you can talk to them about it and get some reassurance yourself. Make sure you say you would only apply for the tuition fee loan and not the maintenance loan (if that's the case for you).

If you have anything else you wanna talk about you can send me a PM our situations seem really similar and I've only lived in England since the beginning of June this year!
Shirohige
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would move to the UK as soon as possible if you are able to. What kind of accommodation will you be having?
It sounds like you would be in the same position as me. So as long as you only intend to apply for the tuition fee loan, your fees should be covered by SFE. Even if EU students with pre-settled or settled will have to pay international fees, the SFE employee told me they would then cover the difference.
However, from what is clear now we would be protected by the EU Withdrawal Agreement and therefore still have the same rights (and fees) as home students. This would be the case if you move here before the end of December 2020. So it doesn't matter as long as you're here before that date. (This isn't the case for the maintenance loan)
Do keep in mind that this is just what I've been told and things could still change (slightly).

I called the university I want to go to in September 2021 but they weren't much help. They mentioned a visa which I wouldn't need so it seems like they don't understand the changes yet.
I don't know if I'm the only EU student in my Access year class yet.

I do intend on going to university next year so I will be starting the Access course this September. Even though it's all a bit vague and uncertain, with the information I have at the moment it sounds like the EU nationals on the Settlement Scheme will be protected.
With regards to the international fees; the university I want to go to charges around £14k for international students. Obviously this depends on the university. Where are you thinking of applying to?

You should call SFE (EU department) and explain your situation just so you can talk to them about it and get some reassurance yourself. Make sure you say you would only apply for the tuition fee loan and not the maintenance loan (if that's the case for you).

If you have anything else you wanna talk about you can send me a PM our situations seem really similar and I've only lived in England since the beginning of June this year!
Hi

To be honest apart from that one annoucnement i imagine its not clear to anything, now bear in mind that it was only made quite recently, things could change and i wouldn't be surprised if SFE still don't have further guidance, which is understandable with whats going on in the world right now.
Daniekie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shirohige)
Hi

To be honest apart from that one annoucnement i imagine its not clear to anything, now bear in mind that it was only made quite recently, things could change and i wouldn't be surprised if SFE still don't have further guidance, which is understandable with whats going on in the world right now.
I’m sure they will come out with more detailed information, but they’re too unprepared. EU students need to know more because they have decisions to make. The announcements they make are so vague they should be more specific so people don’t get worried if they shouldn’t.
Like the employee on the phone thought I meant tuition fee and maintenance loan because that’s what most people would apply for.
EU nationals have to be protected (under certain criteria ofc) by law now.

What I’ve been told on the phone is what they know for now but yeah it could change.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads