For the year 12s /13s who took Further Maths AND Physics

Watch
username5348908
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Which did you think was harder, in your opinion?
Which took the longest to understand?
Which required the most effort/hours revising?
Which did you find the most interesting?
Which had the worst exams?

It would mean so much if you could take a second to respond! I'm taking 4 A levels next year (Physics as my 4th) and I just want to make sure I haven't made a mistake.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing your responses
KieranMalandain
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In my experience they bounce off each other quite well, I do them both and we do the mechanics modules in Maths and FM, which we also cover in physics, so it makes it less work in the longer run / you cover it twice so you become really good at it. I've just finished lower 6th so I couldn't say too much about what it will be like next year - although we have already covered angular motion and got halfway through SHM. I think it depends what you find harder - maths or concepts! Personally I prefer physics and so find the maths a little harder
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Further maths was more difficult on a conceptual level, like learning how to tackle a question and knowing what to do, but it was easier to get high marks once that was sorted out. Physics was easier conceptually, but due to the way the mark scheme worked it was more difficult to actually get the marks; you could be correct but not get the marks due to irrelevant info. I spent a bit longer on further maths because there is more content.
So in a nutshell they're equally difficult, but for different reasons.

Every exam board for physics has a "practical physics" paper where they talk more about experimental setups, measurements, errors and uncertainties (for AQA that's paper 3). Nobody likes that paper, the notional grade boundaries for that paper are always lower than the other papers and it's more difficult to revise for because there just seem to be fewer practice questions available for it.

None of the further maths exams seemed that bad, there wasn't any one paper that I was dreading, but it was harder to finish them in time, whereas I had a nice amount of time at the end of the physics exams to check my work.
Black Sensei
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lizzie.zipmouth)

It would mean so much if you could take a second to respond! I'm taking 4 A levels next year (Physics as my 4th) and I just want to make sure I haven't made a mistake.

I'm doing both next year
Gent2324
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lizzie.zipmouth)

1. physics, less maths-like
2. physics, you have to visualise real scenarios not maths
3. further maths, easier, but more content and every page in the textbooks would have new concepts you need to learn and be good with.
4. further maths, but thats subjective, if you like maths, you'll love further maths
5. physics, paper 3 is horrific
username5348908
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I suppose it is very subjective so there's no right or wrong answer haha but it was nice seeing it from your point of views
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.36%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.45%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.15%
I need help with my personal statement (91)
41.94%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (53)
24.42%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.84%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (17)
7.83%

Watched Threads