aesamira
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, I’m trying to revise some Biology, Chemistry and Physics content. Last year for my exams I revised by copying out the textbook - and jut re-writing it until I remembered everything. It worked well and I did well in my exams however I’d say it was quite time consuming.

Over the summer I have to self teach 3 topics (B5, B6, C6) because school was shut and I haven’t been able to finish them through online teaching. I’m finding it quite hard to self teach topics whilst revising others at the same time. Does anybody have any good revision methods that are effective and aren’t very time consuming. I’ve been trying out audio notes, but I’m not sure how effective they will be - would it be effective to listen to them and take notes of key points whilst listening - or is taking more detailed notes often more effective? Any help or good revision techniques will be really helpful!! If it helps I’m a mix of visual and an auditory learner

Thanks! <3
Last edited by aesamira; 9 months ago
sunsetpeony
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
hey! i feel like writing things out, though time consuming, is really beneficial (for me, anyway!) so perhaps you could stick with that but supplement it with other methods - perhaps watching a quick summary video on youtube to break up that cycle?

when i studied science for gcse, i used the Seneca website to also help consolidate my knowledge. i wouldn't solely rely on it, but it was quite a good filler revision website to use when i was fed up with writing notes (which isn't hard to get tired of!). some of it was pretty boring and annoying, but i felt like it was actually beneficial to me and my grades.

also, revision clocks (search google for a template) can be a good way to summarise your written notes into more concise pieces of information!

finally, just remember that not one revision method is better than another - as long as it works for you, and you are spending time doing productive revision, then that's okay! good luck! x
steph7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I also like writing things out, so I found making flashcards and testing myself/ getting tested on them to be very useful!

Also, youtubers such as freesciencelessons or Primrose Kitten may help you since you are an auditory learner. Doing practice questions is also super helpful for revision, but is best once you know the content fairly well.
tansrr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I made notes for triple science by summarising the information from the textbook on index cards. So for example, for Osmosis I'd fill up like one side of an index card with the key information. I'd sometimes get my family or friends to test me by calling out the title of the index card e.g. "Giant Covalent Structures" and I'd list everything I could remember and they'd tell me if I missed out anything.

If I was revising a topic I hadn't covered in a while I'd do a mind map (or brain vomit as I like to call it). I find revising from brain vomits ineffective, but they're so good for seeing what you already know! Then you can target areas of a topic you don't know as well.

That helped me with memorising the content.

In order to do well in exams, you also need the exam technique. What I would do before mock exams is do exam questions from "https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/" and "https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/gcse-biology-revision/gcse-biology-exam-questions-by-topic/" to answer exam questions on a topic. I'd then follow this up with a past paper. I'd mark the past paper, highlight the areas I was weak on then go and do exam questions on those areas. I would also do the memorisation with the index cards for them too.

Before a mock exam I'd watch Primose Kitten's summarisation videos of the entire of GCSE Biology Paper 1 for example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKYQ-K23Mr4/. I'd skip the parts I was confident in, then note down the areas I need more practice in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
12.82%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (73)
62.39%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
11.97%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (12)
10.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.56%

Watched Threads