Cambridge/LSE/UCL costs Watch

postgrad1987
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,

I'm hoping to do a postgraduate in the IR/IPE area. I'm finding a bit hard to comprehend the huge price differences. UCL, for example, has a Legal and Political Theory course for under £6,000, whilst a IPE course at LSE is £13,000. Cambridge, on the otherhand, seems to offer an International Relations MPhil - with a stirling reputation to boot - for £14,000 including maintenance costs! (see http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/g.../graduate.html.

Given the massive difference, should I downplay the LSE option? It would seem Cambridge would offer the best for value, and being able to study a decent looking course at UCL for less than £5,000 seems very attractive. I realise the course content varies, but frankly the UCL seems a well establishec course ran by experts in the field.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't comment on the relative contents of the courses. But the different prices seem to come down to uni policy. LSE prices each course according to a perceived (very high) market value. Cambridge prices each degree according to a (highish) market value, with the exception of the three courses it highlights. I presume you have to add another £10k ish for the UCL course living costs?

I can confirm that £14k for the Cam MPhil in IR is realistic and allows you to live a reasonable student lifestyle.
S_Dimelow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have to say that when considering postgrad options, I did think LSE was surprisingly expensive but ultimately, as can be seen in the below article (and confirmed by the above post), the reason stems from demand.

http://www.independent.co.uk/student...ck-424422.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (75)
29.41%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.65%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.94%

Watched Threads