Do you get capped at 40% when retaking a year at uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was considering retaking my third year at uni due to COVID-19 but I was just told you get capped at 40% for every module you retake, is this true? Even if they’re first attempts you still get capped?

I still have 2 exams, a piece of coursework and my dissertation to complete but I was told by university that if I kept applying for extenuating circumstances in September (week commencing the 7th) that I was able to repeat my third year again all together, but get capped at 40% for all the modules

Would I even achieve a good classified degree if I get capped at 40% for my whole third year? My second semester grades were also mediocre with 49% being my highest.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I’m not familiar with your university process but for mine, it meant resits would be capped at 40%. First sittings/attempts would be uncapped at my university if there were legitimate extenuating circumstances but it would be noted on your transcript.
At many universities the final year is worth the most towards your degree classification and if you’re capped at 40%, you are most likely to obtain a Third Class Honours degree or a 2:2 if your first/second year averages were extremely high.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was considering retaking my third year at uni due to COVID-19 but I was just told you get capped at 40% for every module you retake, is this true? Even if they’re first attempts you still get capped?

I still have 2 exams, a piece of coursework and my dissertation to complete but I was told by university that if I kept applying for extenuating circumstances in September (week commencing the 7th) that I was able to repeat my third year again all together, but get capped at 40% for all the modules

Would I even achieve a good classified degree if I get capped at 40% for my whole third year? My second semester grades were also mediocre with 49% being my highest.
In a normal scenario most unis would cap the marks at 40%, you would need to check your universities regulations.

If you have extenuating circumstances perhaps you could appeal to have the resit year uncapped, but you would have to show evidence that this is justified.
Chadajadex
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you mean by noted on your transcript?
asmee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Which university?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

when I did pharmacy at medway (uni of kent and uni of greenwich), it was that much, but i know some people at other unis who said their cap was 50%.
Chadajadex
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by asmee)
Which university?
Wolverhampton
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chadajadex)
What do you mean by noted on your transcript?
For my university, on your transcript with all the breakdown of marks, there's a column next to it with codes on whether it's first sitting (extenuating circumstances), re-sit (after failed module), passed (normal first sitting with no extenuating circumstances), failed, condoned failed (failed but no need to retake) etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (12)
7.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (27)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (26)
16.05%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
14.81%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (45)
27.78%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (28)
17.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed