r.uh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
It's a scary thought but as a year 12 student attending a bog standard state school and who has essentially put all his eggs into one basket (the basket being Cambridge) what happens if I don't get in?

If anyone's got any advice about being rejected/ how it felt/ how you recovered that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you don't get in, the world is still pretty much your oyster! There are loads of excellent, world-class unis and departments dotted around the UK. Don't fall for the trap of putting all your eggs in one basket though. Make sure you're applying to other good unis (some with lower offers, so that you had a solid insurance choice even if you get a Cambridge offer - in case you fail to meet it). Cambridge isn't the be-all-and-end-all and will only give you an 'edge' over other people in a few fields these days (e.g. barrister training, investment banking being the main ones) if you do get in and meet your offer.

It's a good place to aspire to studying but don't become too fixated on it :nah:
TheStarboy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oxbridge isn't the end-all. The UK, like America, is supported by various prestigious unis, all have their own world-class reputation in various departments. Whatever happens, don't let the disappointment stop you from achieving your dreams/goals. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a trap. Instead, keep your expectations and your confidence and prospects high.
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by r.uh)
It's a scary thought but as a year 12 student attending a bog standard state school and who has essentially put all his eggs into one basket (the basket being Cambridge) what happens if I don't get in?

If anyone's got any advice about being rejected/ how it felt/ how you recovered that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
It happened to me a few years ago. I did make a post about it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4424310

In all honesty, I felt awful for a long time. I coped by throwing myself into university life at the university I ended up attending, and by the end of it, I was actually thankful I didn't get in, as the experience I had at university was immensely positive, but a completely different one to what I would have had at Oxford or Cambridge.

I have now been rejected by Oxford three times - once for my BA then twice for an MPhil in my third year and then post-uni gap year (it's getting quite funny). It really depressed me for a while. It was the first time I'd been unable to fulfil a goal of mine, and I didn't know how to deal with it.

This year, after much research, I tried for Cambridge, and I was accepted, with funding (which is apparently very rare at MPhil level). I feel like the course is a much better fit for me than the other ones I tried for were, and I'm very excited to start. I'll always have a slight chip on my shoulder, but in all honesty I'm glad it happened this way.
Last edited by Edminzodo; 1 week ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You wouldn't be putting all your eggs in one basket though. You'd be applying to 4 other unis in addition to Cambridge, so you will have backup choices.

If by putting all your eggs in one basket you mean getting overly excited for it and hyping it up too much, then that is a problem but you can avoid doing that.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by r.uh)

Thanks
I highly recommend you put a few more eggs (non-oxbridge) in the basket, because however excellent you are the odds are not in your favour.

There are lots of high quality institutions, you should look more broadly at what you want and find more unis you think are wonderful.

If Cambridge happens, great. But realistically you need a contingency plan as its more probable then not you'll need it.
Last edited by mnot; 1 week ago
r.uh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Edminzodo)
It happened to me a few years ago. I did make a post about it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4424310

In all honesty, I felt awful for a long time. I coped by throwing myself into university life at the university I ended up attending, and by the end of it, I was actually thankful I didn't get in, as the experience I had at university was immensely positive, but a completely different one. I have now been rejected by Oxford three times - once for my BA then twice for an MPhil in my third year and then post-uni gap year (it's getting quite funny). This year, after much research, I tried for Cambridge, and I was accepted, with funding (which is apparently very rare at MPhil level). I feel like the course is a much better fit for me than the other ones I tried for were, and I'm very excited to start. I'll always have a slight chip on my shoulder, but in all honesty I'm glad it happened this way.
Might I ask what subject you applied for at Cambridge as an undergraduate and which you uni u went to instead?
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by r.uh)

Thanks
My daughter applied for Oxford and failed to get in. She went to a top London university and got a first. She applied for both Oxford and Cambridge for a masters and got both. Turned them down. Oxbridge really isn't the be all and end all. There are other equally good universities. Just they don't brag about it.
dxnixl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Take some eggs out of the basket and look into other universities.
As my friend (harshly told me): 'Suck up your pride and apply to Manchester and Leeds'.
A few hours of research told me that league tables and rankings aren't everything - there are other great universities out there.

I don't think of Cambridge as my 'pre-planned destination' anymore, but more of an aspiration.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

In all honesty, I felt awful for a long time. I coped by throwing myself into university life at the university I ended up attending, and by the end of it, I was actually thankful I didn't get in, as the experience I had at university was immensely positive, but a completely different one to what I would have had at Oxford or Cambridge.

I have now been rejected by Oxford three times - once for my BA then twice for an MPhil in my third year and then post-uni gap year (it's getting quite funny). It really depressed me for a while. It was the first time I'd been unable to fulfil a goal of mine, and I didn't know how to deal with it.

This year, after much research, I tried for Cambridge, and I was accepted, with funding (which is apparently very rare at MPhil level). I feel like the course is a much better fit for me than the other ones I tried for were, and I'm very excited to start. I'll always have a slight chip on my shoulder, but in all honesty I'm glad it happened this way.
You don't know how happy I am to hear this. Well done. xx
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by r.uh)
Might I ask what subject you applied for at Cambridge as an undergraduate and which you uni u went to instead?
I applied to Oxford for Oriental Studies. Ended up at Liverpool (turning down UCL in the process, which shocked quite a lot of people). It was the right choice for me and I don't regret it at all now.
Last edited by Edminzodo; 1 week ago
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
You don't know how happy I am to hear this. Well done. xx
Thank you - that means a lot. ❤️ It really has been a journey of personal growth and self exploration, but I've learnt a lot from it (including that life isn't fair, or maybe more accurately, that it doesn't work out the way you planned).
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you - that means a lot. ❤️ It really has been a journey of personal growth and self exploration, but I've learnt a lot from it (including that life isn't fair, or maybe more accurately, that it doesn't work out the way you planned).
I used to watch the Oxbridge threads, to give me some inspiration for Oxford Demystified. Yes, I watched you get rejected again and again. It was heartbreaking. Now I feel like having a glass of something fizzy to celebrate.
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
I used to watch the Oxbridge threads, to give me some inspiration for Oxford Demystified. Yes, I watched you get rejected again and again. It was heartbreaking. Now I feel like having a glass of something fizzy to celebrate.
Aaw, thank you! It's genuinely so touching. If you ever write anything about rejection, give me a shout. And have a glass on me, OM!
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by r.uh)

Thanks
In what way are all your eggs in one basket??? Are you just not applying to any other unis or... :lolwut:

Oxbridge are unique in many aspects and undoubtedly the most competitive and well resourced unis, but doesn't mean they're everything. Having a backup plan is entirely sensible.
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nexttime)
In what way are all your eggs in one basket??? Are you just not applying to any other unis or... :lolwut:

Oxbridge are unique in many aspects and undoubtedly the most competitive and well resourced unis, but doesn't mean they're everything. Having a backup plan is entirely sensible.
Hopefully OP is applying to other universities. There was someone in my school who only applied to Oxford, however (luckily they got in).
r.uh
Rep:
?
I'm going to apply just to Cambridge to maximise my chances
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by r.uh)
You're not going to apply to 4 other universities? This won't maximise your chances, your chances will be the same as everyone else who applies for 5 universities.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by r.uh)
Name:  not-sure-if-being-serious-or-being-ironic.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  30.6 KB
justjas33
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by r.uh)
No that won’t maximise your chances!! Universities don’t see what other unis you’ve applied to - it honestly doesn’t impact your chances at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (5)
16.13%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (8)
25.81%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (18)
58.06%

Watched Threads