moso2203
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
in a similar situation, except i'm worried cambridge isn't "right" for me in terms of my own personal comfort. of course, its academically prestigious but my own wellbeing and comfort comes first still going to apply since the opportunity is important, but i'm not keen or anticipating too much, and a tiny part of me hopes to get rejected so i can focus on the other unis.
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by moso2203)
in a similar situation, except i'm worried cambridge isn't "right" for me in terms of my own personal comfort. of course, its academically prestigious but my own wellbeing and comfort comes first still going to apply since the opportunity is important, but i'm not keen or anticipating too much, and a tiny part of me hopes to get rejected so i can focus on the other unis.
Feel the same as you bro, but might not bother applying to Oxford / Cambridge - my mental health comes first, and I don’t want to be in an environment where the terms are so short and stressful
moso2203
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RaA64)
Feel the same as you bro, but might not bother applying to Oxford / Cambridge - my mental health comes first, and I don’t want to be in an environment where the terms are so short and stressful
definitely. i'll have to discuss this with friends + teachers when school resumes. i've already told them i'm interested in cambridge but they won't mind me changing my mind obviously, they have no control over that. when i think about cambridge, ngl it's things like the high entry requirements, the academic prestige, the reputation of the uni after graduating, etc which are all factors but those aren't convincing imo and are the wrong reasons for applying. i'll have to think hard about whether i really want to go through with this or not, it's a lot of stress and i don't *have* to put myself in the situation by applying for it. will i regret it? eh, probably not. my career plan (Teaching) isn't that competitive where the name of your uni instantly lands you a job, and my local uni is a russell group, soo...
GillisRobbieWGS
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by r.uh)
It's a scary thought but as a year 12 student attending a bog standard state school and who has essentially put all his eggs into one basket (the basket being Cambridge) what happens if I don't get in?

If anyone's got any advice about being rejected/ how it felt/ how you recovered that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
I've done a similar thing in terms of putting all my hopes and dreams on going to Cambridge too
One thing that a friend of mine who went to Cambridge told me is this.

"Though Cambridge is great, it is not everything. It is very difficult to get in and unless you genuinely love it there, you will not succeed."

What I took away from that conversation is that I needed to look at other universities and get enthusiastic about the ones that I apply to in October, so that if I am rejected, I can walk away and say "Well, I'm going to X and I'm very excited!" rather than "Urgh, I have to got to X, oh woe is me, why didn't I get into Cambridge?"

My sister had an interview herself but was rejected, but she is now at Lancaster and having an absolute ball!

What subject are you looking to study? Maybe look at the league tables to see which other unis you like
Good luck with your Cambridge application!
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by GillisRobbieWGS)
I've done a similar thing in terms of putting all my hopes and dreams on going to Cambridge too
One thing that a friend of mine who went to Cambridge told me is this.

"Though Cambridge is great, it is not everything. It is very difficult to get in and unless you genuinely love it there, you will not succeed."

What I took away from that conversation is that I needed to look at other universities and get enthusiastic about the ones that I apply to in October, so that if I am rejected, I can walk away and say "Well, I'm going to X and I'm very excited!" rather than "Urgh, I have to got to X, oh woe is me, why didn't I get into Cambridge?"

My sister had an interview herself but was rejected, but she is now at Lancaster and having an absolute ball!

What subject are you looking to study? Maybe look at the league tables to see which other unis you like
Good luck with your Cambridge application!
I would say, apply if you want to, and see getting a place as a bonus. If my sons hadn't got into Oxford, they would have been perfectly happy at Bristol (elder son) and KCL (younger son). I don't buy this opinion that Oxbridge is everything, and as a single parent, I couldn't afford to let them wait a year and reapply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (209)
38.56%
Take autumn exams (163)
30.07%
Look for a job (19)
3.51%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.06%
Take a year out (96)
17.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed