Oxford Gym Watch

SolInvictus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
After having received my fresher's pack, I am now in fear of gaining weight, and generally moving in the direction of poor health. I really enjoy working out, and it gives me the strength and stamina to concentrate and really move myself into work.
However, between G&D, and a sedentary lifestyle of studying, it seems I really will need to keep up a good physical routine. Are there any gyms in Oxford, preferably ones open for a long time?
cpchem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most colleges have them. They do tend to smell of rower, though.
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mm - there's the (I think it's called, at least) Bourton Health Club on High Street, and a Bannatyne's somewhere in Banbury. There are also college gyms (which would obviously depend on your College!), and the university gym, down at the Iffley Road Sports Centre As to which are good, and what membership fees there are, I can't say, as I get by from just running and playing Tennis, but I'd imagine that the University Gym would be quite cheap for the year, Bannatyne's might be very expensive, but properly a little nicer than Bourton's. I might be completely wrong though
probably not
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
there's also la fitness round the corner from pembroke (sort of)
j_w
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some of the colleges have a gym of sorts (although generally very limited!)... the university gym at Iffley isn't amazing but is more than adequate, and VERY cheap if your a student (plus - several of the colleges pay for membership there so if your at one of those its free). During the day and weekends its usually fairly quiet, only really packed just before/just after dinner (around 6). In otherwords, Iffley's probably a good choice as long as your college is reasonably central (otherwise its a bit of a walk).

Saying that though... its soooo easy to get involved in any sport no matter what your ability, especially at college level - so always worth bearing in mind in addition to just training in the gym!
magi246
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Any ideas how Christ Church is fixed for gyms?
RawJoh1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Uni gym prices for students can be found here.
http://www.sport.ox.ac.uk/oxford-uni...hip-categories
Alive
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What college are you at? Some have quite decent gyms, others absolutly terrible ones.

Iffley is cheap, and from what I saw of it last year, pretty good quality. I'll be joining it this year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads