Can I become a lawyer with a Criminology degree?

Watch this thread
TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm really interested in Criminology and feel that I would be better-suited to studying that at uni rather than Law. I have looked into Criminology with Law but I would love to go to Durham where they don't offer this, and again I'm not sure if I'd be suited to studying Law at all at uni.

I have heard you can do conversion courses if you study a degree that is not Law at uni - is this true? Could anyone give more information about this? Is going to Durham (hopefully) for Criminology a good route for becoming a lawyer? I appreciate any feedback, thank you.
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
It is true that you can do a GDL into law but it's way more expensive than doing it at undergraduate so it's worth wondering whether it's really worth it (not really sure about the competition). Like you said, you can actually do a degree called law with criminology which gives you the accreditation.
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr...iminology.aspx

Do you know what you want to do in the future? What is it about criminology you think you would prefer over a law degree?
harry_gill_23
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
If I was in your shoes I would choose the law undergraduate - it should in theory give you a better grounding. Also, if you are aiming to enter the legal profession it would save money rather than also having to do the conversion course.
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hmm it seems that you're interested in a job where you study criminals and/or criminal law rather than the goal of becoming a lawyer (correct me if I'm wrong). You don't necessarily have to take a law degree to have a career in law if your end goal isn't to become a lawyer. Here's a link below of all the job careers you can get with a criminology degree:
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ee/criminology

Have you ever considered forensic or criminal psychology? From what you tell me it seems like you would be interested in it
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The probation service wants you and not in a bad way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (13)
24.53%
As I expected (15)
28.3%
Harder (22)
41.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.66%

Watched Threads