Einstein- What did he do? Watch

JointVenture
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Alright so i know he came up with the theory of relativity, but i dont know what this means. Can someone explain it simply as to why this theory was such a big deal etc? Just curious really!!
clank
Report 10 years ago
read 'a brief history of time'...or maybe 'a briefer history of time' your choice

he's the one that put forward that time isnt a constant. its a variable relative to the observer...very simplified... and badly explained on my part im afraid!
JointVenture
Rep:
?
(Original post by clank)
read 'a brief history of time'...or maybe 'a briefer history of time' your choice

he's the one that put forward that time isnt a constant. its a variable relative to the observer...very simplified... and badly explained on my part im afraid!
Yeah im not too academic, thats why i was asking lol, i reckon those books are a very heavy read!
Sick Puppy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein

Rei
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JointVenture)
Yeah im not too academic, thats why i was asking lol, i reckon those books are a very heavy read!
Nah, 'A brief history of time' really isn't heavy, quite small actually..
clank
Report 10 years ago
a briefer history of time isnt so bad...good diagrams
astonish99
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I heard Einstein was autistic. Is this true?
JointVenture
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sick Puppy)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein

Lol, i looked at that, do you find that simple?
JocastaJackal
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by astonish99)
I don't think he was. I heard he didn't speak a word until he was nine or something, though, which caused them to think that.
Oddball
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
He proved that previous 'Newtonian' ideas about static time and space dimensions were incorrect - and showed that events happen in a time and space relative to an observer. And it has been proved that he was correct.

Two very accurate clocks, precisely synched will show a difference when one is flown very high and very fast for a period of time.

The trouble now is trying to sew together general relativity and quantum mechanics - if we can do this, then we'd be much closer to having a GUT (Grand Unified Theory).
Sick Puppy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lol, i looked at that, do you find that simple?
It's not exactly simple but it's understandable
JointVenture
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oddball)
He proved that previous 'Newtonian' ideas about static time and space dimensions were incorrect - and showed that events happen in a time and space relative to an observer. And it has been proved that he was correct.

Two very accurate clocks, precisely synched will show a difference when one is flown very high and very fast for a period of time.

The trouble now is trying to sew together general relativity and quantum mechanics - if we can do this, then we'd be much closer to having a GUT (Grand Unified Theory).
Ah, now that i can understand!! Wicked! Thank you!
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein

In simple english. So much easier to understand. That's got me through so much :p:
spex
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Einstein's theories detail that time isn't constant as we assumed it to be, that the speed of light is a special number, and that energy and mass are equivalent. Basically, he just refined newton's laws of universal gravitation, and conjectured that there are massive amounts of energy inside the atom.
eulerwaswrong
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Alright so i know he came up with the theory of relativity, but i dont know what this means. Can someone explain it simply as to why this theory was such a big deal etc? Just curious really!!
well its argued he didnt come up with relativity

and its argued that he didnt come up with a lot of things which everybody steriotypically thinks of him as doing.

He was still a great man - and brought together lots of existing ideas - and the biggy being stuff with time
JointVenture
Rep:
?
(Original post by eulerwaswrong)
well its argued he didnt come up with relativity

and its argued that he didnt come up with a lot of things which everybody steriotypically thinks of him as doing.

He was still a great man - and brought together lots of existing ideas - and the biggy being stuff with time
he may not have done it?

BTW man, you are hated? how comes? what did you do? Kill Fireman Sam?
Murphology
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oddball)
then we'd be much closer to having a GUT (Grand Unified Theory).
aka much closer to having a TOE :p: Theory of Everything. What body part acronym shall we use next?
JointVenture
Rep:
?
(Original post by Raquel//)
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein

In simple english. So much easier to understand. That's got me through so much :p:
Ahh, thats what i was looking for! Simple English! The big words in the other one got me :o:
-Em-
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by astonish99)
I heard that retroactively diagnosing people with conditions which weren't well understood in their lifetime was fairly irresponsible.

But then I only heard it
eulerwaswrong
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
he may not have done it?

BTW man, you are hated? how comes? what did you do? Kill Fireman Sam?
im not ****ging the guy off or anything butthe idea of relativity had been about for a while. And lots of other things people claim where first thought of by other people.

Yet einstein took these ideas further and developed them further

PSalmost all my rep comes from me saying EMA is a waste of government money
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.81%
Pro-humanity (168)
54.19%

Watched Threads