mango35
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello,
I have sat my national 5s and am waiting on my 5 higher results in August. I still don't know what I want to study at uni, however law and business with french are both possibilities. I am set to take biology and admin (both crash higher), and advanced higher english and maths in August. I have struggled with maths so far and I am considering swapping it with advanced higher french. Since I don't know what to study at uni, should I swap maths with french or drop a subject altogether?? Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mango35)
Hello,
I have sat my national 5s and am waiting on my 5 higher results in August. I still don't know what I want to study at uni, however law and business with french are both possibilities. I am set to take biology and admin (both crash higher), and advanced higher english and maths in August. I have struggled with maths so far and I am considering swapping it with advanced higher french. Since I don't know what to study at uni, should I swap maths with french or drop a subject altogether?? Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Definitely wait to see what your grades are. If you're considering studying a language (even the tiniest bit), I'd highly recommend doing AH French or just sitting in the class (you don't need to take the exam). Just the experience of AH French will be more than enough to prep you to study a language at university.

In any case, for your other subjects, honestly just wait until you know your S5 ones. For uni, you need Higher grades. Advanced Highers don't matter. I also might not recommend crashing both Bio and Admin... They're both heavy on info/detail, especially if you haven't done them before. I'd recommend something really easy and fun like RMPS or crashing Spanish, especially if you end up doing well in French.
mango35
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Definitely wait to see what your grades are. If you're considering studying a language (even the tiniest bit), I'd highly recommend doing AH French or just sitting in the class (you don't need to take the exam). Just the experience of AH French will be more than enough to prep you to study a language at university.

In any case, for your other subjects, honestly just wait until you know your S5 ones. For uni, you need Higher grades. Advanced Highers don't matter. I also might not recommend crashing both Bio and Admin... They're both heavy on info/detail, especially if you haven't done them before. I'd recommend something really easy and fun like RMPS or crashing Spanish, especially if you end up doing well in French.
Thank you for your advice. I will definitely have to email my school about adv french as I don't know if they are even running the course this year. Hopefully by results day I will have more clarity on the situation!
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mango35)
Thank you for your advice. I will definitely have to email my school about adv french as I don't know if they are even running the course this year. Hopefully by results day I will have more clarity on the situation!
Sounds like a plan. Feel free to message me or to tag me on here when that time comes. More than happy to help! I also can't recommend languages enough; they're such a joy to study and really do open a world of opportunities in the future. :rambo:
thepunmaster.e
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 minutes ago
I wouldn’t recommend doing 2 crash highers in one year, as they normally take a fair amount of time as you’ve never done them. Could you maybe take AH English, AH French and higher biology (which keeps your options open)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (70)
40%
Take autumn exams (59)
33.71%
Look for a job (5)
2.86%
Consider an apprenticeship (6)
3.43%
Take a year out (24)
13.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
6.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed