The Student Room Group

year 11

How is year 11
i am going to yr 11 after summer
soo
is it stressful
or is it chill
is there any advice i can take before entering yr 11
Depends on which school you go to and how strict your teachers are for each subject tbh. All I can advise is do all the summer work if there was any set by your teacher and make revision resources like flashcards or mindmaps for your class notes. If you make them now, you'll waste much less time when it comes to your mocks and exams as you get get started straight away on revision instead of faffing around. Also try to make revision resources or consolidation notes as you go throughout yr 11. This will mean much less stress on the whole....good luck!
I was only in y11 up until march cos of corona but it was pretty chill apart from mocks, too much homework, and doing last minute revision. U can make it easier for yourself by doing light revision throughout the year so when it comes to mocks u wont be stressing as much
Reply 3
i'll be honest with you, I got grades ranging from 4-9 in my mock exams over Year 10 and 11 and I didn't start really revising regularly until January 2020 or like 2-3 days before a mock exam

However, I'm a person that's "naturally smart" (always been in either 1st or 2nd set for all my subjects) so revising at that time might not work for everyone. When I say I'm "naturally smart" please don't think I just walked into a mock exam and got like a 7 though; I didn't. I mean that all through Year 10 and parts of 11 I was getting grade 8s on class assesments for Maths but grade 5s in the mock exams because I couldn't apply what I knew to the exams.
When I actually practiced past papers for maths I went up 2 grades in six weeks. The same is true for English, the first mock exam I did I in Year 10 I got a 4, I had to reevaluate my exam technique and the last exam I did in February I got a 9.

what I advise you to do is to DO YOUR WORK and PAY ATTENTION in every subject. Actually listen in class (it helped that my friends weren't in most of my lessons, i'm a chatterbox) and don't be afraid to ask your teacher for help, that's what they're there for. I advise you to make notes where you feel necessary, I only made notes for Bio, Chem, Physics, and English Lit as there's so much to know and just did past papers for subjects like Business and Maths and didn't make notes on them. I didn't even do anything for Drama or Spanish lol, I just walked into mocks. If you want a good grade in the sciences start making DETAILED notes EARLY (i started in Year 10, December and didn't even finish them for every topic)

At the end of the day, the most important thing is paying attention in lessons so that you don't leave the room not understanding something, because you'll have to address in the future. When it comes to revising for mocks you want to be confident in most areas so that you don't spend all your time trying to understand things you don't know; revising should be about practicing the things you already know to ensure you can never get it wrong. If you keep leaving the room not understanding things, you won't be able to revise.

I'm not saying to be a nerd and do every piece of homework (I rushed most of mine at break time loool or just made up a stupid lie) but just ensure that you understand things, so that when it comes to revising your not learning stuff, you're just refreshing your memory. If you come out of every lesson not understanding things, THAT is when you will be panicking when you're sitting in an exam and you don't understand half of the things on the paper. I know, I've done it myself.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tansrr
i'll be honest with you, I got grades ranging from 4-9 in my mock exams over Year 10 and 11 and I didn't start really revising regularly until January 2020 or like 2-3 days before a mock exam

However, I'm a person that's "naturally smart" (always been in either 1st or 2nd set for all my subjects) so revising at that time might not work for everyone. When I say I'm "naturally smart" please don't think I just walked into a mock exam and got like a 7 though; I didn't. I mean that all through Year 10 and parts of 11 I was getting grade 8s on class assesments for Maths but grade 5s in the mock exams because I couldn't apply what I knew to the exams.
When I actually practiced past papers for maths I went up 2 grades in six weeks. The same is true for English, the first mock exam I did I in Year 10 I got a 4, I had to reevaluate my exam technique and the last exam I did in February I got a 9.

what I advise you to do is to DO YOUR WORK and PAY ATTENTION in every subject. Actually listen in class (it helped that my friends weren't in most of my lessons, i'm a chatterbox) and don't be afraid to ask your teacher for help, that's what they're there for. I advise you to make notes where you feel necessary, I only made notes for Bio, Chem, Physics, and English Lit as there's so much to know and just did past papers for subjects like Business and Maths and didn't make notes on them. I didn't even do anything for Drama or Spanish lol, I just walked into mocks. If you want a good grade in the sciences start making DETAILED notes EARLY (i started in Year 10, December and didn't even finish them for every topic)

At the end of the day, the most important thing is paying attention in lessons so that you don't leave the room not understanding something, because you'll have to address in the future. When it comes to revising for mocks you want to be confident in most areas so that you don't spend all your time trying to understand things you don't know; revising should be about practicing the things you already know to ensure you can never get it wrong. If you keep leaving the room not understanding things, you won't be able to revise.

I'm not saying to be a nerd and do every piece of homework (I rushed most of mine at break time loool or just made up a stupid lie) but just ensure that you understand things, so that when it comes to revising your not learning stuff, you're just refreshing your memory. If you come out of every lesson not understanding things, THAT is when you will be panicking when you're sitting in an exam and you don't understand half of the things on the paper. I know, I've done it myself.

omg thank you i am gonna start revising from next week like summer holidays because i want an 8 or a 9 peple say iti s impossible and now i am doubting myself
Reply 5
Original post by firdouss
omg thank you i am gonna start revising from next week like summer holidays because i want an 8 or a 9 peple say iti s impossible and now i am doubting myself

whoever told you it's impossible lied.

Last year I couldn't get past a 5 in Maths, I was sooo stressed because I thought I wouldn't be able to get into the college I wanted, all I needed was a 6. It was so bad to the point I hated the subject. Last time I spoke to my Maths teacher she told me she was going to predict me an 8. Now I'm debating chosing A Level Maths!

Quick Reply