What are the most overrated degrees?

Watch
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by physicsamor)
Other degrees like mine economics, you still suffer through the degree and then face a rough period of unemployment. Overrated for the depression it causes smh
Econ is definitely one of the more employable degrees. Not as much as med/eng clearly, but it's up there.
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This thread would have made a good poll btw!

My answer: Economics; Psychology; Politics...
Dechante
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
No offence, but Viking Studies...is that an actual thing?
ngl I had to google it myself and turns out that UCL offer it which surprised me tbh
Anonymous #5
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd say any non stem degrees apart from Law. None of the other degrees have that much benefit to society
GillisRobbieWGS
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Let's discuss
Psychology. Most people pick it because they don't know what else to do and then they never use their degree because the field is too competitive and the job sector is saturated, oversubscribed and stressful.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dechante)
ngl I had to google it myself and turns out that UCL offer it which surprised me tbh
That’s what I did too. 😂

I was quite surprised too. I’m yet to meet someone who is doing a Viking degree though.
Anonymous #6
Report 3 weeks ago
Biomed, psychology and law! All are useful degrees except for the fact everyone assumes that because we need research into mental illness or disease such as Alzheimer's there's gonna be jobs straight after graduation. These degrees are honestly oversaturated and overrated tbh
aniq212121
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Let's discuss
politics because people think of the prestige of doing the degree
TheMandalorian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd say any non stem degrees apart from Law. None of the other degrees have that much benefit to society
Lol this is such a dumb comment. Lots of law graduates do not even end up working in law because of how competitive it is to get into it.
username5336976
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Surf Science and Technology and one NI Uni has a degree about Jedi training back in 2008 - I think it’s was withdrawn for obvious reasons.
Joleee
Report 3 weeks ago
law is overrated. it's fun to study, but in the real world UK doesn't matter too much.
Mojmeer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
All humanities and arts degrees, just hobbies, zero applicability. Most of STEM wont help you much either, especially if you end up with something like 2:2 BSc Neuroscience from a B list school.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Business degrees are likely overrated in general 😂... But industry eats them up and they cost a ton.

I also have one... Starting the process of the 2nd BD in a month... 😂
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Data Science degrees that seem to be cropping up everywhere.
Anonymous #7
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
But they are doing so because of the demand and the growth of the field, no?
Mojmeer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Those are just applied maths degrees re-branded. Kind of like now all low level expoly Network Engineering degrees are now called Cyber Security
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mojmeer)
Those are just applied maths degrees re-branded. Kind of like now all low level expoly Network Engineering degrees are now called Cyber Security
at warwick - data science is basically computer science + statistics with a little bit of maths. There aren't actually any dedicated "data science" modules until the 3rd year lol. Always thought data science was mainly a postgrad thing.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
But they are doing so because of the demand and the growth of the field, no?
Data Science degrees are a ploy to just take cash to be honest. It's something that's easily self-taught even as a hobby. Would be so much smarter to do a Comp Sci degree (programming) or Statistics, or even Economics.

As a result of this, Data Science graduates end up having an extremely shallow understanding of the field and certainly wouldn't be able to rise to the ranks of a Machine Learning Engineer (for example).
Last edited by Quick-use; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #8
Report 3 weeks ago
Business studies. For people who want to go to University "for the experience" or to party, or they didn't know what they wanted to do for their degree.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Business studies. For people who want to go to University "for the experience" or to party, or they didn't know what they wanted to do for their degree.
Have to say - most business students I've come across do fall in this category lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.58%
Confident (14)
9.15%
Indifferent (16)
10.46%
Unsure (36)
23.53%
Worried (80)
52.29%

Watched Threads