Watch
quasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Universityhelp09)
What do you guys think of accounting and finance
most accountants i know dont have accounting degrees. a lot of a&f people i know however do work as analysts so i guess it depends what you want to do and on your grades (like all degrees tbh)
Last edited by quasa; 2 weeks ago
Broque_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Imagine bringing other people down for their degree or uni. Mind your business and don't be so dense. A degree doesn't make a person.
Anonymous #10
Report 2 weeks ago
pharmacy is an overrated degree. we just stand around all day sticking labels to boxes
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
pharmacy is an overrated degree. we just stand around all day sticking labels to boxes
i thought all pharmacists were glorified shopkeepers?
Anonymous #10
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
i thought all pharmacists were glorified shopkeepers?
nah mate, we're drug dealers
2_versions
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Medicine because everyone is acting like working for the NHS giving people anti-biotics is a prestigious career...
tan030
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 2_versions)
Medicine because everyone is acting like working for the NHS giving people anti-biotics is a prestigious career...
better to help people than be a self absorbed investment banker, who only care about themselves and stepping all over people just so they can make to the top of the corporate ladder.
tan030
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Biomed, psychology and law! All are useful degrees except for the fact everyone assumes that because we need research into mental illness or disease such as Alzheimer's there's gonna be jobs straight after graduation. These degrees are honestly oversaturated and overrated tbh
A biomedical science degree that is IBMS accredited can be very useful if the individual is looking to practice as a biomedical scientist - be it in a public or private healthcare sector.
Ideally (despite competition for places being high), the individual should look to complete a placement year within an NHS hospital where they complete part of their HCPC portfolio and get it signed off. This increases the likelihood of securing a band 5 position working as a trainee biomedical scientist who may initially start off with a 24K a year slary - but can easily earn upto 40K with increased seniority.

The problem is with Biomed degrees that are not accredited - and these tend to be offered by the more prestigious universities, with the view that biomed students will look to study a postgraduate degree, PhD ,medicine or start off in research assistant positions in small-mid sized biopharma/biotech companies and work their way up from there.

With relevant internships/placement years/vacation schemes, a biomed, law and psych degree can look very good - but the big name uni's fail to emphasise this and seem to ride off the fact that the Uni prestige/name will get them into some form of employment straight away.

long post I know but thought I'd add my two cents 😉
Last edited by tan030; 2 weeks ago
tan030
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
many 'top' universities fail to emphasise the importance of completing a placement year (and do not offer one either as part of the degree) or securing relevant work experience during the degree.

A law/business management degree can look very good if theres a good mix of study abroad, internships, placements, vacation schemes to go with it. A person may go to Anglia ruskin (no disrespect to the uni) and accumulate a load of relevant experience while someone may go to Nottingham/Sheffield/brum unis and add little value to their degree.
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You don't need them to go into those fields, but at the same time I've seen a lot of accountancy practices and accountancy graduate schemes from non-practice firms put those down as either an essential or desirable degree to have. By no means essential for the Big Four or the firms which trail them, though, but they're pretty rigorous degrees so I don't think having them would hurt you, especially if you're interested in the field.
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by tan030)
better to help people than be a self absorbed investment banker, who only care about themselves and stepping all over people just so they can make to the top of the corporate ladder.
As if that doesn't happen in the medical field...
Anonymous #11
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd say fashion, it's hard to get employment unless you go to a top fashion school then you may have a chance. Probably culinary and art too.
tan030
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TCA2b)
As if that doesn't happen in the medical field...
you sound defensive - I never said that it didn't occur. But it is more prominent in Investment banker sectors where its every man for themselves with a miserable work-life balance and fakeness
Dechante
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think that if your goal is to become an accountant then uni isn't really that useful as there are so many apprenticeships in it now. I know people who left school with A levels and got onto an accounting apprenticeship with a starting salary of £17,000. Also, you don't actually need an accounting and finance degree to get into a that field.
xCaHx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Psychology BA, especially one without a placement year

A Psychology conversion course (MA) costs about £10,000-15,000 and is 1 year long, or 2 years if you do it part time. A Psychology BA costs £27,000. They both give you elibility to gain entry to the PhD in ClinPsy/EdPsy etc, which is when you're an actual Psychologist.

If you study Nursing or Social Work, you not only get valuable experience in your relevant area, but you also have a job after graduation and can start saving up to pay for the MA yourself. The only job you can get with a Psychology BA is 'assistant psychologist' which is a very, very hard to find job and which people mostly get through contacts or sheer luck. Support worker jobs are minimum wage jobs, they don't require BA's in Psychology. Compare this to Social Work, where you can work in a community mental health team or in CAMHS. You can even become an 'Approved Mental Health Practicioner' (amongst other things) where you can assess a person's capacity to consent to treatment have the power to keep people in psychiatric institutions etc. The same goes for Nursing - you can work more closely in Psychiatric hospitals, mental health teams, etc.

I really think that people who go for a Psychology BA don't realise just how disadvantaged they will be once they graduate, it's a lot of wasted money.
Last edited by xCaHx; 2 weeks ago
Hopefuls
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Biomed, psychology, law, business studies, accounting and finance.
JustCalledKatie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i’m surprised by the lack of hate for art based degrees (coming from someone who is doing a BA in textiles) and get but the at large discussion over science based degree.
unexpecteduk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Business Management
Anonymous #12
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JustCalledKatie)
i’m surprised by the lack of hate for art based degrees (coming from someone who is doing a BA in textiles) and get but the at large discussion over science based degree.
Art based degrees aren’t overrated, that’s why.
Anonymous #13
Report 2 weeks ago
Biomed, psychology and law! All are useful degrees except for the fact everyone assumes that because we need research into mental illness or disease such as Alzheimer's there's gonna be jobs straight after graduation. These degrees are honestly oversaturated and overrated tbh
So true, so many people go into these degrees.
I'm going to study Psychology and plan on becoming a teacher from it but so many people in my course want to become psychologists, which is great but most of them don't realise how long it takes and how competitive and difficult to get into, a lot seem to think they will be guaranteed a psychology job after 3 years.
I heard a similar thing about Law too and I just don't understand, do people not research the degree beforehand? A lot of them have misconceptions about how easy it will be to get a high, well paying job.
I also agree that a lot of people go into these kinds of degrees when then don't know what else to do, I'm not sure why though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.58%
Confident (14)
9.15%
Indifferent (16)
10.46%
Unsure (36)
23.53%
Worried (80)
52.29%

Watched Threads