Ban palm oil? Discussion

Watch
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Link to government petition (if you want) https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/308368

Basically it has very little nutritional value.
Is found in loads of products including ice cream, Nutella, crisps, shampoo, make up etc.
It’s used mostly because it’s cheap so allows companies to bulk out their products and make more profit.
Production on a large scale (as it is at the moment) leads to deforestation and then the burning of these trees which adds to gold all warming and increases CO2. Furthermore, destruction of habitat forces wild animals to live closer to us making the chances of outbreaks like COVID-19, Ebola and swine flu more likely as these all started in animals.

Discuss
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sophhhowa)
It’s used mostly because it’s cheap so allows companies to bulk out their products and make more profit.
I agree with the petition. But companies do it in order to satisfy people's insatiable appetite for cheap caloriphic food.

Blaming companies that satisfy consumer demand somewhat misses the point. What is needed is education so that consumers can make informed decisions. Industry will follow all too quickly.
Last edited by ByEeek; 2 weeks ago
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I see no particular point to banning it.. its a useful substance in countless foods, cosmetics, etc. I am curious what you suggest to replace it though? Given your former point noting itll raise prices.
Whilst you have a point on the environmental degradation (its quite a horrific sight flying into KLIA these days) banning palm oil isnt going to undo that damage.
Using the theory of diseases breaking out seems a touch specious though. I have heard of no reliable claim that the plantations can even remotely be linked to disease outbreaks. Especially given the supreme lack of wildlife in them.
Burridge
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
I see no particular point to banning it.. its a useful substance in countless foods, cosmetics, etc. I am curious what you suggest to replace it though? Given your former point noting itll raise prices.
Whilst you have a point on the environmental degradation (its quite a horrific sight flying into KLIA these days) banning palm oil isnt going to undo that damage.
Using the theory of diseases breaking out seems a touch specious though. I have heard of no reliable claim that the plantations can even remotely be linked to disease outbreaks. Especially given the supreme lack of wildlife in them.
I definitely see the point in banning it; the only issue is what to replace it with - synthetic alternatives seem to be a long way off. Palm oil is incredibly efficient and diverse in its uses - there's almost a global reliance on it. Harvesting it is incredibly damaging to the environment. Perhaps banning it isn't the answer just yet - encourage manufacturers to source it sustainably and invest in R&D for alternates.

I just don't follow the logic that since banning it won't undo the damage, there's no reason to ban it. Would you tell a 40 year old smoker who's been smoking since their teens there's no point in quitting since much of the irreversible damage has been done? Notwithstanding, allowing nature to reclaim this land back and re-foresting will encourage greater biodiversity and the repopulation of species threatened following palm oil harvesting practices (such as Sumatran orangutang).

Here's an interesting link citing the relationship between deforestation and the ebola epidemic. Featuring a quote from a WHO article saying "Some evidence suggests that the resulting forest loss, estimated at more than 80%, brought potentially infected wild animals, and the bat species thought to be the virus’ natural reservoir, into closer contact with human settlements"

http://www.forestheroes.org/how-palm...bola-epidemic/

I'd much rather encourage businesses to invest in alternatives and to use sustainable practices. An outright ban likely won't work at this stage but I wouldn't rule it out.
Last edited by Burridge; 1 week ago
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd rather support sustainable palm oil farming rather than a knee jerk ban.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Sophhhowa)
Link to government petition (if you want) https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/308368

Basically it has very little nutritional value.
Is found in loads of products including ice cream, Nutella, crisps, shampoo, make up etc.
Production on a large scale (as it is at the moment) leads to deforestation and then the burning of these trees which adds to gold all warming and increases CO2. Furthermore, destruction of habitat forces wild animals to live closer to us making the chances of outbreaks like COVID-19, Ebola and swine flu more likely as these all started in animals.

Discuss
One trillion percent agree!

It’s near impossible to tell if it was farmed sustainably and we can just substitute it for something that costs marginally more without destroying the world.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
I'd rather support sustainable palm oil farming rather than a knee jerk ban.
Nah mate look the issue up it’s absolutely awful.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by paul514)
Nah mate look the issue up it’s absolutely awful.
Yes, and you can't fix anything with knee jerk reactions.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Yes, and you can't fix anything with knee jerk reactions.
They can use a substitute.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If you can get it online, worth viewing the Documentary 'A Green Lie' or Die Grune Lauge (original title) which is very informative about the issues. I saw it at the Berlin film festival in 2018.
Kitten in boots
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
They can use a substitute.
Name one.

Even better, market your viable substitute to food manufacturers. You'll become an exceptionally wealthy individual.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
Name one.

Even better, market your viable substitute to food manufacturers. You'll become an exceptionally wealthy individual.
Depends on the product but here’s a link to what the bbc thinks

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...es-to-palm-oil
Kitten in boots
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Depends on the product but here’s a link to what the bbc thinks

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...es-to-palm-oil
The article only highlights the problem with your simple use a substitute argument. There is not a viable substitute at the moment.

I've worked in a lab researching novel biofuels from fungi. Identifying potential organisms is the easy bit, up-scaling production is the challenge and one that I'm not convinced will be solved any time soon. To quote the article:

It’s clear that for now, palm oil isn’t going anywhere. It’s nearly impossible to avoid, and just as difficult to replace.
IbeIC123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Many people rely on palm oil to survive as it helps the economy’s of third world countries and developing nations in sub Saharan Africa and south east Asia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
18.13%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (54)
27.98%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
53.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed