moso2203
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
currently a y12 student lol but i was thinking about long term career plans

applying for an education + psychology degree (has sufficient psychology content to be BPS-accredited)

but conflicted between doing a psychology or english PGCE.

i would prefer being a psychology teacher, but i'm aware that english is way more common and finding a job would be easier, plus the bursary is available for english and not psychology.

also, having an english PGCE and teaching both english and psychology would be possible since i have a degree in it. but having a psychology pgce and teaching english might not be since i only have an a-level in it

what are your thoughts?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
English every time. Very fee phychology jobs.

Good luck
moso2203
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
English every time. Very fee phychology jobs.

Good luck
there are schools that offer psychology, though - does this mean that they have unqualified teachers, or teachers who teach two+ subjects (like i might), or the jobs are only part time (eg my school only has a-level psych so the 1 teacher works part time)
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by moso2203)
there are schools that offer psychology, though - does this mean that they have unqualified teachers, or teachers who teach two+ subjects (like i might), or the jobs are only part time (eg my school only has a-level psych so the 1 teacher works part time)
No. They will probably have an enthusiastic English teacher who takes a phychology class to bulk out their timetable. Its unlikely to be a full time post.
TheMandalorian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by moso2203)
currently a y12 student lol but i was thinking about long term career plans

applying for an education + psychology degree (has sufficient psychology content to be BPS-accredited)

but conflicted between doing a psychology or english PGCE.

i would prefer being a psychology teacher, but i'm aware that english is way more common and finding a job would be easier, plus the bursary is available for english and not psychology.

also, having an english PGCE and teaching both english and psychology would be possible since i have a degree in it. but having a psychology pgce and teaching english might not be since i only have an a-level in it

what are your thoughts?
A PGCE in English would definitely provide more job opportunities because it is a core subject taught in Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4. Psychology is only taught at Key Stage 4 and many schools only offer it as an A-Level. However, to get onto a PGCE English program 50% of your degree must contain English content. This could be a problem if you have a degree in educational psychology as there is no English content on such a degree.
moso2203
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheMandalorian)
A PGCE in English would definitely provide more job opportunities because it is a core subject taught in Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4. Psychology is only taught at Key Stage 4 and many schools only offer it as an A-Level. However, to get onto a PGCE English program 50% of your degree must contain English content. This could be a problem if you have a degree in educational psychology as there is no English content on such a degree.
yep you're right! however, i am currently doing a-level english literature and am predicted an a/a*. some universities have said that if the degree isn't english related then an a-level is acceptable. is that ok?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed