The Student Room Group

Interesting history books recommendations??

Hey everyone :smile:. I’m about to go into year 11 and I’m doing History GCSE. I’m also applying to different sixth forms to do History for A-level and was wondering if anybody had suggestions for history books so that I can read around the subject. They can literally be about any period of history (whatever you found intriguing really) Thank you :smile:
I don’t believe WW2 is really covered at A Level but The Silver Spitfire and Band of Brothers are both excellent books :smile:

I enjoy reading the first hand accounts and “behind the scenes” details.
Reply 2
A couple i found interesting are;
Opium: realities dark dream - it traces the history of the drug and its effects on civilisation over the millennia. IT can be a bit whistle stop at times but it provides some interesting insights into and how it influenced the great civilisations of day
Pity the nation - on the history, primarily the civil war, in lebanon
Empire of the mind: a history of iran - self explanatory but it was written by one of the foremost experts on Persia/Iran and is a really good read
The Silk roads and the doomsday machine being great aswell
Too many to list on Russia but you get the point :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by CTLeafez
I don’t believe WW2 is really covered at A Level but The Silver Spitfire and Band of Brothers are both excellent books :smile:

I enjoy reading the first hand accounts and “behind the scenes” details.

Thank you so much, will definitely check them out
Reply 4
Original post by Napp
A couple i found interesting are;
Opium: realities dark dream - it traces the history of the drug and its effects on civilisation over the millennia. IT can be a bit whistle stop at times but it provides some interesting insights into and how it influenced the great civilisations of day
Pity the nation - on the history, primarily the civil war, in lebanon
Empire of the mind: a history of iran - self explanatory but it was written by one of the foremost experts on Persia/Iran and is a really good read
The Silk roads and the doomsday machine being great aswell
Too many to list on Russia but you get the point

Thanks for all the recommendations, they sound really interesting. :smile:
Reply 5
A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution by Orlando Figes was absolutely fascinating but it's around 800 pages so if you don't want to read that then I'll also recommend Revolutionary Russia: 1891-1991 also by Orlando Figes, which is a lot more condensed.
Reply 6
Original post by trapp14
Thanks for all the recommendations, they sound really interesting. :smile:

Is there any particular historical field you're interested in as i could probably put together a more detailed list if you like :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Sinnoh
A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution by Orlando Figes was absolutely fascinating but it's around 800 pages so if you don't want to read that then I'll also recommend Revolutionary Russia: 1891-1991 also by Orlando Figes, which is a lot more condensed.

Echo this. Figes is such a compelling storyteller
Reply 8
Original post by Sinnoh

Thank you, I definitely want to learn more about Russia
Reply 9
Original post by Napp
Is there any particular historical field you're interested in as i could probably put together a more detailed list if you like :smile:

That’s so kind of you. I’d say that I’m quite interested in 20th century USA, Roman and Greek history :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey there! Recently started reading lots of historical fiction and Philippa Gregory has some great books about the Tudor period and they delve a bit into Plantagenet history too. Her book 'The Constant Princess' is my favourite one of hers so far.
If you're just starting out reading historical fiction, Mary Hooper has some historical fiction books aimed at teenagers/young adults. Her book 'Newes from the Dead' is about the only known person to ever survive a hanging, she also has 'At the Sign of the Sugared Plum' which is based during the 1666 Great Plague in London. Last one (I promise haha) she also wrote 'Poppy' which is about a young serving woman who becomes a VAD during WW1.
The Mary Hooper books aren't based on real people (I don't think) but they teach you about what people ate, did etc during that historical period, whereas Philippa Gregory has her protagonists as real people (e.g: Katherine of Aragon in 'The Constant Princess') but we can't be sure what the historical figures were ACTUALLY like (I mean we can say they were intelligent, or shrewd or whatever but we don't know them inside out so take it with a pinch of salt). Hope this helps haha. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by TheHistoryNerd_
Hey there! Recently started reading lots of historical fiction and Philippa Gregory has some great books about the Tudor period and they delve a bit into Plantagenet history too. Her book 'The Constant Princess' is my favourite one of hers so far.
If you're just starting out reading historical fiction, Mary Hooper has some historical fiction books aimed at teenagers/young adults. Her book 'Newes from the Dead' is about the only known person to ever survive a hanging, she also has 'At the Sign of the Sugared Plum' which is based during the 1666 Great Plague in London. Last one (I promise haha) she also wrote 'Poppy' which is about a young serving woman who becomes a VAD during WW1.
The Mary Hooper books aren't based on real people (I don't think) but they teach you about what people ate, did etc during that historical period, whereas Philippa Gregory has her protagonists as real people (e.g: Katherine of Aragon in 'The Constant Princess') but we can't be sure what the historical figures were ACTUALLY like (I mean we can say they were intelligent, or shrewd or whatever but we don't know them inside out so take it with a pinch of salt). Hope this helps haha. :smile:

Amazing, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending