How does one become cultured?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Looking at other people my age and even younger, everyone knows so much about so much and have all sorts of talents and achievements, it made me realise i'm basically an uncultured swine since i'm not as smart so, how do you do it lol, what sort of things could one be cultured on? pls i need something new to do with my life haha
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Vary your materials and their genres (TV shows, movies, music, cartoons, anime, manga, graphic novels, literature, etc). Don't just watch comedy TV shows, but experiment with suspense, rom-com, historical, etc. Don't just listen to the same type of music like pop, but try rock, music from the 70s and 80s, alternative rock, rap, musical, etc. You get the idea.

Oh, and one more thing (which is probably the most important and the reason why everyone generally has a shallow/surface level of everything): read the wiki for everything and anything that even remotely catches your eye.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Also, watch documentaries and have a look at virtual exhibitions, until the real galleries and museums are open for a proper wander. Try some Shakespeare on iPlayer or some of the theatre productions that are online. Channel 5 has some good accessible history series and BBC4 has some amazing art documentaries and its Fridays nights are dedicated to music. Why not get a Sunday paper or the occasional magazine, like National Geographic or The Week?

Just push yourself a little bit to try something new and different. I'm not artistic myself (my 5yo nephew likes to correct my drawings!), but enjoy art, and whilst I was aware of artists like Pablo Picasso, Andy Warhol and Bridget Riley, I found I had a bit of a narrow view of their work (distorted faces; Elvis, Marilyn and soup cans; bright stripes, respectively). I went to exhibitions on them and it is incredible how much more versatile their work is.

Enjoy finding a whole new world!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (252)
57.01%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.99%

Watched Threads