Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Stay at my current school which has an average A/AS points per student of 721.7

Or Do the same A levels at a HE College with average A/AS points of 600.7 per student.

The college is slightly worse, however I feel it depends more upon the student. Also, the college would prepare me more for college life as my schools sixth form tends to treat sixth formers like year 11's.

Sorry to be asking this again...i'm just really nervous about starting my A levels, and want as many opinions as possible to help make a decision:p:

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you want.

I had real trouble choosing and my parents wanted me to go to college because they felt it would "get me into the real world". But i went to 6th form instead and i've been presented with many opportunities and competitions to get involved in that my friends who went to college didn't get.

I'm not sure if that really helped but i hope it did in some way.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm really torn between the two.

On one hand, I have sixth form. Where I have some friends, know the school, teachers, etc, and the possibility of doing better than at college. Plus I rather like wearing a suit

On the other hand there's college. New place, new start, new people. More freedom with appearance (I don't exactly conform to normal trends....), supposedly allows you to work more independently in preperation for uni.

I'm finding it really hard to decide and they both have induction days this Tuesday....doesn't give me long.

ReputationRep:
    just go to sixth form; a little bit of freedom now isn't worth the crippling failure that alot of people have when they aren't being chased up all the time anymore; saying that if you're disciplined enough then college could be great.
    better off with sixth form i say

ReputationRep:
    When i was thinking about this I made my decision to go to a 6th form because i knew the teachers - i knew what their teaching was like. And even if college does prepare you for uni more i wanted to be sure that i could get the grades i wanted for a decent uni.. I'm not saying college teaching is no good all i no is that you do have more freedom and they don't chase you up as much for work.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say better off with 6th form. You have a better chance of doing well there and i don't think that the freedom and independence of college is that much greater then 6th form. I also found myself getting to know people in 6th form that i would never have spoken to in year 11 and who are now really good friends of mine.

ReputationRep:
    As said before it really does depend on what you want. You seem to know the advantages and disadvantages of both and you're just going to have to go for one.

I was presented with an opposite situation to you - a well performing college vs. a poor/average school's sixth form where I would be limited with subject choice. I chose the college but switched after two weeks because it really wasn't where I wanted to be. Personally I found it difficult fitting into the impersonal, cliquey college and hated the travelling that I had to endure.

Sixth form will be different to school - even if you think it's not. There's more freedom and people have grown up and teachers treat you more like an adult/friend. Obviously I'm biased towards sixth form because that was what was right for me and I had a terrible experience at college but at the same time, I know plenty of people that enjoyed it. It's all about what's right for you - what you'd prefer. Make your decision and make the best of it - but don't think if you make the wrong one that's it for you .

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Well i went to college instead of staying on at 6th form and got straight A's at the end of it. I also had plenty of extracurricular activities that weren't available at my school's sixth form. I made new friends who i honestly couldnt live without and i'm more independant. All the people who stayed on at 6th form are stuck up idiots/ rahs. They said that i'd probably fail if i went to a college but i'm going to a better uni and got better alevels than like 95% of them.

Go to college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ezia)
    Well I'm really torn between the two.

On one hand, I have sixth form. Where I have some friends, know the school, teachers, etc, and the possibility of doing better than at college. Plus I rather like wearing a suit

On the other hand there's college. New place, new start, new people. More freedom with appearance (I don't exactly conform to normal trends....), supposedly allows you to work more independently in preperation for uni.

I'm finding it really hard to decide and they both have induction days this Tuesday....doesn't give me long.
    I was in the exact same situation as you! I really couldn't decide, although I have now decided to go to college I think (unless I change my mind by the 9th). But in my case the college is well better than the sixth form.

Go to college. I am and I don't know anyone!! Meet new people! You always reget the things you don't do.....

ReputationRep:
    going to a worse school doesn't make you better prepared for real life.

ReputationRep:
    I decided on sixth form even for my resit year because its easier to get to and a more familiar setting.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies
    I think I'm leaning towards sixth form.
    I hate how long it's taking me to make this decision
    And with the work, I needed much pushing throughout gcse's as I just couldn't be bothered. However it's my choice to do A-levels, and I'm really motivated to go to a decent uni. So meh

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.