iPad Pro or MacBook for chemistry degree at uni?

Watch
BeauJayce
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’m hopefully going to be doing chemistry at uni in October and I was wondering if I should get a MacBook Air or an IPad Pro with Apple Pencil and a keyboard. The iPads have improved a lot and I’m thinking of the drawing aspect in chemistry. I just don’t know how it is to write essays on the iPad and if it can handle it/ if it can have the same apps as MacBook. Which would be the better purchase?
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BeauJayce)
I’m hopefully going to be doing chemistry at uni in October and I was wondering if I should get a MacBook Air or an IPad Pro with Apple Pencil and a keyboard. The iPads have improved a lot and I’m thinking of the drawing aspect in chemistry. I just don’t know how it is to write essays on the iPad and if it can handle it/ if it can have the same apps as MacBook. Which would be the better purchase?
iPads are not particularly suitable as your main computer at uni, especially when you start getting into essays and dissertations given the generally poor experience of extended typing sessions of a tiny screen and generally mediocre keyboard covers. However chemistry is one area where they are beneficial for the drawing aspect as you've mentioned.

It is also the wrong time to be buying a MacBook, Apple are planning to move away from Intel processors and start using their own "Apple Silicon" processors instead, which will have big implications on the long term viability of the Macs they're currently selling.

Have you considered that for the price of the cheapest model of MacBook of £999, you could pick up an iPad of your preferred flavour for your drawing needs as well as a more powerful Windows laptop than the Mac would have been anyway?
TD2.718
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I use my iPad (5th gen) as my primary computer device and have no problems what so ever. I've written a 6000+ word dissertation on my iPad (Microsoft office) with ease, so it should be no problem for you. The only thing I would be wary of is if you need any special programs for chem which only run on Mac or pc. If you don't need any special programmes then I would suggest the iPad having used an both for a few years.
username5177602
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You should probably stick to a clamshell laptop as tablet type covers generally suck - besides you may need a proper computer should you need certain software. If you're willing to get a Windows laptop(there's little reason not to really), a good compromise would be a 2 in 1 laptop, like this Lenovo Flex 5. No, it's not a mac or an iPad, but honestly for £650 it's better from a value perspective, still allows you to take notes with a Pen(something like this one from Amazon for £10 would hopefully suffice) and actually has a proper keyboard that will be better for long term typing sessions(i.e. essays).
PSHA1812
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
When is everyone planning to get their laptops and from where?
username5177602
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by PSHA1812)
When is everyone planning to get their laptops and from where?
Normally waiting for back-to-school sales is the best idea. If you need help finding a laptop, there's a form you can use here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (193)
14.31%
I'm not sure (60)
4.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.13%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.74%
I'm not a current university student (666)
49.37%

Watched Threads