Watch
DSilva
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by generallee)
Yes it was rather sloppy of me.

The data doesn't support my premise, but that doesn't mean that there hasn't been the beginnings of a turning of the tide. Some of us always knew that from its very outset BLM was a nihilistic Marxist revolutionary organisation, but it takes a while for the mainstream to catch up with us. By the look of these polls there is still some catching up to do.

Of course the movement could have been co-opted by moderates and been a force for good, and made things better not worse, but how likely was that to happen? The US is like a bonfire drenched in petrol in racial terms and BLM is the match that is setting it ablaze.
Possibly, or it may just be the slight receding of the tide as the focus on the issue lessens as the news cycle moves on.

The reality is that BLM in America still enjoys large levels of support. Of course there are some loonies, but I don't believe that one can label that at 50% (or even 60% in some polls) of Americans who support BLM. They're obviously tapping into something, and while there's no shortage of silly stories about racist traffic lights, there appears to be no shortage of legitimate concerns either.
Last edited by DSilva; 1 week ago
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nabu123)
That's obviously some white guy trying to make fun of blm. I doubt it's real tho.

The reason why blm has lost support from white people is because it challenges there supremacacy and power, any time black people in america have tried to gain equality, they have quickly been silenced.
Great way to start opening race relation discussions, call the other side racist.

04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The notion that only white people's views matter is what white American liberals sub consciously think, funnily enough.
Do you have a source for this claim? :holmes:
generallee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by DSilva)
Possibly, or it may just be the slight receding of the tide as the focus on the issue lessens as the news cycle moves on.

The reality is that BLM in America still enjoys large levels of support. Of course there are some loonies, but I don't believe that one can label that at 50% (or even 60% in some polls) of Americans who support BLM. They're obviously tapping into something, and while there's no shortage of silly stories about racist traffic lights, there appears to be no shortage of legitimate concerns either.
We'll see how long that lasts.

America is a country divided right down the middle, as we are, but its political centre of gravity is palpably to the right of the UK. It is also far more racist than us.
generallee
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHallowvale)
So why did you claim that a majority disapprove of BLM?

Hell, the poll you gave doesn't even support your claim even if you only were to look at white Americans; 44% < 50%.
I didn't make such a claim, that is a straw man...

I said:

"The latest polls in the US show that more people now disapprove of BLM than support it."

SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I didn't make such a claim, that is a straw man...

I said:

"The latest polls in the US show that more people now disapprove of BLM than support it."
Which, again, still isn't true. The poll you gave found that a majority support it.
generallee
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Which, again, still isn't true. The poll you gave found that a majority support it.
Let's sum up our discussion.

I produced a poll which reports that 44% of white people disapprove of black lives matter whilst 42% support it.

I then made the inference from that more "people" now disapprove of the movement than support it. This was misleading as it should have been made clear that the sample set was of white people. I accepted this in another post.

You made the assertion that I had said that majority disapproved of BLM. This was incorrect, I hadn't said that.

You also made the assertion that I was wrong that a majority even of white people disapproved of BLM. That was incorrect too as I hadn't said that either.

Now you are changing the goal posts to say that a majority support BLM according to the same poll. This is irrelevant to our earlier exchange and is a transparent attempt to distract away from your straw man that has now been burnt.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Let's sum up our discussion.

I produced a poll which reports that 44% of white people disapprove of black lives matter whilst 42% support it.

I then made the inference from that more "people" now disapprove of the movement than support it. This was misleading as it should have been made clear that the sample set was of white people. I accepted this in another post.

You made the assertion that I had said that majority disapproved of BLM. This was incorrect, I hadn't said that.

You also made the assertion that I was wrong that a majority even of white people disapproved of BLM. That was incorrect too as I hadn't said that either.

Now you are changing the goal posts to say that a majority support BLM according to the same poll. This is irrelevant to our earlier exchange and is a transparent attempt to distract away from your straw man that has now been burnt.
Ah, okay. Will you update your OP to correct your mistake?
DSilva
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is very rare for the largest economy in the world to be economically devastated by a deadly virus too!

I thought Trump would win last time because I take an interest in the sort of US social media outlets that support him and they were red hot. The mainstream media were totally unaware of what was going on. In fact I won the best part of a grand at the bookies as I have always been a gambler and have to bet my hunches.

This time round it is very different. Those same media outlets are at best lukewarm, and at worst hostile. He has lost some of his base, and since everything else is lined up against him, that is terminal. It is a combination of his inept handling of the virus, his (perceived) weakness on immigration reform and above all in not standing up to BLM. As his supporters see it the entirety of American civilisation is being torn down by the left and his response has been a couple of tweets.

So I am not putting any money on him myself this time. Even though the odds are probably (I haven't even looked) even better. I could be wrong, of course, I often am, but I can't see him turning this round, absent some black swan event between now and the election.
Yes, his main card was the economy which he'd objectively done well on. But coronavirus has destroyed it. And his handling of the virus has been awful by anyone's standards. Arguably he's made our own govenemnt look competent in comparison.

Interesting (and pleasing) to see you turn against Trump, of sorts!
Last edited by DSilva; 1 week ago
Pinkisk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
And that's a no true Scotsman fallacy.
They lack accountability for their actions. This is not their only problem. They discourage others from making generalisations about themselves. However, they themselves are always quick to make generalisations. In fact, their entire movement is based on generalisations. They hate to link the violence that is pervasive within their movement to the movement itself, whilst they are quick to link any violence perpetrated by their opponents to the entire racial group of these opponents. They claim to be anti-racist. Yet, they exhibit racism, making negative generalisations about people based on nothing but the colour of their skin. This group of people is full of so many contradictions, many of which are a great risk to social welfare.

Worryingly, many highly prominent organisations, platforms and authorities have expressed support for this group of people. However, thankfully, many of these are now withdrawing their support, most having realised that this group of people is not what it claims to be.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 1 week ago
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is a combination of his inept handling of the virus, his (perceived) weakness on immigration reform and above all in not standing up to BLM.
His response to BLM definitely saw public support for him take a nosedive, but I don't believe it was because he didn't stand up to them. Tear gassing protesters and clearing out streets just so he could hold up a Bible and talk about himself didn't go down well with anyone.
JWatch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
They lack accountability for their actions. This is not their only problem. They discourage others from making generalisations about themselves. However, they themselves are always quick to make generalisations. In fact, their entire movement is based on generalisations. They hate to link the violence that is pervasive within their movement to the movement itself, whilst they are quick to link any violence perpetrated by their opponents to the entire racial group of these opponents. They claim to be anti-racist. Yet, they exhibit racism, making negative generalisations about people based on nothing but the colour of their skin. This group of people is full of so many contradictions, many of which are a great risk to social welfare.

Worryingly, many highly prominent and authoritative organisations, platforms and authorities have expressed support for this group of people. However, thankfully, many of these are now withdrawing their support, most having realised that this group of people is not what it claims to be.
At the BLM protests in London a lot of them were shouting that all police officers (including the ones in the UK) were murderers because of what one officer did in the US.
Roidrage69
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Looks real to me, disgusting. Child protecting services or whatever they call it need looking into the parents.
Susan Edelman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is sickening
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (36)
40.45%
Take autumn exams (32)
35.96%
Look for a job (2)
2.25%
Consider an apprenticeship (3)
3.37%
Take a year out (12)
13.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
4.49%

Watched Threads